Deployment over payback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfitzpat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been brought up before, but the answers always seem vague and cryptic (I understand that this is the nature of the beast), so I wanted to ask it again.

I am considering the Navy HPSP, but I am a little concerned about the length of deployments. I have no problem being deployed, but on the other hand I don't want to spend three of my four year payback away from my wife and kid. What is a reasonable amount of time that I would probably be deployed? I know that it can vary greatly, but there has gotta be some time frame where more people fall than not. Any help would be most appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this topic has been brought up before, but the answers always seem vague and cryptic (I understand that this is the nature of the beast), so I wanted to ask it again.

I am considering the Navy HPSP, but I am a little concerned about the length of deployments. I have no problem being deployed, but on the other hand I don't want to spend three of my four year payback away from my wife and kid. What is a reasonable amount of time that I would probably be deployed? I know that it can vary greatly, but there has gotta be some time frame where more people fall than not. Any help would be most appreciated.

From what I understand, if you go out on a ship, you're supposed to be gone for 6 months. But those deployments can be extended and you won't know until you've been out on the ship and are approaching that 6 month mark. I beleive the average is 6-8 months. However, there's more to worry about than just the ships. Anyone can get called to go to Iraq in what are called individual augmentations. If you go to Iraq, you'll probably be there one year. If you get stationed with the Marines, you may have to go out on ships too but they're usually not out so long, but go out more frequently. You may have to go to Afghanistan and live in a tent for awhile. My understanding is that if you go out on a ship for your 6-8 (avg) months, you're supposed to be able to stay on base for 18 months before going out again. Now, this isn't an individual thing but a ship thing. Meaning, if you get to a base and are assigned to a ship that just got back, you'll be on the base for 18 months and then go out for 6. But, if you get back from a 6 month trip, then get sent to a base where you're assigned to a ship that's getting ready to go, you'll go out for another 6 months back to back. I think this is the idea.

If you are still desiring an answer to this, I will be as specific as you would like. Just let me know. I don't want to send out another huge posting series as I did before unless the info is still desired. PM me if you want.

It would be great if you could add your two cents. You can post it here or PM me. Thanks again.

Another thing you'll want to consider is going greenside instead of blue. You'll have plenty of opportunities to deploy with the Marines but the deployments are often a lot shorter than deployments on the flat-tops.
There are long deployments with the various MEU's but you do your work-ups on your alpha roster for 6 months and your usually gone for another 6 months. Once you get tagged for these more demanding deployments your pretty safe to be on shore for at least another year before you get tagged again.

I was only gone for about 3 months total during my 3 years with the Marines. This was pretty typical at the time (of course, with all the Navy officers leaving, your chances of going to the sandbox have increased as well). There were only 2-4 long deployments each year and about 6-8 shorter ones (about 1-3 months long). If your smart, you volunteer for the shorter ones to get your name off the list for the longer ones. Doesn't always work that way but that's how it is for the most part when you go greenside.

Another thing to consider, if you really don't want to go to the middle east, then go greenside in Okinawa...lot's of short deployments to Thailand, Phillippines, Russia, Indonesia, and Australia..... and only a few long ones (with the occassional DET to Iraq/Afghanistan).