Dentistry vs. Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided that I would enjoy doing either pharmacy or dentistry. Money and job outlook and now the deciding factors.

For pharmacy, is this career outlook great? There are a lot of pharmacists and pre-pharm students in the country right now, will this make it more difficult to get a job? And more difficult to to get paid as high as you want?
Dentistry looks like a great career on a lot of levels; flexibility and salary in particular. However, there is a lot of debt that you must pay before you even think about making money. First, most dental schools are longer and more expensive than most pharm schools. From what I've seen, after 4 years of undergrad, and 4 years of dental schools my debt could be as high as $300,000 in loans. While, a six-year pharmacy school looks like only about as high as $200,000 in loans (not to mention that I get out in the workforce two years earlier than I would if I would be a dentist, so I would be able to pay off some of debt with my salary those two years). Second, my plan is to start a practice with my brother (who's 5 years older than me) within 5 years out of dental school, this is another probably $300,000-500,000 in loans I must pay. In pharmacy my plan would be to just find a job, I wouldn't have to buy a practice, I wouldn't have that debt like in dentistry. Lastly, dentists have to buy their own health insurance (probably about $10-20,000 per year now). Pharmacists are most likely given benefits.

So, what is the better financial decision, pharmacist (less salary, less debt, questionable outlook) or dentist (higher salary, more debt, more financial responsibility)?
Also, since a lot of people saw how good of a job pharmacy was and then everyone started going into pharmacy (making too many pharmacists than needed), will the same thing happen to dentistry?

Members don't see this ad.

dentistry >>> everything

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you want to hear from the people here on this Dental Forum?

Reactions: 2 users
I have decided that I would enjoy doing either pharmacy or dentistry. Money and job outlook and now the deciding factors.

For pharmacy, is this career outlook great? There are a lot of pharmacists and pre-pharm students in the country right now, will this make it more difficult to get a job? And more difficult to to get paid as high as you want?
Dentistry looks like a great career on a lot of levels; flexibility and salary in particular. However, there is a lot of debt that you must pay before you even think about making money. First, most dental schools are longer and more expensive than most pharm schools. From what I've seen, after 4 years of undergrad, and 4 years of dental schools my debt could be as high as $300,000 in loans. While, a six-year pharmacy school looks like only about as high as $200,000 in loans (not to mention that I get out in the workforce two years earlier than I would if I would be a dentist, so I would be able to pay off some of debt with my salary those two years). Second, my plan is to start a practice with my brother (who's 5 years older than me) within 5 years out of dental school, this is another probably $300,000-500,000 in loans I must pay. In pharmacy my plan would be to just find a job, I wouldn't have to buy a practice, I wouldn't have that debt like in dentistry. Lastly, dentists have to buy their own health insurance (probably about $10-20,000 per year now). Pharmacists are most likely given benefits.

So, what is the better financial decision, pharmacist (less salary, less debt, questionable outlook) or dentist (higher salary, more debt, more financial responsibility)?
Also, since a lot of people saw how good of a job pharmacy was and then everyone started going into pharmacy (making too many pharmacists than needed), will the same thing happen to dentistry?

300k for dental school? If you go private or OOS you are looking at 500k after 4 years, anything is a better option than that. If you can keep your dental school loans below 200-250k, dentistry will still be a very financially rewarding career for you. How much do pharmacist earn and how many hours per week on average? Dental associates average around 150k while practice owners average 200k.

Reactions: 1 user
I used to work for a Dentist who was a pharmacist before he became a dentist. He said the second time he was held up at gunpont he realized dentistry would be better fit for him. My sister in law is a pharmacist and she has ben held up 4 times at gun point. So there is that...

In my opinion, this is not a decision that strangers on the internet should be making for you.

You seem to know enough about the the two to make a decision. Financially speaking, dentists are going to out earn pharmacists, especially if you have an instate school.

