FAP - Independent Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a sophomore at UPenn. My mom died three years ago and my parents were officially divorced since I was about 4 I think, but separated from the time I was born. I have virtually no contact with my father, so how would I submit parental information on the FAP? On their site it says:

The FAP does not draw a distinction between dependent and independent student status, and, therefore, all applicants must provide parental financial data for the FAP.

I was granted independent status for Penn, and have nearly full financial aid.

Would I just use someone else's information? Like maybe my grandparents'? But they don't support me either. My mom died in August 2006 and in March 2007 I had to move to their house, but I provide but almost all of my own food. All of my personal expenses, dr appointments, etc. are paid for with the money I received from SS death benefits.

When I was applying for financial aid to Penn (for my first year) I used my grandparents' information, because I didn't qualify for independent status based on the federal government's criteria. Then in my freshmen year I learned that some special circumstances (like mine) will allow for you to be declared independent even if none of the criteria on FAFSA's site apply. So last year when I was applying for aid for this (my sophomore) year, I learned that using my grandparents' info was actually the wrong thing to do. They're not my legal guardians.

So what would I use as parental information when filling out the FAP? I plan on taking the MCAT spring of 2011, and applying to med school for entry in fall 2012.

Members don't see this ad.