Army Deployments to Kuwait..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts or knowledge about why docs are still being deployed to here? The past few who have gone indicate that it's pretty boring and you don't really do much.

Members don't see this ad.

Colleague, your post reminded me of a quote from an ex-Navy friend of mine, who served on a tin can in the Pacific in the early 1980s:

"It was like being in jail, with a chance of drowning".

Quote from a friend on return from 6 months there circa 2005: It's 50% fat camp 50% minimum security prison.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because somebody has to be there for the appys and the testicular torsions...

Even Afghanistan deployments have slowed in terms of operative cases (which is what I care about for my specialty). while not on the same level as arifijan in kuwait, it's still a place where you have to push to prevent skills atrophy.

But why is anyone else there to begin with?

This can't be a serious question! We're always trying to maintain our footholds/staging areas for the next time we have to roll into Iraq-a-syr-a-Stan...

Plus I hear they got a great swimming pool

Is kuwait still considered a combat zone (hazard, imminent danger pay, arm patch)?

I think it's still considered a combat deployment

No it is not. I was there last year and we were the first brigade that did not receive the combat patch or pay. It still counts as a deployment, resetting one's dwell time if they are in theater for 90 days. You still get family separation and the tax exempt up to $80K.

Reactions: 1 user