My cousin is a pharmacist, and no offense to her or any other pharmacists, but that is a job I couldn't handle for long. The tedium and monotony would get to me quickly. I can't help but feel that you are essentially a highly paid retail associate working for one corporate chain or another. I guess that if you can handle the monotony then consider it, but I don't think pharmacy and dentistry are anything alike.

I suppose it would be more interesting to be a hospital pharmacist, but they seem to burn out quickly (at least the ones in the ER do).

As far as pay and loans go, pharmacists generally have less debt than dentists, it's true, but they also earn significantly less in general. Furthermore, a dentist's ability to earn is correlated to their business acumen and their motivation to build their skill set and patient pool. Pharmacists are paid on scale like highly paid employees. There are plenty of pharmacists around, and they don't really have the option to go private anymore.

Also, anyone who doesn't realize how big a difference $200,000 from $120,000 or $150,000 per year is, probably hasn't worked a normal full-time job to support themselves. Most people in this country consider a $50,0000 - $60,000 annual salary to be a good income. The difference between $200k to $150k is an entire normal household's annual income!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacy is an excellent career, but from what I have been told by a recent UMB grad, the market is saturated. I am sure this saturation varies from state to state so I am sure this isnt a blanket statement

I am currently a hospital pharmacist starting dental school this year. Message me if you want.

My cousin is a pharmacist, and no offense to her or any other pharmacists, but that is a job I couldn't handle for long. The tedium and monotony would get to me quickly. I can't help but feel that you are essentially a highly paid retail associate working for one corporate chain or another. I guess that if you can handle the monotony then consider it, but I don't think pharmacy and dentistry are anything alike.

I suppose it would be more interesting to be a hospital pharmacist, but they seem to burn out quickly (at least the ones in the ER do).

As far as pay and loans go, pharmacists generally have less debt than dentists, it's true, but they also earn significantly less in general. Furthermore, a dentist's ability to earn is correlated to their business acumen and their motivation to build their skill set and patient pool. Pharmacists are paid on scale like highly paid employees. There are plenty of pharmacists around, and they don't really have the option to go private anymore.

Also, anyone who doesn't realize how big a difference $200,000 from $120,000 or $150,000 per year is, probably hasn't worked a normal full-time job to support themselves. Most people in this country consider a $50,0000 - $60,000 annual salary to be a good income. The difference between $200k to $150k is an entire normal household's annual income!
So much this. Dentistry is the best of all the health fields, and these are only some of the reasons why.

Members don't see this ad :)

Pharmacists, like MD general practitioners, arent looking too good, arguably now, but more so in the next 10yrs. With advancements in AIs and robotics going the way theyre going, many will be out of the job come the 2020s. This is one of the reasons I chose dentistry: greater job security.

But even ignoring encroaching AI, the market for pharmacists is becoming very saturated especially in cities. If you want to make good money having your own pharmacy(s) would be the way to go. Working for a corporation, like you want, means youll be earning less money working just as hard (or more likely even harder) than your counterparts who are their own bosses. Side note: there might be a market for small "mom & pop" type pharmacies; I myself and many other go to one, many people get fed up w/ big chain corp pharmacies b/c they sometimes dont carry what they need, seem too uncaring/cold, etc.

I considered pharmacy before but, amongst many other reasons, I decided against it. Counting pills, having to deal with insurance myself (in your own dental practice you could hire someone else), and being a glorified cashier werent right for me. And the median salary and the upward mobility of increasing your income within your profession alone was unimpressive in comparison to dentistry.

(Oh yeah for your dental loan you dont have to force yourself to pay it all back immediately after graduating. Pay the minimum monthly you can and direct your remaining funds to starting your dental practice with your brother a year (or 2 if you need it be) after you graduate. Once business starts rolling, your annual income for 5yrs will dwarf what youll make as an associate for 5yrs, and youll be able to repay larger sums of your student loan and squash it without living ultra frugally. The business loan wont be as bad since youll be working w/ your brother.)

