Dentistry vs Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently accepted into an optometry program for this fall. However, I sometimes think that I would be a better dentist. I am starting to think that I am crazy to even think about changing, but I don't want to start optometry school and then wish I hadn't started. I absolutely love the field of optometry, but I think I would be equally happy as a dentist. I haven't ever taken the DAT, but I have taken the OAT. I was wondering if anyone has taken both. I am sure that not many people have, but maybe a few(???) To those of you who have never taken the OAT my score probably won't make much sense, but for those who have, my score was a 350. I am currently a 3rd year student with a 3.95 GPA. However, my pre-reqs would be coming from a community college because I have already completed them. If I would have to retake my classes at a 4 year university, I would definately not even consider dentistry. Does anyone think I have a good chance of getting in if I tried? Am I crazy for even thinking about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like you GPA is excellent. All you need to do is take the DAT and do well. You'll have to put on your application that you applied and were accepted to Optometry school. So, you'll need to be able to clearly explain why you changed your mind, because you WILL be asked.

JavadiCavity said:
Looks like you GPA is excellent. All you need to do is take the DAT and do well. You'll have to put on your application that you applied and were accepted to Optometry school. So, you'll need to be able to clearly explain why you changed your mind, because you WILL be asked.

I agree with JavadiCavity. If you are seriously considering a switch I encourage you to contact a couple of dentists in your area and shadow them so you can not only observe the day to day in's and out's of dentistry but also ask them questions about the profession, their lifestyle, and so on. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The Dental AdComs will gladly accept pre-recs from any accredited community college. They may look more favorably upon a 4-year University, but honestly with a 3.95 GPA, you will not have any problems getting in.

A 350 OAT score is about 90%-ile and has a Natural Science (NS) section, a Physics section, a Math (QR) section, and a reading section (RC). This is very similar to the DAT. The DAT has the same sections almost exactly, but instead of physics, you have a Perceptual Abilities Test (PAT). On the DAT, a 90%-ile score is around a 20. Therefore, with some studying there is no reason why you cant get an excellent score and gain acceptance to many schools.

If you are a 3rd year student, you could finish your 4 year degree right before you matriculate into dental school.

the OAT and the DAT are very very similar.

the only diff is that DAT has no physics, but instead it has PAT (3D stuff and counting some stuff). Also the DAT's reading comp may be a little longer but about the same.
If u did well in your OAT then u will do just fine for the DAT

Biogirl361 said:
hey, thats my name :mad: :laugh:

At first I thought it was you talking about optometry. I was thinking "what the f".

Rezdawg said:
At first I thought it was you talking about optometry. I was thinking "what the f".

lol yeah at first when i saw it i thought it was a troll taking my name and trying to get ppl mad at me or something.. but she appears to be harmless :D

I agree with most posters, but if you do decide to apply to dental school do your research. Tufts Univ, for example, strongly encourages its applicants to take their pre-reqs from a 4-year university. In fact, they told me that if I were to take biochemistry at a community college that it would hurt my application even though I have taken all of my other pre-reqs from a 4-year school.

As someone who debated the same decision myslef - I had thought seriously of doing optometry before I finally decided on dentistry - I just wanted to let you know that , like Javadi said, they WILL ask you why the switch. I didn't even take the OAT or apply to any optometry schools, and they still hit me with that question on my interviews (which kinda threw me for a loop - I wasn't sure how they knew about my previous intentions, until I realised that my advisor must have put it in my LOR. Still, it was strange. :eek: ) So be sure to have a good honest answer prepared.

Good luck!

I am sorry Biogirl361. I didn't even know that anyone else on this forum had a similar name. This was actually the first time that I had looked on any of the dental links. Thank you for everyone who responded to me. I think I am just freaking out. Sometimes it just gets to me about the lack of respect people have for optometrists. Trust me, it will probably get old when people think you only had to go to school for 2 years to get an OD. So not true!! We are not opticians. Or the ongoing battle between Ophthalmology and optometry. After a while, it kind of wears on students when ophthalmology students say that we are crap and are endangering our patients. I'm still not 100% sure what I am going to do. I will definately try to shadow a few dentists though. Thanks again!!

I was the same way, but I ended up deciding to go into dentistry for a couple of reasons.

1. Optometry is kind of becomming the mcdonalds of the medical professions because there are so many chains out there, and because of their size it is exceedingly hard to start your own practice.
2. Optometry school is a crap load of debt, comparable to dental school, but dental school has a sizable salary difference.
3. Most optometry graduates are having to work for corporate optometry practices because of debt load, and with most corporate practices working on the weekend and during the night is the norm.
4. Wal-Mart Eye Care.
5. I don't know if this is having any effect, but lasik vision scares me. If lasik does become cheaper and safer it could have a sizable impact on the optometry sector.
6. I want to feel like a doctor not a professional eye glass salesman.

Good luck!

biogirl,

the DAT and OAT, like people mentioning it before, are almost the same. just replace the physics with PAT, and that's it. in fact, kaplan teaches the two courses together--only when it is time for physics/PAT, then they separate the two classes.