deployment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that family practice gets deployed more often than Internal Medicine? Just wondering because I'm on a 4 year scholarship and was told by a couple different residents that I would probably get deployed twice.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking because you want to maximize your chances of seeing the world or because you prefer not to leave a zip code once you've got everyone's number programmed into your new camera phone?

Spang said:
Are you asking because you want to maximize your chances of seeing the world or because you prefer not to leave a zip code once you've got everyone's number programmed into your new camera phone?

Probably the latter, but what difference does it make?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm suprised someone with a signature quote like this would have to ask:

"Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you?ll regret the things you didn?t do more than the ones you did.-H Jackson Brown Jr "

I've just read a lot of post like this one; "Will I have to deploy?" , "What if I'm marrried?" etc. and I would think by now everyone has read enough here to realize that if you take the HPSP scholarship you are joining the military! Because the military often has to go far, far away to do their jobs, those in the military should expect long separations and hardships, then be pleasantly suprised if they don't occur. It's unrealistic expectations (granted from blatant misinformation or general lack of understanding) that breeds the discontent some military members develop. In other words, a person would be doing themselves and the rest of us a favor if they didn't take the scholarship if they really don't want to deploy, or do GMO (Navy anyway) or have less control over their specialty choice, or practice in low volume centers, etc.

Unfortunately the Coast Guard doesn't have HPSP. They have some nice duty stations near some great beaches.

In fairness to the OP, he has already signed on the dotted line and is just trying to get a feel for what lies ahead. The problem is any info or trend now is unlikely to be the same when he gets to the fleet, and generalities don't apply to specific cases, another phenomenon that breeds discontent.

Who loves ya?

Spang

I simply meant that there would be no difference in the answer to his question. But yeah, I can see why you're annoyed with all these people who sign up thinking it's a free ride and then whine when they get deployed.

"Annoyed" is a strong word, but depends on my mood I guess! ;)

According to the AF regulations an IM doctor can be deployed once every 18 months for a 3 month stent. According to some IM doctors I have spoken with they are often not used as IM during this deployment but more like FP. I would assume the rules are the same for FP.

There is a larger call for FP than IM in the AF as can be easily seen when you look at which bases merit what type of physician. FP almost everwhere while IM is more selective. This is due to a move to use IM only at facilities that have hospitals not just clinical areas.

According to the AF regulations an IM doctor can be deployed once every 18 months for a 3 month stent.

Ummmm what AFI says this???

csullivan said:
According to the AF regulations an IM doctor can be deployed once every 18 months for a 3 month stent.
'

Ho ho ho! Stent. I love medical humor. Or, alternatively, I love making fun of people who misspell.

;) Alli

What exactly does being deployed mean as a medical officer? As far as details does this necessarily mean that you are pulled away from United States? Does this mean you are moving and bringing your familiy or just temporarily stationed away for a war or other operation. When your deployment is complete do you return to the same place?

MD2B007 said:
What exactly does being deployed mean as a medical officer? As far as details does this necessarily mean that you are pulled away from United States? Does this mean you are moving and bringing your familiy or just temporarily stationed away for a war or other operation. When your deployment is complete do you return to the same place?

For a 3 month deployment, the family would stay home. Families generally only accompany you on "long tour" assignments, 3 years or more, overseas.

Heh, mispelling or not the information is accurate. A deployment is away from family. I do not know which AFI states the 18 month rule however I do know the current IM assigment officer and every other IM doc I have spoken with state it.

My advice would be that if you want the story on where and when you can be moved then speak to the assignment officer for your field. They are the ones who make the real decisions as to when and where you go. So if you want the information from the horse's mouth ask any current Med Corp doc and they should be able to give you the number as they are their best friend or worst enemy.