Dentistry future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Solstica

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last time the feds (Clinton) take a look at the health care, they cut slack to the dental field but not so to medical field. Have any of you considered what you will do if the next time they revisit the issue and apply same pressure to dental field? With all the issues going on, it is a real possibility.

Members don't see this ad.

don't insurance companies pay about 20% for dental procedures, while they pay 80% for med? If that's the case, then even if dental worsens, the patient'll end up paying loads anyway.

option--- make the patients deal with the insurance companies. if they won't pay as much, then the patients'll end up paying more. even more, you can stop taking insurance completely (it's not like many, many people have insurance anyway).

As far as medicare, you could always stop taking it.

don't insurance companies pay about 20% for dental procedures, while they pay 80% for med? If that's the case, then even if dental worsens, the patient'll end up paying loads anyway.

option--- make the patients deal with the insurance companies. if they won't pay as much, then the patients'll end up paying more. even more, you can stop taking insurance completely (it's not like many, many people have insurance anyway).

As far as medicare, you could always stop taking it.

20%??? When was the last time you use your insurance? When was the last time you check out your dental bill? Most of the time people can't pay all those by cash... I think you're too unrealistic my friend. My PPO is 80 or 100% depends on procedure.

Members don't see this ad :)
20%??? When was the last time you use your insurance? When was the last time you check out your dental bill? Most of the time people can't pay all those by cash... I think you're too unrealistic my friend. My PPO is 80 or 100% depends on procedure.

yea. I don't have dental insurance. I brush. Invest in a high-speed toothbrush and a bottles of mouthwash, and you'll never have to see a dentist again. ha.

either ways, regardless of the percentage, the soln's the same. put it into a contract that the patient's responsible the the remainder of what insurance doesn't pay. (of course, don't overcharge. this charging-whatever-you-want gig can go overboard.)

yea. I don't have dental insurance. I brush. Invest in a high-speed toothbrush and a bottles of mouthwash, and you'll never have to see a dentist again. ha.

You aren't serious, are you??

yea. I don't have dental insurance. I brush. Invest in a high-speed toothbrush and a bottles of mouthwash, and you'll never have to see a dentist again.

don't go to dental school. this is one of the dumbest comments in the world. i can't even belive you are seriously trying to go into the profession with that idiotic mentality.

either ways, regardless of the percentage, the soln's the same. put it into a contract that the patient's responsible the the remainder of what insurance doesn't pay. (of course, don't overcharge. this charging-whatever-you-want gig can go overboard.)

Woah cowboy, do you think you outsmart the microbial world? I cannot imagine what kind of dentist you will become. LOL.

I think you seriously need more hours of shadowing to know the truth behind the scene and maybe this time more in the front office dealing with billings. Observe more on the ratio of Cash : Insurance and what kind of service or service difference they get.

Woah cowboy, do you think you outsmart the microbial world? I cannot imagine what kind of dentist you will become. LOL.

I think you seriously need more hours of shadowing to know the truth behind the scene and maybe this time more in the front office dealing with billings. Observe more on the ratio of Cash : Insurance and what kind of service or service difference they get.

Not every dentist takes insurance. Like one of the dentist that I shadowed, some dentists are opting not to take insurance or only a few insurance policies due to the difficulty of getting reimbursed. Since dentistry is becoming more heavily cosmetic based, I don't think we will have the same problem that physicians have with getting reimbursed by insurance companies. Just a thought.

Not every dentist takes insurance. Like one of the dentist that I shadowed, some dentists are opting not to take insurance or only a few insurance policies due to the difficulty of getting reimbursed. Since dentistry is becoming more heavily cosmetic based, I don't think we will have the same problem that physicians have with getting reimbursed by insurance companies. Just a thought.
Really? That's the first. Most of the ones I've seen prefer insurance as that is where the bulk of their assured income comes from. Is he general dentistry? What state are you in?

Really? That's the first. Most of the ones I've seen prefer insurance as that is where the bulk of their assured income comes from. Is he general dentistry? What state are you in?

chill. he used an example of one particular dentist. He didn't come close to implying more than that.

don't go to dental school. this is one of the dumbest comments in the world. i can't even belive you are seriously trying to go into the profession with that idiotic mentality.

relax people. I intentionally made an controversial statement. but anyway, a lil bit of alcohol nukes the bacteria, and the brushing does the rest.

but is it really rocket science? brushing well prevents tooth decay. oooohh...!!!

and mkogz, you wanna know what's dumb? ...your academic record! ...jk. I have no clue what it's like. but seriously, no need to blow up like a bomb. chillz out. it's all good.

The dentist that I was referring to is a periodontist in NY.

Most of the dentists here would prefer not to take insurance. When dentists here first start off they usually take everything because they don't have a big enough patient base to be picky. Once they can, a lot of them cut out Quest (medicade) and then HMSA, which is held by the majority of the state. Military insurance is pretty good though I hear.

HMSA only compensates local dentists 70% of what they give mainland dentists (HMSA is Blue Cross/Blue Shield). The can because they are basically a monopoly. They also restrict charges, so if a dentist feels the patient needs something that isn't insured, that comes out of the dentist's pocket. Many dentists feel the care they give their patients is compromised by insurance.

Quest actually pays more than HMSA, but if you accept BOTH HMSA and Quest, Quest will DROP THEIR PAYMENTS to match HMSA's rates!! Not much incentive to take insurance.

Most dentists on Oahu take some kind of insurance at least, since Oahu is saturated with dentists, but many that practice on the outer islands don't take any insurance.

Hope that helps explain the no insurance thing :)

Many dentists feel the care they give their patients is compromised by insurance.
Which is why being an MD must be frustrating at times!:( Hoepfully it never reaches that point for us.