Depressed NP Student...need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^ LOL. The youngest I have seen on this forum was a 24 year-old mom who thought she was too old.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Merging related posts. Please note that posting identical or similar posts across multiple forums is against the TOS.

My concerns are this:

1) I don't want to uproot and move out of state for med school. Thankfully, I live in Ohio where there is no shortage of med schools.

2) I am nervous about balancing my life while in med school. I do want kids and I want some semblance of a life when all is said and done. Residency is one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, I got hesitant about applying to begin with. My husband is nervous about this too.

3) I am 25. Is it too late to commit to this whole deal and really reap the benefits of it?

4) I'm gonna have to retake the MCAT. I was super sick the day I took it, did horribly, and should have voided it to begin with, but was stubborn. This isn't that big of a deal.

1) Your stats are good and all you need is a solid MCAT. Being in Ohio helps and I would suggest staying in state and considering DO schools as well.

2) You 2 should be. Medical school is also pretty life changing. I have a 3rd year as a roommate and I honestly never see him home. Dude is like a ghost because his schedule is just so time consuming. 2nd year will also consume you because of step 1 and some couples in fourth year have said that second year is actually one of the worst years since you will be studying quite a bit and the anxiety of getting a good Step 1 score. What I did what talk to my s/o frankly about all of this and explained to her what it entails in detail. You also have the very real possibility of moving for residency. Just try to talk everything out with your partner and make sure he fully understands what medical school means. If he isn't on board with it, then you may be faced with a tough decision.

3) No way, average age of my class was around 24.

4) I guess work on your stubbornness. It won't do you any favors in the future, especially when it comes to compromising with your husband.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't quit your program until you take the MCAT, that's for sure....a sure thing is sometimes better than a dream

This is a 200k-300k decision--that's a lot. I'm married and my wife is 110% supportive. If she wasn't, I'm not sure how awful life would be. Make sure you and your spouse are on the same page.

Also, should you do well on MCAT and decide to pursue being a doctor--don't assume that because there are many medical schools in your state that you'll end up close to home---applying to med school is so unpredictable at times, that you may not wanna give up a similar career, until you KNOW you have your next one lined up

Reactions: 1 users
Been awhile since I posted on here, but I need some advice. Preferably from some med students, MD's, or NP's that have some experience and can shed some light.

I was a pre-med student all throughout undergrad. I was dead set on becoming a doctor and worked my butt off. I took the MCAT, filled out AMCA's almost all the way, and then got nervous. I was engaged and staring down my future and worried that I wouldn't be able to handle med school. I knew I wanted a lot out of life (family, hobbies, etc.) and didn't know if I was ready to commit to medical school with all of that. My family was shocked because I was so set on being a doctor for so long. No one could believe that I would change my mind at the last hour. Regardless, I decided to apply to a BS-MSN program that a few of my friends went through instead. I figured being an NP would give me the best of both worlds. I had prepped so hard academically for med school that getting into the program was easy. I got accepted.

Now, here I am in my NP program and kind of hating my life. I'm learning how to be a nurse and can't help but feel like I'm settling. I'm not sure if it is because I am still learning the basics (how to put in a freaking catheter, etc.) or if I really should have gone to medical school.

As a side note, my husband is freaking out that I'm starting to think med school. We haven't been married a year yet and he is worried he will never see me anymore if I get into med school and that it will entirely consume my life until I'm done with residency. Not sure what to say to him.

My concerns are this:

1) I don't want to uproot and move out of state for med school. Thankfully, I live in Ohio where there is no shortage of med schools.

2) I am nervous about balancing my life while in med school. I do want kids and I want some semblance of a life when all is said and done. Residency is one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, I got hesitant about applying to begin with. My husband is nervous about this too.

3) I am 25. Is it too late to commit to this whole deal and really reap the benefits of it?

4) I'm gonna have to retake the MCAT. I was super sick the day I took it, did horribly, and should have voided it to begin with, but was stubborn. This isn't that big of a deal.

My stats:

Undergrad GPA - 3.78-ish
Undergrad Science GPA - 3.55-ish
Grad GPA - 4.0
MCAT - gonna retake
Clinical experience - I have worked as a nurse's aide for 7 years, shadowed 2 docs, in nursing school now, yada yada, I've got a crap ton of it
I volunteered places.
I did research.

I would advise you to focus on fact finding. Ask physicians and NPs questions about their scope of practice, average debt load, day to day routine, or whatever else you're not clear on. When you understand what each profession does separately form your own opinions, to decide if the extra work and debt for the MD are worth it.

OK, I didn't read through this whole thread, but in the saner reality, one learns how to be a professional prior to going into an NP program. Not getting tons of clinical experience post-RN school is a huge pet peeve of mine. Anyway, you seem young. You have plenty of time to do what you want. I think you have hurt yourself severely but not getting strong, clinical experience after RN school grad. Personally I'd demand that programs change that and make it a prerequisite for entering advanced nursing programs. The only ones that seem to take the clinical experience seriously are the CRNA programs. Nothing comes together and bases strong sense until you are in practice for a while and move from novice to competent to expert. Throwing in catheter Foleys--yes, carefully and aseptically is something you do among other things in nursing school or in your first year practice. Putting in lines and fushing first-line drugs is another--perhaps even titrating vasoactive meds.

