Dentistry Is for me!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washington91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, So ever since I had my first cavity @ 12 years old, I have been in LOVE with dentistry, and over the years developed a fascination for the oral cavity. I had always liked going to the dentist, so when I knew I was going to have to "get my teeth drilled" as my dad said at the time, thinking I was scared, I couldnt wait for the appointment!! **I remember trying to go on the computer when I was 12 tryng to look up dentistry but I didnt really know what to look up at the time lol** The day of my appointment I was stoked! my dad said I didnt have to goto school that day or do my chores, I remember feeling like my older sister, who was in high school. :cool: When I got to the dentist, and sat in the chair I was beyond excited! And the questions began....I started asking about all the different instruments, and why she had to use them, She answered all my questions about what the instruments were and also told me about the importance of flossing! she explained everything she was doing and why, while she was doing it. It was music to my ears:love: and my love had been declared for dentistry. After the procedure was done, my mouth felt poofy like it was swollen but looked normal, I thought that was cool. ******FastForward***** (that was just a lil background on what is now my obsession and how it developed lol)
So now Im an adult lol in CC working on my AA Direct Transfer Degree intending to transfer to UW, declare my major, start prepping for the DAT,shadowing( so far I have only Spoken to dentist) so on and so forth, and then get into UW School of Dentistry.!!!

I have full course loads (15 Credits) and I am workstudy at my school because it is convenient with the amount of time I spend on campus, I DONT LIKE THIS!!! IM BROKE ALMOST ALL THE TIME!!!!! and have just enough money to make it until the next month lol. I cant really work a actual job like MCDs that ISNT flexible with scheduling like most employers, soooo I came up with a plan. Im midway through this CNA course currently. In WA state right now CNAs are in demand, being so the pay is decent, and from what I have been seeing, benefits. You know whats even better? LPNs!!!! the pay is almost double what cnas make and the program is designed to be completed in 4 quarters(assuming you have the prereqs done). I am willing to take a year off my dental path to pursure this so that I will not have to struggle throughout this journey and save money for dental school :)

I know its reflects poorly on applicants that were in med school(or other health profession) and decided to use dentistry as a backup but this is different. With dentistry being the light at the end of the tunnel, I am willing to do whatever it takes to get there. this way, I will be financially stable and wont have to think twice about how I am going to pay for this that or the other, therefore I will be able to fully focus on whats important, which is my studies!

THIS IS WHERE I NEED YOUR EXPERTISE:

How will this reflect on me when I apply to dental school? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

What you need to take is some sort of barbiturate to calm you down.

It does not reflect poorly for you to go into dentistry. With good grades and test scores, and othe ECs of course, you can get in somewhere.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For a moment, i thought this was your personal statement...

Thanks! I get so excited talking about dentistry sometimes...oops. I just want to be the PERFECT applicant !

I'd say go for it! Finish your CNA course and work as a CNA while you prepare for dental school admission. They'll understand that you need a well-paying job to make a living. Just make sure you are shadowing at the same time so they don't doubt your dedication to dentistry. I see that you are really passionate about it! :)

A few of the jobs I had were actually medical-related, business-related, etc, and I don't think that it affected me negatively at all. In fact, I think it shows that I've looked into other professions and am making a well-informed choice.

:thumbup:
I'd say go for it! Finish your CNA course and work as a CNA while you prepare for dental school admission. They'll understand that you need a well-paying job to make a living. Just make sure you are shadowing at the same time so they don't doubt your dedication to dentistry. I see that you are really passionate about it! :)

A few of the jobs I had were actually medical-related, business-related, etc, and I don't think that it affected me negatively at all. In fact, I think it shows that I've looked into other professions and am making a well-informed choice.

My 2 cents... It would be a complete waste of time to pursue an LPN for a year. Not only do you waste a year of precious time, but you will also be paying tuition for the LPN, which could have gone toward reg tuition or living expenses.

