Deployment on LSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiley123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wrapping up my first year in the Navy, and have been assigned as a Dept. Head on an LSD. This is a very active ship and will most likely deploy soon after I come aboard. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how quickly a ship can get back from a deployment and go on another? If I were to deploy for 6 months, would it be likely that I deploy again before my 2 years are up?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep. It’s possible. I was DH on an LHD. I was probably gone 14/24 months. Work-ups plus 1 deployment. It’s a rotation for the ships. But ships switch ports and break down. And international events happen. If everything goes as planned you will most likely do your deployment and then maybe work ups for the next deployment. Probably not 2 deployments. There are also lengthy yard periods which ships are due for every several years. So if you are due for one of those after deployment then that’ll save you from sea time.

Reactions: 1 user
I am wrapping up my first year in the Navy, and have been assigned as a Dept. Head on an LSD. This is a very active ship and will most likely deploy soon after I come aboard. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how quickly a ship can get back from a deployment and go on another? If I were to deploy for 6 months, would it be likely that I deploy again before my 2 years are up?
Best of luck to you. Ill be in your shoes in just over 2 years!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. It’s possible. I was DH on an LHD. I was probably gone 14/24 months. Work-ups plus 1 deployment. It’s a rotation for the ships. But ships switch ports and break down. And international events happen. If everything goes as planned you will most likely do your deployment and then maybe work ups for the next deployment. Probably not 2 deployments. There are also lengthy yard periods which ships are due for every several years. So if you are due for one of those after deployment then that’ll save you from sea time.
Thank you very much for the information. That is consistent with what my DH and detailer have said. It wasn't on my list, but seems like it could be a great experience.

Best of luck to you. Ill be in your shoes in just over 2 years!
Good luck finishing up school and transitioning into the military. If I could give you an unsolicited piece of advice, wait for ODS as long as you can afford to, unless you are very motivated to be on an active ship.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much for the information. That is consistent with what my DH and detailer have said. It wasn't on my list, but seems like it could be a great experience.

It is a great experience. It will be tough at times, but being a DH will give you the autonomy to practice how you want and you’ll learn a lot. It’ll help you grow as a provider and a leader. I wouldn’t want to do it again, but I am also really glad I did it. Best of luck. Let me know if you ever have any questions. I was east coast btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck finishing up school and transitioning into the military. If I could give you an unsolicited piece of advice, wait for ODS as long as you can afford to, unless you are very motivated to be on an active ship.
I don’t think I’ll be able to go to ODS until I graduate anyhow! I start clinic this summer and have to take boards II next summer.

I’m ready for whatever comes!