Pharmacists, like MD general practitioners, arent looking too good, arguably now, but more so in the next 10yrs. With advancements in AIs and robotics going the way theyre going, many will be out of the job come the 2020s. This is one of the reasons I chose dentistry: greater job security.

But even ignoring encroaching AI, the market for pharmacists is becoming very saturated especially in cities. If you want to make good money having your own pharmacy(s) would be the way to go. Working for a corporation, like you want, means youll be earning less money working just as hard (or more likely even harder) than your counterparts who are their own bosses. Side note: there might be a market for small "mom & pop" type pharmacies; I myself and many other go to one, many people get fed up w/ big chain corp pharmacies b/c they sometimes dont carry what they need, seem too uncaring/cold, etc.

I considered pharmacy before but, amongst many other reasons, I decided against it. Counting pills, having to deal with insurance myself (in your own dental practice you could hire someone else), and being a glorified cashier werent right for me. And the median salary and the upward mobility of increasing your income within your profession alone was unimpressive in comparison to dentistry.

(Oh yeah for your dental loan you dont have to force yourself to pay it all back immediately after graduating. Pay the minimum monthly you can and direct your remaining funds to starting your dental practice with your brother a year (or 2 if you need it be) after you graduate. Once business starts rolling, your annual income for 5yrs will dwarf what youll make as an associate for 5yrs, and youll be able to repay larger sums of your student loan and squash it without living ultra frugally. The business loan wont be as bad since youll be working w/ your brother.)

You realize a business loan will bring the take home pay of an owner down to that of a fresh grad until he pays it off right?

You realize a business loan will bring the take home pay of an owner down to that of a fresh grad until he pays it off right?
My suggested plan for OP is very rough, I came up w/ it on the spot for his situation so it has kinks that need to be worked out.

Yes, it's likely that your debt load will be more as a dentist, but your earning potential is much, much greater. Pharmacists start out at a nice salary, but, unless they own their own pharmacy, their future earning are limited. We have several friends that are pharmacists. Their salaries have gone up about $50,000 in the past 20ish years. You also work for someone else as a pharmacist vs being your own boss. Health insurance would be a business expense and a tax deduction for the business so your net cost would be roughly the same as having a group plan at whatever pharmacy and paying your premiums that way. With most pharmacies having several pharm-techs, your interaction with people is more limited as a pharmacist--that is good or bad depending on your personality, and it's very likely you will end up at a mail order type place with no patient interaction except over the phone.

It is just really depends on which career you like better I guess. You seem to be really focused on the money side of the career though and that right there could be a big issue with dental school admissions.

All the while building equity in a business which can be sold when the practitioner moves on / retires... It's like buying a house which pays you to own it and becomes more valuable with time.

How's this: A dentist can prescribe a patient a certain drug, where the individual would pick it up at the pharmacy from a pharmacist. See how the hierarchy of power is?

How's this: A dentist can prescribe a patient a certain drug, where the individual would pick it up at the pharmacy from a pharmacist. See how the hierarchy of power is?

I don't think the pharmacist is required to fill that script, especially if it looks questionable.

A dentist can prescribe but it can't be dispense without a pharmacist so I don't know where you're going with that.

I don't think the pharmacist is required to fill that script, especially if it looks questionable.
Haha why would it look questionable? Are you implying dentists don't know what they're doing?

And I'm pretty sure the pharmacist wants to get paid so he or she should do his/her job

Last edited:
Haha why would it look questionable? Are you implying dentists don't know what they're doing?

And I'm pretty sure the pharmacist wants to get paid so he or she should do his/her job

Point being, the dentist isn't 100% in-charge like you made it sound. Pharmacists can decline to fill a script if they feel the need to. There are limits to a dentist's scope. Stick to your Abxs and NSAIDs.

