Dentistry vs. Physical Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBI603

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't decide which one to go for. I'm not asking anyone to pick either for me since most of you would favor dentistry anyways. I'm just having a hard time deciding and wonder what you all did when you were deciding which career to go for. I'm planning on shadowing both and seeing which one I like better. I've done a ton of research on both. I can honestly see myself doing both and being happy but obviously I have to choose one.

To tell a little about myself, I'm average at science. By the time I'm done the pre requisites I'm expecting something between a 3.1-3.5. Right now I have a 3.3. In terms of GPA I know that for physical therapy schools they don't require organic chemistry so that would be one burden I wouldn't have to endure. I'm pretty average in science making B's and maybe a C here and there. My average grades in science and my poor standardized test taking skills could hurt me majorly for the DAT. I have a better shot with the GRE. What really draws me to physical therapy is that I have a background in athletic training which would help. There are more physical therapy schools than there are of dental schools. The dental schools in PA are either really expensive or extremely competitive like Pitt. I don't even think I can count on my hands how many physical therapy schools there are in PA. I planned on attending a California graduate school but there are just as many negatives to attending a California dental school as there are for a PA dental school. This is where my age shows because you definitely can't plan on getting into any dental school. It just doesn't happen like that and I know that. However, the chances of me getting into a physical therapy school whether it be PA or California, are way higher than a dental school.

What draws me to dentistry is that I think I would enjoy that type of work and also being my own boss after being an associate but I can be my own boss as a physical therapist too. The acceptance rates to dental school is way lower than physical therapy and way harder. Now I'm not sure about this one but I think the salary to debt ratio is higher in dentistry. I think it would take longer to pay off in dentistry but I'm not sure about that.

What would you guys suggest I do to pick between the two? Or maybe I should do both. Bo Jackson did it.

Members don't see this ad.

The two seem like very different fields to me but I was a health insurance agent for 7 years and my entire childhood I thought I would be an architect. Go figure!

I was working for Delta Dental Insurance and that's how my interest began. Shadowing further solidified my interest. Definitely didn't have the GPA for it but I went for it anyway. I earned great scores on the DAT and now I'm in.

I'm a firm believer that you don't know what you want to do in life until you start doing it. So shadowing ASAP is a must. I'm not sure about PT schools but you really have to show your passion for the field to get into these dental schools. So get a taste, build your passion, pursue your dreams and don't hold back. Best of luck!

I plan on doing that as soon as finals are over. I'm so anxious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure. Look into different specialities as well. Your shadowing experience should be broad. It's not much time... Just 4 hours a day, once or twice a week is fine.

It sounds like you've done a lot of research - shadowing is a great way to envision yourself in the line of work, so that is good that you are looking into it.

If in the end you still can't decide, you might want to consider the debt you will have to take on with dentistry, versus physical therapy. You may make more in the long run with dentistry, but you have to think about the four years in dental school where you'll be scraping by, and a few years after where you'll be facing a debt that tops 300 K in most cases due to interest. It is definitely something that you can manage if your heart is in it, but if you can be just as happy with physical therapy, that might be easier on you for the next 8-10 years. Aside from professional goals, look at your shot and long term personal goals to help decide. Good luck!

Stay in PT. Come back after you shadow. I don't know how much you would enjoy working in a 4-inch diameter orifice, making 2 mm cuts all day long with your back hunched forward and dreading the fear of developing carpal tunnel syndrome and back problems. Many patients, by default, hate coming to you as a dentist but don't necessarily hate you. The patient's opinion of your chair-side manners and personality and your retaining their business become increasingly important when the patient anticipates stressful and painful surgeries. As a PT, people generally come in with a positive attitude towards you and your profession. The type of work you do as a PT is on the opposite side of the spectrum when compared to that of dentists.

As far as salary goes, read this
http://www.forbes.com/sites/learnve...will-make-you-happy-hint-its-less-than-75000/

I've also been thinking about the burnout. I have bad feet and figured at least dentistry would allow me to do work sitting down but then I started thinking about the hunched back and the strenuousness of working with my hands in a very small space. Definitely don't know how my body would be able to take it. Thanks for the responses.

Don't make any decisions until you have shadowed each field imo.

Be careful if you are assuming that dental school will be an absurd amount of debt compared to pt school... I have multiple friends that have 200K in debt from pt school and came out making around 35K a year and just can't get out of the whole they dug themselves in.

In the end, its not all about money though, and like the others said you definitely need to start shadowing asap. You need to find something that you love enough to do your whole life while still enjoying it each and every day.

