Depressed about Third year grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeMD116

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Apologies in advance I as know this issue has been discussed in previous threads. I am a third year applying for Ophtho this year with a 246, early interest in ophtho manifested through Ophtho related EC's, lots of great Ophtho research, pubs, + mentors, etc. but a less than stellar third year record. The only things I have honored are Ophtho and Neurology; pretty much HP'd everything else except a Pass in Surgery. Today I received my medicine grade (HP) and was really disappointed because I felt I tried so so hard on this rotation. Dean's letter comments throughout the year have been very positive, but somehow I end up falling short on these rotations on the final grade, usually b/c of the shelf.

When I met with the Chair of the Ophtho Department at my school, he seemed confident that I will match but made me feel very insecure about my 3rd year grades. (e.g. "What happened in _______ rotation?", or "you have a great Step 1 why are you not honoring these shelfs?")

I have a tremendous passion for Ophthalmology and I know at this point I have to concentrate on finishing strong with OB/Peds and on my Ophtho AI's and Aways. That being said, I can't help but wonder how much I have shot myself in the foot and wasted such a great opportunity, or how this is going to come back to haunt me during the residency application process. Doubts are starting to set in.

I am wondering if anyone recommends I should do a Medicine AI early in the year (if possible) and try to honor it to make up for the lack of 3rd year honors. Or just stick to Ophtho AI's, Aways, and do it later?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Apologies in advance I as know this issue has been discussed in previous threads. I am a third year applying for Ophtho this year with a 246, early interest in ophtho manifested through Ophtho related EC's, lots of great Ophtho research, pubs, + mentors, etc. but a less than stellar third year record. The only things I have honored are Ophtho and Neurology; pretty much HP'd everything else except a Pass in Surgery. Today I received my medicine grade (HP) and was really disappointed because I felt I tried so so hard on this rotation. Dean's letter comments throughout the year have been very positive, but somehow I end up falling short on these rotations on the final grade, usually b/c of the shelf.

When I met with the Chair of the Ophtho Department at my school, he seemed confident that I will match but made me feel very insecure about my 3rd year grades. (e.g. "What happened in _______ rotation?", or "you have a great Step 1 why are you not honoring these shelfs?")

I have a tremendous passion for Ophthalmology and I know at this point I have to concentrate on finishing strong with OB/Peds and on my Ophtho AI's and Aways. That being said, I can't help but wonder how much I have shot myself in the foot and wasted such a great opportunity, or how this is going to come back to haunt me during the residency application process. Doubts are starting to set in.

I am wondering if anyone recommends I should do a Medicine AI early in the year (if possible) and try to honor it to make up for the lack of 3rd year honors. Or just stick to Ophtho AI's, Aways, and do it later?

you'll be fine. if it's just the shelf that holds you up from an honors in the rotation then i'm sure your letters of rec should be fine as well. a bunch of HPs isn't the end of the world. i think you're still going to be a strong applicant. Apply broadly, have good LOR and continue to show your interest in the field and you should be fine. i would stick to ophtho AIs, aways personally.

Where do you go to med school? I didn't do too hot third year, but still matched at my #1 choice which is a top ten program. Grades aren't everything....

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not worry at all. With your Step 1 score and Ophtho related activities/publications you will get plenty of interviews. Having interviewed applicants and looked at transcripts from > 50 medical schools, I can tell you that there is no uniformity in medical school grades. One med school gives nearly everyone honors or high pass and if you earn a pass it means you were in the bottom 5% of your class. Other schools just pass nearly everyone and honors means that you are in the top 5% of your class. This lack of uniformity leads to your USMLE score, reputation of medical school, and Ophtho publications being more important than grades when programs decide to give you an interview. It certainly doesn't hurt to honor clerkships during your 3rd year, but having only a few honors is not going to keep you from matching at a strong program. Good luck

Just wondering, how many optho pubs did you have? did you get them while in med school? are they case reports or clinical or bench resaerch? I plan on going into optho so I just was wondering how you got those pubs and those oppertuniteis