Depressed NP...need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been awhile since I posted on here, but I need some advice. Preferably from some med students, MD's, or NP's that have some experience and can shed some light.

I was a pre-med student all throughout undergrad. I was dead set on becoming a doctor and worked my butt off. I took the MCAT, filled out AMCA's almost all the way, and then got nervous. I was engaged and staring down my future and worried that I wouldn't be able to handle med school. I knew I wanted a lot out of life (family, hobbies, etc.) and didn't know if I was ready to commit to medical school with all of that. My family was shocked because I was so set on being a doctor for so long. No one could believe that I would change my mind at the last hour. Regardless, I decided to apply to a BS-MSN program that a few of my friends went through instead. I figured being an NP would give me the best of both worlds. I had prepped so hard academically for med school that getting into the program was easy. I got accepted.

Now, here I am in my NP program and kind of hating my life. I'm learning how to be a nurse and can't help but feel like I'm settling. I'm not sure if it is because I am still learning the basics (how to put in a freaking catheter, etc.) or if I really should have gone to medical school.

As a side note, my husband is freaking out that I'm starting to think med school. We haven't been married a year yet and he is worried he will never see me anymore if I get into med school and that it will entirely consume my life until I'm done with residency. Not sure what to say to him.

My concerns are this:

1) I don't want to uproot and move out of state for med school. Thankfully, I live in Ohio where there is no shortage of med schools.

2) I am nervous about balancing my life while in med school. I do want kids and I want some semblance of a life when all is said and done. Residency is one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, I got hesitant about applying to begin with. My husband is nervous about this too.

3) I am 25. Is it too late to commit to this whole deal and really reap the benefits of it?

4) I'm gonna have to retake the MCAT. I was super sick the day I took it, did horribly, and should have voided it to begin with, but was stubborn. This isn't that big of a deal.

My stats:

Undergrad GPA - 3.78-ish
Undergrad Science GPA - 3.55-ish
Grad GPA - 4.0
MCAT - gonna retake
Clinical experience - I have worked as a nurse's aide for 7 years, shadowed 2 docs, in nursing school now, yada yada, I've got a crap ton of it
I volunteered places.
I did research.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.