I can't decide which one to go for. I'm not asking anyone to pick either for me since most of you would favor dentistry anyways. I'm just having a hard time deciding and wonder what you all did when you were deciding which career to go for. I'm planning on shadowing both and seeing which one I like better. I've done a ton of research on both. I can honestly see myself doing both and being happy but obviously I have to choose one.

To tell a little about myself, I'm average at science. By the time I'm done the pre requisites I'm expecting something between a 3.1-3.5. Right now I have a 3.3. In terms of GPA I know that for physical therapy schools they don't require organic chemistry so that would be one burden I wouldn't have to endure. I'm pretty average in science making B's and maybe a C here and there. My average grades in science and my poor standardized test taking skills could hurt me majorly for the DAT. I have a better shot with the GRE. What really draws me to physical therapy is that I have a background in athletic training which would help. There are more physical therapy schools than there are of dental schools. The dental schools in PA are either really expensive or extremely competitive like Pitt. I don't even think I can count on my hands how many physical therapy schools there are in PA. I planned on attending a California graduate school but there are just as many negatives to attending a California dental school as there are for a PA dental school. This is where my age shows because you definitely can't plan on getting into any dental school. It just doesn't happen like that and I know that. However, the chances of me getting into a physical therapy school whether it be PA or California, are way higher than a dental school.

What draws me to dentistry is that I think I would enjoy that type of work and also being my own boss after being an associate but I can be my own boss as a physical therapist too. The acceptance rates to dental school is way lower than physical therapy and way harder. Now I'm not sure about this one but I think the salary to debt ratio is higher in dentistry. I think it would take longer to pay off in dentistry but I'm not sure about that.

What would you guys suggest I do to pick between the two? Or maybe I should do both. Bo Jackson did it.

This is kinda . . . . In lame terms , a pointless question,

I say become a dentist.

But on the other hand you have to understand these are two very different careers!

With one you will get patients with pain in the mouth caused by teeth and

In the other occupation you'll get pt with pain or stress around the body caused by muscles or a post traumatic situation and maybe nerve damage in a worst case scenario ( I'm assuming)

Hey if you do both , you can give your pt some oral anesthesia and while waiting for the effect, charge an extra $50 bucks for a massage . Lol

I know that most schools for DPT are 2~3 yrs program which saves you tons of money with cheaper tuition. Meanwhile DDS/DMD is 4 yrs program with high tuition fee. So, it's cheaper to go PT school. I also saw some PT applied DDS/DMD program after they're done with DPT program.

This is kinda . . . . In lame terms , a pointless question,

I say become a dentist.

But on the other hand you have to understand these are two very different careers!

With one you will get patients with pain in the mouth caused by teeth and

In the other occupation you'll get pt with pain or stress around the body caused by muscles or a post traumatic situation and maybe nerve damage in a worst case scenario ( I'm assuming)

Hey if you do both , you can give your pt some oral anesthesia and while waiting for the effect, charge an extra $50 bucks for a massage . Lol

bias much hahah

Physical therapy. Your GPA will get you into cheaper and better schools than it would dentistry. You'll end up going to NYU or USC and die of debt. :thumbdown:

My brother just graduated PT school, and I know that he really enjoys how grateful some of his patients are. Much like dentistry, you are going to have people that hate you because you "cause them pain (because they don't do the exercises you tell them to do everyday)." He also had a hard time deciding between dentistry and pt, but he didn't shadow a dentist before he decided on PT. I'd agree with what a majority of the people above are telling you. Shadow both a pt and a dentist and see which one fits you best. There are positive and negative aspects to both professions, and shadowing will give you a better idea of what those are.

Another option is to become an MD or DO [with your gpa this would be the easier route] and then do PM&R.

The median expected salary is $200,339 dollars with most of the physicians making $1788,888 to $224,545. This range is actually only a little more than family medicine salaries. The maximum reported salary is $313,000 dollars.

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation doctors are often called Physiatrists for short or PM&R docs for even shorter. They specialize in rehabilitation medicine which focuses on improving a patient's functional ability and quality of life.

Patient's who have disabilities from stroke or car accidents or worse may need help getting back to their baseline daily living. Physiatrists use medications, physical therapy, adaptive devices, orthotics, and electrodiagnostics.

These doctors work in private practice, academics, and in the hospital. They also have a pretty good lifestyle with mostly no call.

http://www.mdsalaries.net/2011/10/physical-medicine-rehabilitation.html

Last edited: