Dentistry Vs. Medicine: Give It Your Best Shot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunmoon6689

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been struggling to decide between the fields of Dentistry and Medicine. I was wondering if people could give me their honest opinions regarding the positives and negatives of each profession. I do not intend for this to be a bashing session of one profession or another, but instead a respectable debate regarding two great career options. I would appreciate all feedback. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been struggling to decide between the fields of Dentistry and Medicine. I was wondering if people could give me their honest opinions regarding the positives and negatives of each profession. I do not intend for this to be a bashing session of one profession or another, but instead a respectable debate regarding two great career options. I would appreciate all feedback. Thank you very much.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=323548

I would recommend talking to both types of doctors -- physicians and dentists -- and try to shadow them as well. There are a lot of similarities, but there are huge differences as well that you should very easily be able to pick up after spending a few days with each.

And remember, we're not even IN dental school yet. How much weight do you really want to put on our opinions?

Mack

Members don't see this ad :)
go into medicine...less competition for me, plus if you can't see why dentistry is the best you and medicine are a perfect fit. good luck!

Listen, it's not about more or less competition for me, it's about really knowing what you want. For as long as I can remember I wanted to do medicine, I wanted to be a surgeon, and the best at that. I was closed off to all my other options, and didn't look what every other field had to offer. Don't look at the salary, choose a field because you love it, not because you want the money. I know plenty of doctors and dentists who wish they were something else. They make plenty of money, but are completly miserable. I started looking into dentistry when i took a good look around me. I'm a very family oriented person. Family will always come first. I then broke it down, I love working with my hands, i'm always paying attention to detail, and between you and me, being great at one thing, is better than being good at everything. Which was the case with medicine for me. If I choose general practice, you get stuck doing everything, it's too stressful, and you end up having no life. Some of the better specialties in medicine will lead to being in school for practically the rest of your life. Dentistry is more comfortable, equally competitive now, and AFTER you've made your decision, is very rewarding. Hope that helped.

go into medicine...less competition for me, plus if you can't see why dentistry is the best you and medicine are a perfect fit. good luck!

I think terms of statistics dentistry is more competetive. But, in my opinion, medicine is much harder to get into because of the quality of applicants. Dentistry may have a bigger pool of applicants but medicine's pool of applicants, for the most part, have a higher GPA. The MCAT is an 8 hour test!! lol.. that mustve sucked. But yeah, for either careers you have to work your butt off during undergrad or at least ace the DATS :D . In medicine, there are a lot of options: you can go DO, DPM, or even foreign MD, which in my state makes up 30% of the doctors. So their is always a fall back plan for medicine, but for dental school that is not the case (unless you want to go foreign but i think that is a terrible idea).

I shadowed both in my early days and I wouldnt mind being either. But if I were to go foreign MD or DO, it is almost certain that i would become a GP. Some people love it, but i have a young child and a wife and if i were to become a GP than that would almost guarantee that I would be in the hospital all the time and not be able to spend time with my family. On the other hand , General dentists make just as much money as GPs and don't have to go through residency (in my state) and work less hours on the average. SO for me, it was a lifestyle choice more than anything. Some people are going to tell me that you should really decide on what you want to do by what you like, but life is not always like that and believe me when you have a child, your perspective on life changes. I'm pretty sure boys and girls didn't aspire to be a garbage men/women when growing up but they have no choice because you need to feed your family.

Medicine, in my opinion, is still more competitive to get into than dentistry. The average GPA of medical applicant is higher than that of a dental applicant. Yes, one could argue that there less dental schools to apply to and I don't refute that. However, I think that there are less dental applicants too. I think that underlying reason for many more qualified people applying to medical school is the hype about becoming an MD (just think about all the medical shows out there, Grey's anatomy, ER, etc), the perception about $$$ and prestige and of course, belief that you could help people.

As for DOs, foreign medical schools and DPM (foot doctor, not really MDs), the competition for these spots are comparable to dentistry, if not less. DO students and some foreign medical students still have a pretty good chance of getting into a specialty. Ie, St. Georges--they have outstanding residency placements.

However, I believe that the market will correct itself in the near future and dentistry will become just as competitive if not more than medicine. Looking at the stats for Canadian dental schools, I was surprised to find that the stats for dental school applicants are better than for medical school applicants for the same institutions--I guess nationalized healthcare hit Canada pretty hard. Years back, dentists were earning $80k and doctors $100k. Now dentists on average earn 130K and primary care practitioners 150K (salary.com). Even some sources (WSJ, ADA) state that dentists are earning more than primary care practitioners.

The field is definitely a lot less stressful and in many cases, less years of school. It requires creativity (in terms manual dexterity and aesthetics) that I think medicine can't match. The rate of increase of dentist's salary surpasses physician's salary, mainly b/c managed care has hit medicine the hardest and dentists can more easily resort to self-pay procedures (ie, cosmetics). Specialization has become more accessible to dental students. The future is very bright for the dental profession.

if you want to be involved with your family and basically have a life, you might want to stay away from medicine. every doc i shadowed told me that it is extremely hard to have a family with that profession and to stay away from it if i was family oriented. both professions have +/- but you have to look at how important those +/- are to YOU. how many hours do you want to work per week? dentists work way less, but they also get less respect than doctors. medical school gives you more options, but there is tons of competition within medical school for residencies. dont get me wrong, there is competition in dental school as well, but if you know you want to do general dentistry you dont get caught up in it. i think time is the factor that really influenced me. dentists are the only health profession that works less than 40 hours a week. they generally have more pull over what days and times they work and rarely have emergencies that keep them from sleep, vacations, etc. good luck!

Did anyone look into Optometry? I just heard there was Physics on the OAT and I gave it up.