Department Chair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xClashx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a clerkship at my home institution in the specialty i am interested in. At that time, the attending I was working with was the department chair. As the new year started, they switched the department chair (the private group rotates the position every year). When I fill out the request for LOR from ERAS, do I select the option that they are the department chair?

Members don't see this ad.

I did a clerkship at my home institution in the specialty i am interested in. At that time, the attending I was working with was the department chair. As the new year started, they switched the department chair (the private group rotates the position every year). When I fill out the request for LOR from ERAS, do I select the option that they are the department chair?
Nobody cares.

Reactions: 2 users
Nobody cares.
well, most IM programs want a dept chair's LoR...they will care about that.

To the OP, would ask the Clerkship Office if they would consider the attending that was the dept chair at the time would be considered to be a designee that can represent the chair...otherwise its usually not a big deal to get the Chair letter from the the current Chair.

non-US IMG applying to IM here.

First question:

I have done one of my electives in US where I worked with a chair of medicine subspecialty whom I am planning to get an LOR. Does this letter counts as chair letter? or is the chair letter that programs mention should be Chair of Medicine at my home institution?

Second question:

Although, some programs do mention that this chair requirement does not apply to IMGs, a lot of them don't mention at all. In the light of non-US letters are considered useless, should I upload a chair letter from my home institution or should I upload an additional US LOR?