dependent/independent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm dependent on my parents 2006 income tax but I won't be in 2007 when I enter medical school. Which years do will school consider? The only information they have is 2006 forms so do they base financial aid on this? I ran a practice financial aid program both ways - independent, my efc is 0 - dependent my parents efc is $37000. What a defference, is there any way around this? My second year won't be a problem but what to do for 2007?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm dependent on my parents 2006 income tax but I won't be in 2007 when I enter medical school. Which years do will school consider? The only information they have is 2006 forms so do they base financial aid on this? I ran a practice financial aid program both ways - independent, my efc is 0 - dependent my parents efc is $37000. What a defference, is there any way around this? My second year won't be a problem but what to do for 2007?

Independent seems to best explain your circumstance. As a graduate student, based on what I have read by others on this board, you do not need to include your parent's information. Good luck.

Independent seems to best explain your circumstance. As a graduate student, based on what I have read by others on this board, you do not need to include your parent's information. Good luck.

Yep, grad students are automatically independent for federal financial aid regardless of how your parents complete their taxes. Your individual school might still require you to submit parental information, which they'll use to determine school aid (school given need-based scholarships and grants usually). So if you're parents make a good living, you might be out of the running for some grants and scholarships from your school, but you will be able to borrow the money you need. It's sort of good news and sort of bad news. :)