Depressed and Lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member071191

Bazingaa!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Every weekend that I go to the ER, I get so excited because I couldn't imagine being anywhere else and impatient because I want to practice in the trauma. But grades ruin everything for you.

I am in my junior year (1st semester almost done) BCMB. I have made all A's in all humanities/non-science courses. With the STEM courses its either A or Bs except I made 4 C's which I feel like will kill me. C in Orgo I and II, Genetics, and now upper-level biochemistry course. My gpa at the end of this semester will be cGPA=3.40 and sGPA=3.16. I am planning to take MCAT sometime next semester and will start studying now. As ECs all I have is about 120 hrs clinical from ER dept. I don't really know what to do,does it look like I screwed up my chance at med. school?

Also, I will be finished with my BCMB degree next fall (3.5 years).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there any way to retake OChem 1 and 2 at your institution?

Even if your C's don't get erased it's imperative to retake to show improvement if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD programs, yes. DO programs, still viable.

Not true at all. Yes his MD chances are very slim if he applies this upcoming cycle, however, if he does well senior year + does a post-bacc or SMP and kills it MD is still a viable option.

^ I can retake them and make a better grade for sure but what I have gathered from this forum is not to take it if applying for MD. Can't believe 4 classes decide your future. In retrospect, I should have taken psychology as major at least my cGPA would've been up.:(

Check utsw 2012-2013
Someone pre matched with a 3.4gpa.... So focus on the other aspects of your app :) who knows.

You WILL become a doctor. Seriously. Stop posting on SDN. The one who decides if you become a doctor is YOU! I don't post on here that often (at all) but I'm sick and tired of the negative atmosphere and pre-meds who have no idea what criteria admissions are looking for while admitting applicants. Me, for instance, I had a rough start to college (which a lot of medical MATRICULATES also do). I had approximately a 3.1 cum gpa after my junior year. However, I got my sh** together, and ended up getting a 3.9 cum and science gpa for the next 2 years (2nd senior year :)) and finished college with a 3.47 cum and 3.35 science gpa. Then I studied my butt off on the MCAT (after taking it twice) and got a 32. And guess what??? I GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!

Everybody's path for becoming a doctor is different! You need to start off by acknowledging your mistakes and fix them! Get off SND. Put your head in a book. And rock every exam from here on out. Also, don't be ashamed of your GPA or what you've earned in college. Own it! Be proud of your 3.4. Yeah it might not be a 4.0. But hey, YOU earned it! Be grateful for your privileges. Only 6 percent of the world has the opportunity to graduate from a 4 year institution. After-all, the mistakes that you make and learn from are the ones that allow you to grow and become a better person.

Unlike most people on this forum, I look forward to your SDN post 2 years from now when you write- "I GOT IN!"

Start by believing in yourself, because after that, nobody can step in your way from accomplishing your dream.

Best of luck to you, Dr.

You WILL become a doctor. Seriously. Stop posting on SDN. The one who decides if you become a doctor is YOU! I don't post on here that often (at all) but I'm sick and tired of the negative atmosphere and pre-meds who have no idea what criteria admissions are looking for while admitting applicants. Me, for instance, I had a rough start to college (which a lot of medical MATRICULATES also do). I had approximately a 3.1 cum gpa after my junior year. However, I got my sh** together, and ended up getting a 3.9 cum and science gpa for the next 2 years (2nd senior year :)) and finished college with a 3.47 cum and 3.35 science gpa. Then I studied my butt off on the MCAT (after taking it twice) and got a 32. And guess what??? I GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!

Everybody's path for becoming a doctor is different! You need to start off by acknowledging your mistakes and fix them! Get off SND. Put your head in a book. And rock every exam from here on out. Also, don't be ashamed of your GPA or what you've earned in college. Own it! Be proud of your 3.4. Yeah it might not be a 4.0. But hey, YOU earned it! Be grateful for your privileges. Only 6 percent of the world has the opportunity to graduate from a 4 year institution. After-all, the mistakes that you make and learn from are the ones that allow you to grow and become a better person.

Unlike most people on this forum, I look forward to your SDN post 2 years from now when you write- "I GOT IN!"

Start by believing in yourself, because after that, nobody can step in your way from accomplishing your dream.

Best of luck to you, Dr.

Damn. Wish we had more people with your optimism on this forum. :thumbup:

OP, good luck to you. People have made it in with way worse GPA's than you. Work your butt off and I hope you make it too.

I agree with ModelOD. Plus your states are fine if you make a turning point now. I don't know if it is Texas or not but I have seen a lot of ~3.2-3.4 ish range interviews/acceptances lately, of course GPA is not the whole story. Just work your butt off and fix as much as you can!