Furthermore, your broke I get it. But suck it up, most students out age are broke. If you need to, take out a little more in loans to cover you.

Lastly, i guarantee you will not be able to save anything significant toward dental school as a part time LPN. Also, you will only get to work as an LPN for 2 years, because it is pretty impractical to work in d-school. And who is to say your LPN job would be flexible with your schedule.

To me the cost vs benefit is simply not there. And it seems like a distraction. Try getting a job in a research lab at UW or tutoring. They usually pay around 10 bucks an hour.

Thanks for your opinion! Nothing is set in stone, just speculating.

Thanks! I get so excited talking about dentistry sometimes...oops. I just want to be the PERFECT applicant !

I think, one thing that you need to consider is to not make your essay sounds cliche. The interviewers/ adcom might see it as a desperate move to get into dental school. I am telling you this, because in one of my interviews, I was asked if I was just saying things; does not really mean it.

So, rather than saying "I am CRAZY IN LOVE WITH DENTISTRY," I think it will be much better if you show it through list of activities that may show your passion. You can definitely say that you have great passion in dentistry, explicitly. But, remember that talk is cheap. (I could make fake stories and nobody would know...), so you gotta back your statement up. ^__^

Good point lol. I just got on this site started reading everything and was overwhelmed with excitement, Im calm now;) thanks for your input!
I think, one thing that you need to consider is to not make your essay sounds cliche. The interviewers/ adcom might see it as a desperate move to get into dental school. I am telling you this, because in one of my interviews, I was asked if I was just saying things; does not really mean it.

So, rather than saying "I am CRAZY IN LOVE WITH DENTISTRY," I think it will be much better if you show it through list of activities that may show your passion. You can definitely say that you have great passion in dentistry, explicitly. But, remember that talk is cheap. (I could make fake stories and nobody would know...), so you gotta back your statement up. ^__^

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with UltrimateHombre about not studying to become an LPN because that would be more money + lots of time. I think you should finish your CNA course though since you've already paid for it and you're almost done. The pay is not bad and you'll get plenty of experience working with patients, which will help with your bedside manners. It might even give you a lot to talk about in your personal statement and interviews!

Good point lol. I just got on this site started reading everything and was overwhelmed with excitement, Im calm now;) thanks for your input!

Haha! no problem at all! best of luck to you, dude! :)

So now Im an adult lol in CC working on my AA Direct Transfer Degree intending to transfer to UW, declare my major, start prepping for the DAT,shadowing( so far I have only Spoken to dentist) so on and so forth, and then get into UW School of Dentistry.!!!

So the bolded above is your list of goals. You are at a CC intending to transfer to UW after 2 years, finish a 4 year degree, so you can get into dental school.

I have full course loads (15 Credits) and I am workstudy at my school because it is convenient with the amount of time I spend on campus, I DONT LIKE THIS!!! IM BROKE ALMOST ALL THE TIME!!!!! and have just enough money to make it until the next month lol. I cant really work a actual job like MCDs that ISNT flexible with scheduling like most employers, soooo I came up with a plan.

But you do have enough money to live off of, right? As annoying as it is, that's all you need. To have a budget that works and live within that budget.

Im midway through this CNA course currently. In WA state right now CNAs are in demand, being so the pay is decent, and from what I have been seeing, benefits.

So you are taking one CNA class, or are you going to finish a CNA degree before you transfer? I interpreted this as you taking one CNA class.

You know whats even better? LPNs!!!! the pay is almost double what cnas make and the program is designed to be completed in 4 quarters(assuming you have the prereqs done). I am willing to take a year off my dental path to pursure this so that I will not have to struggle throughout this journey and save money for dental school :)

Do you really want to waste your time becoming an LPN if what you really want to do is become a dentist? I think this is a colossal waste of time.

I completely agree with what UltimateHombre said, you will be wasting time getting your LPN if what you truly want to do is dentistry. You might even add tuition on top of that, and that doesn't make any sense. Plus, your LPN job might not even fit with your class schedule. UltimateHombre is right on point.

