Dentists going back to Canada or US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ledermix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time, long time....

There are plenty of threads on medical students trying to go back to Canada or the US but I haven't seen too many for dentists. While I know the path back is pretty clear for foreign dental graduates - need to write a set board exams and complete an accredited 2 year advanced placement programme - what is happening with the accreditation process with the dental schools in Sydney and Melbourne and in the near future UWA as well?

A little background about myself - I'm originally from Canada, came to Australia for dentistry (the old undergraduate programme), graduated, now working in private practice. When I first came here I was planning to go back following graduation, write the exams and do the 2-year advanced placement and work in Canada. But obviously having been here for so long I now have kind of built a life here and am completely prepared to stay here long-term. However, should the opportunity present itself and should the mood strike, I might still want to go back and I think the reasons are pretty obvious to those of us who frequent these forums.

So I guess I have a couple of questions:

1) Should the accreditation of USyd, UMelb, and/or UWA be approved what happens to the graduates of those programmes? Do they simply write the Canadian/American board exams and if they pass can go back to register with the Canadian/American Dental Boards?

2) What about those of us who have already graduated, working in Australia and are looking to go back if these schools receive accrediation? I know there is no grandfathering in these cases but does anyone know what the process might be? I'm wondering if these schools might establish some sort of Advanced Placement programme and we might be able to write the boards here and get in to the programme here, graduate and then go back?

Anyone with any updates, insight, information please enlighten us. Are there any other IDGs who were wondering this or am I the only one? And what does everyone think of this Denticare scheme that may be looming?

Peace,
Mr. ledermix

Members don't see this ad.

I know the path back is pretty clear for foreign dental graduates - need to write a set board exams and complete an accredited 2 year advanced placement programme - what is happening with the accreditation process with the dental schools in Sydney and Melbourne and in the near future UWA as well?

Not every US state requires you to complete a US/Candaian dental degree in order to get a license. Some states only require 1-2 years of general dental residency.

Maybe you should contact this guy for more info (that is what he did):

http://www.gigharborsmiles.com/html/meet.html

I only know the situation in Canada, but competition is stiff with the 2-yr qualifying programs. Accreditation (AFAIK) in Australian schools has nothing to do with them ever being recognized in North America as being equivalent. You may have to spend several years competing against immigrant dentists for the limited spots in qualifying programs. Not trying to be negative but please research before coming back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only know the situation in Canada, but competition is stiff with the 2-yr qualifying programs. Accreditation (AFAIK) in Australian schools has nothing to do with them ever being recognized in North America as being equivalent. You may have to spend several years competing against immigrant dentists for the limited spots in qualifying programs. Not trying to be negative but please research before coming back.

I think at least BC, Qubec, and Alberta if not already.. will soon be granting licensure to foreign dentists who have completed a US/Canadian specialty program. I know of an Aussie dental graduate who is doing this now.

By the way.. what the heck is AFAIK?

don't most US/Canadian specialties require you to have gone to a US/Canadian dental school for your DDS/DMD

A little background about myself - I'm originally from Canada, came to Australia for dentistry graduated, now working in private practice.
Peace,
Mr. ledermix

You know there are plenty of American and Canadian dentists who would equally like to work in Australia, but who aren't interested in doing 2 more years in an Australian dental program (Adelaide Uni has a 2 year bridging program for foreign dentists), or sitting through the lengthy and expensive ADC examination process. The Australian economy has been doing much better than our North American counterparts which also means that on average you will be seeing a lot more patients who may be better able to pay for treatment. Also, Australia has some of the best private health funds which pay well for treatment, not to mention current innovative goverment funding programs for patients to seek treatment in private practice (teen plan, and EPC programs).

I would count yourself lucky to be working in Australia as a Dentist. I know you may have family back in Canada. Which may be difficult... but you can still visit your family on holidays. Many dentist who are working in the US or Canada may work in different states or provences far away from their family and may not get back that much more to visit anyways.

Regardless.. good luck. I hope you find happyness in your work and life.

don't most US/Canadian specialties require you to have gone to a US/Canadian dental school for your DDS/DMD

Every US program is different. There are Heaps of postgrad residency programs that accept internationals. PM me and I'm happy to give you a list to help you further.

You know there are plenty of American and Canadian dentists who would equally like to work in Australia, but who aren't interested in doing 2 more years in an Australian dental program (Adelaide Uni has a 2 year bridging program for foreign dentists), or sitting through the lengthy and expensive ADC examination process. The Australian economy has been doing much better than our North American counterparts which also means that on average you will be seeing a lot more patients who may be better able to pay for treatment. Also, Australia has some of the best private health funds which pay well for treatment, not to mention current innovative goverment funding programs for patients to seek treatment in private practice (teen plan, and EPC programs).

I would count yourself lucky to be working in Australia as a Dentist. I know you may have family back in Canada. Which may be difficult... but you can still visit your family on holidays. Many dentist who are working in the US or Canada may work in different states or provences far away from their family and may not get back that much more to visit anyways.

Regardless.. good luck. I hope you find happyness in your work and life.

I'm not even sure how dentists in Ontario earn a living. There seems to be 1-2 dentists in every corner plaza all over the GTA. Way too much competition.

Good discussion so far. Yeah I know what Frank Cavitation is saying and I believe that any 2-year programme in Canada and the US as well as the GPRs will be very competitive.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here in Sydney, I have a life here, working is great and I have committed to residing here. But going back to Canada (maybe US) will always be in the back of my mind. Whether I would act on it is another question. Going to do a GPR in the US and then finding a way back to Canada/US is a huge leap for me at this stage (very preliminary stage at that).

I was merely wondering what might eventuate with the Aussie dental schools aligning with the North American system - for those students and graduates of the pre-accredited courses.

Cheers,
Thanks for the info.

I'm not even sure how dentists in Ontario earn a living. There seems to be 1-2 dentists in every corner plaza all over the GTA. Way too much competition.

health insurance, health insurance, health insurance.

health insurance, health insurance, health insurance.

Bingo.

I don't know any dentist that makes less than a medical doctor, except maybe for plastic surgeons and other medical specialties that can be done privately in Canada.

Some dentists make 400K/yr right after they graduate from school, they just join an established firm and charge insurance lots.