IDK. I think you should do what you want; but just get more solid, clinical experience--preferably no less than 2-3 years full-time at a very busy university hospital setting--on a crazy tele-med-surg or in an ICU or even ED. Get interested beyond the normal RN outside of work on the specific cases. Research and read. I wish you luck. Get hard core RN experience, maybe taking a course hear or there, and then go from there.

You're spouse not on board? This is a big deal IMHO.

OK, I didn't read through this whole thread, but in the saner reality, one learns how to be a professional prior to going into an NP program. Not getting tons of clinical experience post-RN school is a huge pet peeve of mine. Anyway, you seem young. You have plenty of time to do what you want. I think you have hurt yourself severely but not getting strong, clinical experience after RN school grad. Personally I'd demand that programs change that and make it a prerequisite for entering advanced nursing programs. The only ones that seem to take the clinical experience seriously are the CRNA programs. Nothing comes together and bases strong sense until you are in practice for a while and move from novice to competent to expert. Throwing in catheter Foleys--yes, carefully and aseptically is something you do among other things in nursing school or in your first year practice. Putting in lines and fushing first-line drugs is another--perhaps even titrating vasoactive meds.

IDK. I think you should do what you want; but just get more solid, clinical experience--preferably no less than 2-3 years full-time at a very busy university hospital setting--on a crazy tele-med-surg or in an ICU or even ED. Get interested beyond the normal RN outside of work on the specific cases. Research and read. I wish you luck. Get hard core RN experience, maybe taking a course hear or there, and then go from there.

You're spouse not on board? This is a big deal IMHO.

They used to require clinical experience (at least 1-2 years, I forget) before you could pursue your masters. They've definitely shied away from that though.

They used to require clinical experience (at least 1-2 years, I forget) before you could pursue your masters. They've definitely shied away from that though.
Bc they can get tons more matriculants to charge tuition to now.

Why? I think my husband does have justified concerns. Med school is a big commitment, just like marriage is a big commitment. He wants a family and time with his family as much as I do. I would be more upset if he didn't raise questions about what our future would look like if one of us was in residency and working at least 12 hours a day, every day, with only one weekend off per month.
Ignore that troll. His concerns are valid and it's healthy that you acknowledge them.

Tons of us went to med school because our ego wouldn't allow us not to.

Exactly. I expect a premed not to know what NPs do and what fields they can enter. But apparently at her institution there are only PAs, which I find hard to believe, but I guess is possible.
There were NPs at my rotations, but they were all in family medicine or peds. General surgery had PAs, and ortho PAs as well. Didn't do rotations in cards or derm. Learning what NPs don't do is not part of the curriculum.

Of note to the OP, don't let your ego get in the way as an MD/DO or an NP - this is the fastest way to hurt patients. People think it's stupid docs that kill people, but it's usually the ones that don't know their own limitations, don't know what they don't know, or are too proud to ask for help.

I haven't read the replies, but I think that you should at least consider med school. I'm an MD/PhD, so I just turned 30 as an intern. I actually enjoyed med school and didn't think it was as bad as you're making it out to be. Especially in 3rd year your time is not your own, but I didn't mind that. Heck, I've even been enjoying intern year so far (again, with the caveat that I don't control my schedule). I actually don't think my schedule as an intern is any worse than being a 3rd year med student, although the time I work is more stressful because I have more responsibilities. It's important to recognize that as a medical student, resident and fellow (and as many types of attending), you will never have a regular 9-5 job. As an NP, you probably can have that schedule. As an NP, however, you will also have a very different job than you would as an attending, with a different level of training, knowledge and responsibilities. The two are not equivalent roles in any specialty.

I've known plenty of people who have had kids in med school and residency and made it work, but if you plan to do that, you need to understand that you will not be the primary caregiver for your children if you end up going to med school. If you want to have kids in medicine, then you need a supportive spouse with a flexible schedule or family around, or it will be very difficult. That being said, many people make it work very well.

In terms of applying to med schools: Ohio might have quite a few med schools, but it would not be a good idea to only apply to Ohio schools if you want to have reasonable chances of getting in somewhere, especially if your first MCAT score was low enough that you're not willing to tell us about it.

I don't mean to putdown nurses, but you sound like one of those women that is not being intellectually challenged enough by nursing. Also, you have lots of time first, second, and 4th year, If you want to have kids do it then. I don't know how to explain this but sometimes medicine "calls" you , its a calling, and doing anything else will not satisfy you.

Will the babies take care of themselves?

Yes, people really need to stop saying medical school is the end of your life. It's not. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a lot of work but your life isn't over. I still have plenty of time for my hobbies and to have time with my fiance and friends. Good luck OP.