Then some other pharmacist is going to do it? Lo

But where is the hierarchy you speak of though? A dentist can't prescribe without a pharmacist to dispense the meds and a pharmacist can't dispense without a script so it's a check and balance?

But where is the hierarchy you speak of though? A dentist can't prescribe without a pharmacist to dispense the meds and a pharmacist can't dispense without a script so it's a check and balance?

doctors and dentists originally did not need pharmacists. the role of the pharmacist was to increase productivity and efficiency, due to a large patient population. In a business perspective, doctors/dentists hired pharmacists and gave them jobs (this is a boss - employee relationship). As the employee, of course you can choose not to work. But you need the money.

Last edited:
Point being, the dentist isn't 100% in-charge like you made it sound. Pharmacists can decline to fill a script if they feel the need to. There are limits to a dentist's scope. Stick to your Abxs and NSAIDs.

*Pharmacists will fill the script if they need to. I would say a pharmacist needs the money more than a doctor/dentist no?
Here's a logical way of thinking about the hierachy: A patient comes to the pharmacy because he/she trusts the prescription of the doctor/dentist. The patient does not necessarily need to pick up their rx, so it is confirmed that the patient trusts and essentially needs the doctor when they arrive at the pharmacy. The role of a pharmacist is to cater to the needs of these patients. So it's actually out of the pharmacists control to say no, and also unless you want a bad customer reputation (which is the epitome of a hospital - to provide medical attention). Now think about it. A pharmacist is working for the patient who is getting instructions from the doctor/dentist. Patient needs doctor. Pharmacist needs patient. therefore pharmacist needs doctor/dentist.
See the hierarchy now?

Patients go to the hospital to see the doctor not the pharmacist. drugs are secondary, and therefore so is the pharmacist. some patients don't even get Rx's and the pharmacist is irrelevant

Last edited:
I know financial aspect of the two is something that one should definitely consider, and yes it is important. But after all, those two professions are completely different as in what they DO. Do what will make you happy for the rest of your life. I know dental schools are very expensive, but I just simply cannot think of myself working other than as a dentist, I love this profession, and I will for the rest of my life.
It seems to me that you are trying to decide pretty much by their financial aspects of the two, and their outlook in the future.
Pick what you can love and enjoy for the rest of your life! I think this should be your main thing to consider about.

I know financial aspect of the two is something that one should definitely consider, and yes it is important. But after all, those two professions are completely different as in what they DO. Do what will make you happy for the rest of your life. I know dental schools are very expensive, but I just simply cannot think of myself working other than as a dentist, I love this profession, and I will for the rest of my life.
It seems to me that you are trying to decide pretty much by their financial aspects of the two, and their outlook in the future.
Pick what you can love and enjoy for the rest of your life! I think this should be your main thing to consider about.
Very well stated :thumbup:

*Pharmacists will fill the script if they need to. I would say a pharmacist needs the money more than a doctor/dentist no?
Here's a logical way of thinking about it: A patient comes to the pharmacy because he/she trusts the prescription of the doctor/dentist. The patient does not necessarily need to pick up their rx. The role of the pharmacist is to cater to the needs of these patients (when a patient arrives at the pharmacy, it is confirmed that they are willing to start on these drugs). So it's actually out of the pharmacists control to say no, and also unless you want a bad customer reputation (which is the epitome of a hospital - to provide medical attention). The doctor's prescription is just an advice/suggestion to the patient (again, a patient does not need to pick up the RX). But when they do arrive at the pharmacy, the pharmacist is the one catering to someone who's trust is in someone else other than the pharmacist (this someone else is the doctor/dentist). see the hierarchy now?

Patient needs doctors, pharmacist needs patient, pharmacist needs doctor. Patients go to the hospital to see the doctor not the pharmacist. drugs are secondary, and therefore so is the pharmacist. some patients don't even get Rx's and the pharmacist is irrelevant

I don't think pharmacists get paid commission for the number of scripts they fill, so the argument of 'pharmacist needs the money more, thus they have to fill every script' doesn't even has a logical basis bro. Physicians and dentists both respect pharmacists and it's not just because they help them save time or whatever you think. But yeah, good luck giving your friends Ambien scripts. I'm sure the pharmacist will check their privilege and just let that slide by because you're a dentist lol

I don't think pharmacists get paid commission for the number of scripts they fill, so the argument of 'pharmacist needs the money more, thus they have to fill every script' doesn't even has a logical basis bro. Physicians and dentists both respect pharmacists and it's not just because they help them save time or whatever you think. But yeah, good luck giving your friends Ambien scripts. I'm sure the pharmacist will check their privilege and just let that slide by because you're a dentist lol

Pharmacists get paid for them doing their job - catering to patients needs for drugs. that is also what a hospital is supposed to do lol

no matter what, the pharmacist needs the prescription written by a doctor or a dentist to do his job. sometimes patients don't get rx's and they just see the doctor. in this case, what it comes down to is...that the doctor is getting paid and the pharmacist is not.

Last edited:
Pharmacy. Dentistry blows. All of that schooling, all of the debt, only to PEAK at 150-200k...when you are like 45, angry patients having unreal expectations, HIGH OVERHEAD. I would take the pharmacists job any day. THERE IS NO MONEY IN DENTISTRY. I regret everyday that I chose this profession, and I'm at what many would consider a "good" school(I don't buy into that line of thinking). Your back will ache, you'll age faster(due to the stress and time hunched over), and you'll end up far worse off financially than the pharmacist. Feel free to PM me, my personal advice, now and always, DON'T DO DENTISTRY. I wouldn't do it for a 1,000,000.00$ a year to be honest, and I love money more than anything else in my profession.

Pharmacy. Dentistry blows. All of that schooling, all of the debt, only to PEAK at 150-200k...when you are like 45, angry patients having unreal expectations, HIGH OVERHEAD. I would take the pharmacists job any day. THERE IS NO MONEY IN DENTISTRY. I regret everyday that I chose this profession, and I'm at what many would consider a "good" school(I don't buy into that line of thinking). Your back will ache, you'll age faster(due to the stress and time hunched over), and you'll end up far worse off financially than the pharmacist. Feel free to PM me, my personal advice, now and always, DON'T DO DENTISTRY. I wouldn't do it for a 1,000,000.00$ a year to be honest, and I love money more than anything else in my profession.
Just because you are a miserable human doesn't mean you should come on here and talk crap about the profession. You are a D2. Quit. Go to pharmacy school, or do whatever. I read one of your other posts where you wrote getting into dental school is a joke and you hate working with your hands. If you are such a genius, you would have figured that out BEFORE you even applied to dental school. That would be like a pharmacy student posting not to go to pharmacy school because he hates working with drugs. Save your crying for yourself. With a post saying there is no money in dentistry, and within the same post saying you can peak at 150-200k. Do you have any idea what the average family income in the country is? I'm certain you do with your great intelligence. If it isn't for you, fine, but your post is a personal hatred of the job and not an honest evaluation of the profession. Go to one of those professions where there is some money, to you one that makes over $200k. If you would have figured out the obvious before dental school, somebody who appreciates it could have had your spot. Interviews are designed to weed out people like you who want into dental school for all the wrong reasons, and obviously your school failed in that regard.

Last edited:
Hope dental school starts getting better for you bud!

Dentistry is the best profession in the history of the world. Well, maybe second best. First best is professional video gamer.

Either way, GO DENTAL!

Ew.
That's it?:barf:

Yes there's no physical work/stress involved with Pharmacy. It's not like they stand on their feet all day and deal with angry customers or anything. CVS got their backs.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow that dude is going to be miserable at this rate. Did he lie about shadowing hours or something? He's acting like it was all a surprise. I will feel sorry for his future patients to have to deal with him.