Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Denver Programs?

Discussion in 'Podiatry Students' started by bikeit7, Apr 27, 2007.

1. bikeit7

bikeit7 New Member

Medical Student
    I'm looking for info regarding the Presby/St.Lukes vs Norhtern Colo (Greeley) programs (externship and residency). Specifically, I would like input from students that have externed or visited these programs. Why/why not did you rank these programs. Was the externship a good learning experience? After the externship/visit were your expectations exceeded/met/not met? Strengths/weaknesses?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    Both programs are great. I did my first externship at PSL. They really kicked my _ss into shape. They read articles all the time - journal club is every monday and it is very intense. They pimp you all the time in the OR. The main motivator for me was that I did not want to look like a dumb_ss avery day so I read all the time. They have very high surgical numbers like 40 cases a week at least. 20 some attendings and 20 some locations. A great library in the hospital w/ 24 hour access. You need a car but the hotel costs are re-imbursed by the program (nice hotel too - pool, internet, gym, next to wal-mart). They also have clinic for the 1st and 2nd years about once or twice a week depending on the rotation. They do great diabetic wound care - Dr. Morgan is great, nice guy, really smart, likes to teach and do research. They have cadaver labs, student or resident lectures every thursday night. They have a cirriculum set up so on the 1st thursday lecture of the year for the 1st years they do a lecture on wound healing and suture material. This way all the residents get a review and the 1st years all learn the same info year after year. The 2nd and 3rd years also have a schedule of lectures. They also have one saturday a month of case presentations over the internet w/ the texas program that Dr. Samuel Mendicino runs, where the attendings from the oppisite program pimp the presenting residents on the case. They have to do a research project every year. They have x-ray conference where Dr. Ng pimps the residents and students on the cases.
    They are extremely well prepared for taking licensing exams and to be presenters at conferences as well as competant surgeons.

The bad - they do not have many inpatients, they do not get called very much for trauma or emergencies. Some look at this as good, but I want to be prepared by my program to deal with anything.
    They are extreemly selective, I ranked them but not very high because I knew other people who were more likely than me to go there seeing as I do not think that they ranked me.

Now for N. Colorado.

I spent my second month at Greeley. I really liked this program as well. This program is about 6 years old (I think) and was partly created by PSL grads. I learned tons there too. They have a heavy surgical case load, but not as much as PSL. They do journal club, but not as intense as PSL. They visit with Dr. Burns in Fort collins for biomechanical stuffs. They visit w/ ponsetti in Iowa (may change with retirement?). They go to Alabama in 3rd year for Ortho rotation w/ foot and ankle orthopod. They also have a great diabetic wound care rotation w/ Drs. Jensen and Jaakola, as well as sports medicine. They do research and may have NIH grants for such. There is alot of driving for this program - from Fort Collins to Denver. PSL offered N. Co to join in on the saturday case studies and No. Co declined. They have more in-patients than PSL and if on call you get calls for DM wounds often and may have to round on patients in hospitals in Denver to Greeley.

Both of these are great programs w/ attendings that really care about their residents. I would have gone to either one but was not their top choice.

4. Dr. Gangrene

Dr. Gangrene AZPOD 2011
    Moderator Emeritus

Podiatry Student
    So when you ranked, did you rank either of these ahead of Inova? You mentioned you did not think PSL was a good fit for you (or that you did not think they would rank you high). If you were the ultimate decider, would you have preferred pSL or greely over Inova? Thanks for the reply.

5. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    That is a very tough question.
    I honestly did not know if Inova was ranking me either. The only reason that I put Inova as high as I did was because my husband did not want to go to NJ so I said fine and ranked Inova 2nd just so the list did not look like UMDNJ was such a top choice. Since I did not think Inova was ranking me I thought I was going to end up at UMDNJ (and I would have been happy with that).

When I was at PSL I thought is was the best program, I was very impressed, but it was also the first program that I visited. I think their resdients will have great training and preparation.

The thing that sets Inova apart is the 3rd year when we do 4 3month rotations one being at Georgetown w/ plastics (Attinger and Steinberg).

I also would have gone to No. Colorado.

I'm glad that some of the programs made the decision for me. I know a few people that were ranked #1 at many programs that they liked and then had avery tough decision to make. It was hard for me to choose how to rank the programs but not nearly as hard as if you know you will get your first choice but are unsure what you want.

If I were you I'd visit both of those programs and definitely do an externship with PSL.

6. bikeit7

bikeit7 New Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for the good info.

Anyone else?

7. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think I am the only one on here that visited except skibum - PM him for a reply.

And, I'm just curious, but what else have you heard about these programs or why are you interested in them?