This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefulpsychiatrist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a college student I don't have any friends or anyone who is supportive on my college campus, I study and eat alone 7 days a week. Sometimes I overwork myself just so I can avoid realizing how lonely I am and how horrible I feel. Im a psychology pre-med major, there is absolutely nothing to look forward to in my life, my schedule is very demanding and I am in class M-F from 9AM-6PM and I study from 6PM-11PM or sometimes to midnight. On the weekends I study from 11AM-5PM. Now I have to prepare for the MCAT, there is absolutely not a single thing to look forward to in my life other than studying, studying, studying. Although Im horribly depressed my grades have been great. I'm just so horribly depressed. The thought of going back makes me want to cry. There is absolutely nothing to look forward to except studying every single day. I don't even get excited for the weekends because there is nothing that is going to happen for me except studying.

I feel like I missed out on my entire young adult years studying. I have yet to live, Im convinced Im going to be a 30 year old kid because I'm going to miss out on the rest of my life by studying. Don't get me wrong I love what I do, I love to learn, I love the subjects and science courses.

But why do I have to trade my mental health for this as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
There are resources at your school to help you. Use them

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Try to join a sports club, you'll get to meet people and blow some steam.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am a college student I don't have any friends or anyone who is supportive on my college campus, I study and eat alone 7 days a week. Sometimes I overwork myself just so I can avoid realizing how lonely I am and how horrible I feel. Im a psychology pre-med major, there is absolutely nothing to look forward to in my life, my schedule is very demanding and I am in class M-F from 9AM-6PM and I study from 6PM-11PM or sometimes to midnight. On the weekends I study from 11AM-5PM. Now I have to prepare for the MCAT, there is absolutely not a single thing to look forward to in my life other than studying, studying, studying. Although Im horribly depressed my grades have been great. I'm just so horribly depressed. The thought of going back makes me want to cry. There is absolutely nothing to look forward to except studying every single day. I don't even get excited for the weekends because there is nothing that is going to happen for me except studying.

I feel like I missed out on my entire young adult years studying. I have yet to live, Im convinced Im going to be a 30 year old kid because I'm going to miss out on the rest of my life by studying. Don't get me wrong I love what I do, I love to learn, I love the subjects and science courses.

Finding balance shouldn't be that difficult! Do you have any hobbies?

I feel like I missed out on my entire young adult years studying. I have yet to live, Im convinced Im going to be a 30 year old kid because I'm going to miss out on the rest of my life by studying.
I also want to address this point--this is not true! Your life does not have to be on hold just because you're a full-time student. Your life is no more or less meaningful than people who have normal jobs, who travel the world constantly, or anything else. And being in medical school will not prevent you from having wonderful experiences.

Reactions: 2 users
You should start finding a balance between studying and doing things that you like. I can definitely see how you could be feeling overwhelmed. If you don't have many hobbies or different things that you know for sure take your mind off studying, get out of your comfort zone and start finding them. If you start to develop your skills in balancing a lifestyle and studying you will be better off in the long run once you get into med school.

I am incredibly sorry that your feeling this way. Have you tried setting up study groups? Not only will you study but you might even find a new friend! Definitely go to your schools counseling center though.

Depression is poorly treated on an anonymous internet message board. Go to your school's counseling center STAT!

Reactions: 5 users
You need Jiu Jitsu my friend..

I was literally about to give the same answer! OP I'm telling you man if you check out one of your local jiu jitsu gyms and try it out it may change your life. Jiu jitsu has definitely given me something to look forward to and I've formed some of my closest friendships

Seek a professional help immediately!!

Last edited:
Please talk with a mental health counselor at your school! As for school, your life does not need to revolve around constantly studying. As others have mentioned, look in to joining a sports team or a club on campus! Also look in to volunteer opportunities of interest; not only does it look great for medical school but it also allows you the opportunity to meet others!

try to be active on campus. I use to commute to college, and worked and studied and was fairly active. If you study long hours, study on campus, in the cafe or library-- it will give u an opportunity to meet ppl from the school n ur class. Talk to ppl, start convo, join clubs n activities, try study groups. & most importantly seek help.

Find a counselor or a psychologist. This is your second such post in as many days, and I am worried for you. There is a litany of things I could say to you but a venue like this one is inadequate for you to get the help you need. You need a real person who can help you take a look at your life in its current state and give you recommendations so that you get a proper balance and find fulfillment in your life.

Please, seek professional help - you can be happy, but you need to take action. I've seen a counselor about my anxieties and it has helped me immensely - a professional can help you too.

Reactions: 1 users
SDN is not a site for counseling or mental health consultation. Please see a licensed mental health professional instead. Given the nature of this thread, it will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.