If dentistry is your ultimate goal, why waste time with getting a different degree that will not help you get to dental school?

Oh man. Do not do this. Stay in school full time and figure out how to finance the rest of your undergrad. You don't need to save money for dental school; you'll take out loans for that.

I know it sucks being broke all the time but let me tell you, I am the king of being broke. Us college students joke about ramen noodles all the time, but at times in my college career I have literally depended on ramen noodles for survival. I don't know the meaning of eating out, I can't afford nice clothes. I take the bus to campus because I can't afford to put gas in my car. I go to bed hungry most days of the week because I can't afford food.

Seriously, it SUCKS. But I don't complain, because 1) I know all this suck will be worth it when I finally make it to dental school. 2) How can I complain when starving African children have it way worse than me? :p

You say you barely make enough to make it to next month. That's doing damn good to me. You don't need nice things, just pay the necessities, don't die of starvation, and dream big about the future where you won't have to live like this anymore.

Apply for grants, take out loans. Or live in a box. Just don't take time off.

Oh man. Do not do this. Stay in school full time and figure out how to finance the rest of your undergrad. You don't need to save money for dental school; you'll take out loans for that.

I know it sucks being broke all the time but let me tell you, I am the king of being broke. Us college students joke about ramen noodles all the time, but at times in my college career I have literally depended on ramen noodles for survival. I don't know the meaning of eating out, I can't afford nice clothes. I take the bus to campus because I can't afford to put gas in my car. I go to bed hungry most days of the week because I can't afford food.

Seriously, it SUCKS. But I don't complain, because 1) I know all this suck will be worth it when I finally make it to dental school. 2) How can I complain when starving African children have it way worse than me? :p

You say you barely make enough to make it to next month. That's doing damn good to me. You don't need nice things, just pay the necessities, don't die of starvation, and dream big about the future where you won't have to live like this anymore.

:eek::idea::thumbup:

After I left my former career, I did a CNA course (it is 2 weeks or 10 full days + 1 exam). It cost around $900, which is reimbursable if you work in a setting that receives medicaid patients. It was great experience that allowed me to develop my skills working with those less fortunate and allowed me to not be grossed out by anything. It is a physically grueling job, and you will see things that make you feel like the system is fatally flawed. However, I highly recommend the experience.

At all my dental school interviews, they loved this experience. I explained I wanted patient contact and the flexible scheduling hours while performing a service greatly in need. They loved it.

You are able to work 12 hour shifts which help with the paycheck. I eventually took a job working for an individual with a terminal illness in his home for $24/hr. In a long term care center, expect to earn 12-15$/hr. This is much better than a student worker job, and you can work overnights and weekends to get full time hours while in school. I personally did 3 12 hr shifts on Fri/sat/sun to get full time hours.

PM me with any questions.

You sound like one of my close friends. I am fortunate to be able to be better off, so I would make my parents get me 1.5-2x the meals I needed for the semester so I could take her to the dining hall with me. I hope it's working out better for you currently as far as $$ is concerned and that you get in somewhere this application cycle.

Stay strong.

You sound like one of my close friends. I am fortunate to be able to be better off, so I would make my parents get me 1.5-2x the meals I needed for the semester so I could take her to the dining hall with me. I hope it's working out better for you currently as far as $$ is concerned and that you get in somewhere this application cycle.

Stay strong.
Haha, no it's fine and It's really my choice. I could take out more loans and be fine but I don't want any unnecessary debt going into dental school. It used to bum me out more but now I just laugh it off; one day I'll be making good money and I feel like I'll appreciate that better after being so broke in college. At this point I just don't care anymore because this is my last semester. If I get into dental school, YAY. If not, I can work for a year and make money, YAY. It all works out.

:thumbup:^^That was awesome!:thumbup:

Last edited:
:thumbup::thumbup: