Depression? 3rd year (Halp me)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP2740

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason once 3rd year started I've been severely unmotivated and depressed. I don't get why. I have close friends, good with girls (no ED), sleep at least 6 hours, grades are fine, residents/attendings are happy with my performance, but when I get home or wake up in the morning there's this overwhelming dread and depression. Like sometimes I'll wake up a couple hours before my alarm and just sit there staring at my ceiling for hours. I'm not looking for diagnosis or medical help, just wondering if this is kind of common for 3rd years. It hasn't interfered with my life too much (yet?) but it's kind of bothersome. This whole morning I felt like **** mentally so I just played video games the whole time instead of studying lol. I even get tachycardia at times for no reason anxious as ****. Hopefully fb will make me feel better.

P.S. I love you
P.S. P.S. Waiting for the hate party, don't disappoint SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
no1: get a gf
no2: it is a ****ing unpaid job
no3: all jobs sucks
no4: ?????
no5: it sucks
no6: you are probably having a burnout happens to the best players of every league

Does your school offer any kind of counseling services? Even if you are just suffering from burnout (which happens) they may be able to help you get through it faster. Counseling can be useful to healthy people too.

Don't use fb,
...Here, watch the concert today, tonight, and the rest of the week.
It's live :thumbup:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxRUrJ-CWTU[/YOUTUBE]

no6: you are probably having a burnout happens to the best players of every league

I did think of doing no1. But probably not worth the headache.

I don't get it; if a guys a loser why would a girl ever want to go out with them?

For some reason once 3rd year started I've been severely unmotivated and depressed. I don't get why. I have close friends, good with girls (no ED), sleep at least 6 hours, grades are fine, residents/attendings are happy with my performance, but when I get home or wake up in the morning there's this overwhelming dread and depression. Like sometimes I'll wake up a couple hours before my alarm and just sit there staring at my ceiling for hours. I'm not looking for diagnosis or medical help, just wondering if this is kind of common for 3rd years. It hasn't interfered with my life too much (yet?) but it's kind of bothersome. This whole morning I felt like **** mentally so I just played video games the whole time instead of studying lol. I even get tachycardia at times for no reason anxious as ****. Hopefully fb will make me feel better.

P.S. I love you

It happens to the best of us. No worries. SDN is probably not going to be the most supportive crowd :cool: but I think fb (football) and video games are good places to start.

If it gets to the point where you're sad or bummed for more than half the day more than 3-4 days a week then I'd say you're beyond just med school fed up and should go see someone at your school's counseling center. Friends, football, video games - all that stuff help. We're humans - not robots - every now and again we need to take care of ourselves. ;) ;) ;) ;)

I don't get it; if a guys a loser why would a girl ever want to go out with them?

Hello All,

I am currently an undergrad and have been wanting to go into surgery for quite some time. Now due to several semesters worth of bad grades my GPA might not be high enough to warrant a med school admission. I was wondering what other options are there for fields where one would be able to operate and is not an MD or DO?

Thank you

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

P.S. I love you

In fourth year now and I am feeling what you are. Depressed, with no reason to be. Get home, just waste time away, wishing I could pick up and read something (used to love reading medical textbooks, journals, etc) now I just sleep or waste time online (like SDN). I keep telling myself not to beat myself up over feeling like this or not reading and that I am just burnt out. Honestly wished I had some advice, if I come across something I'll gladly share.

In fourth year now and I am feeling what you are. Depressed, with no reason to be. Get home, just waste time away, wishing I could pick up and read something (used to love reading medical textbooks, journals, etc) now I just sleep or waste time online (like SDN). I keep telling myself not to beat myself up over feeling like this or not reading and that I am just burnt out. Honestly wished I had some advice, if I come across something I'll gladly share.

Thanks. I guess 3rd year is a bit worse time to have it lol

I am doing psych now and I think I am mixed bipolar depressed. Your condition isn't bad because u at least have a gf. I actually spend entire days exchanging insults on Facebook instead of doing work. Yet I think if I had a nice job without any fears of failing out all my problems would be fixed. But based on eriksonns theories I am at that age where with every passing year I am closer to being a complete failure. And being a 3rd year I get exposed to all this bull**** that messes with my already fragile brain. I type this off my phone because too tired to turn on my laptop past week or so.

I am doing psych now and I think I am mixed bipolar depressed. Your condition isn't bad because u at least have a gf. I actually spend entire days exchanging insults on Facebook instead of doing work. Yet I think if I had a nice job without any fears of failing out all my problems would be fixed. But based on eriksonns theories I am at that age where with every passing year I am closer to being a complete failure. And being a 3rd year I get exposed to all this bull**** that messes with my already fragile brain. I type this off my phone because too tired to turn on my laptop past week or so.

No I don't have a technical gf, just a couple chicks to go on dates/mess around with.

Erikson's a fool, don't take any of his verbal diarrhea seriously.

Erikson's a fool, don't take any of his verbal diarrhea seriously.

I didn't even read any of his work. Just the 1 sentence outlines in blueprints. It makes sense to me that what you've achieved in life correlates with your mental health. And I am a sore loser. But I do agree that psych in general is bull****. People only go into it because they hope they'll have milfs seducing them and paying for their conversations. But reality is different.

No I don't have a technical gf, just a couple chicks to go on dates/mess around with.

That means you are at least more successful than my SCi patients. I am less. You finish med school and your life is set. But me I am only going downhill. I cannot look myself in the mirror I no longer have a six pack and I am about to eat snack without exercising. Wonder what happens if my hair turns grey before I finish medskool and get me a wife.

Yo sounds like you actually need to go to counseling man.

That means you are at least more successful than my SCi patients. I am less. You finish med school and your life is set. But me I am only going downhill. I cannot look myself in the mirror I no longer have a six pack and I am about to eat snack without exercising. Wonder what happens if my hair turns grey before I finish medskool and get me a wife.
**** dude. From one depressed dude to another, you ever think of counseling?

Lol counseling. That's like driving to a police station to ask for help after drinking. Its obvious the only people who get help from shrinks are those who are unemployed. Anybody else is just asking for trouble if he goes to a shrink. Basically you have poor insight if you voluntarily go to a shrink as a med student .

Lol counseling. That's like driving to a police station to ask for help after drinking. Its obvious the only people who get help from shrinks are those who are unemployed. Anybody else is just asking for trouble if he goes to a shrink. Basically you have poor insight if you voluntarily go to a shrink as a med student .

So how else do you expect people to get counseling? LOTS of people who are employed get it. Especially in the real world.

idle hands are tools of the devil, get out there and just do whatever. You will feel surprised how much better you can feel after doing some little things or huge things. Just force yourself to do it, the toughest part is when you have to tell yourself "**** it, yolo, let's me do this". And this goes even to washing dishes, especially washing dishes.

I did think of doing no1. But probably not worth the headache.

it is very worthy, unless you dont feel attracted to any of your "group chicks", even if you end apart, or especially if you end apart.
Better love and lose, you know the rest.

You sound just like me

there is always ssri if you are that gloomy and want some chemical support till you reach the bright side again.
There are worse ways to use drugs.

JP bro get your **** together. One way or the other. The whole not studying thing is whatever, might just be temporary burnout, but all this other stuff seems like warning signs.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought he was serious.

I was. I just usually mess around the board so the usual suspects are rolling through to clown on me which is fun and good lol. Its weird I thought there should be some inciting factor or something in particular wrong with my life but all of a sudden I just started feeling like ****, unmotivated, depressed/anxious, and borderline s? Im pretty good at covering it up though.

I was. I just usually mess around the board so the usual suspects are rolling through to clown on me which is fun and good lol. Its weird I thought there should be some inciting factor or something in particular wrong with my life but all of a sudden I just started feeling like ****, unmotivated, depressed/anxious, and borderline s? Im pretty good at covering it up though.

shed away here bro.
It is when things are going perfectly fine that depression happens. World wars registered lower suicide rates.
Do your friends make you happy?

P.S. I love you

fellow MS3 here brah. i know dem feels

severely unmotivated and depressed
get enough sleep
grades are good
attendings and residents love me
have some girls i can call whenever
find myself lying in bed for no reason
have no willingness to go out
girls giving me the "come over here and talk to me" eye and i can't be bothered
no interest in chasing at the first sign of resistance (this has got me worried the most. i used to enjoy the hunt, but now i say **** it too quickly. every girl gives **** tests, if i just say **** it to all of them i'm in big trouble)

i hope this "burnout" doesn't get worse into residency

we're all going to make it brah

Not an MS3, but just posting to say that I miss undergrad so much...sigh. I feel kinda depressed too.

Seriously, I don't know what more you want us to tell you. If you think it's bad/prolonged/worriesome, talk to someone. That's the first step. If you're looking for people to hold your hand, pet your head, and say "aww, there there, it'll be OK" then come to SDN. That's what we're (partially, along with telling you to 'quit yer bitchin') here for.

Studying in MS3 is hard to motivate yourself. In MS1/MS2, all you had to do was study. Now you have a bunch of other minor responsibilities. Now if you're having lifestyle issues besides motivation to study (which it sounds like you are) that's a more serious problem.

Fb cures all...unless you're a Browns fan

Foreal agree with evil's post, you should talk with someone. No shame.

get enough sleep
grades are good
no interest in chasing at the first sign of resistance (this has got me worried the most. i used to enjoy the hunt, but now i say **** it too quickly. every girl gives **** tests, if i just say **** it to all of them i'm in big trouble)

Thanks brah, ****ing helps hearin that. Srs (srs).

shed away here bro.
It is when things are going perfectly fine that depression happens. World wars registered lower suicide rates.
Do your friends make you happy?

I love my friends. Mostly non-med school and been good friends with like 10 dudes for many years. Can go to them for most things or hang out whenever, but hard to tell people how tough things are going and don't want to be a bummer always so sometimes isolate myself. I do have some health problems but that's nothing new and always did fine dealin with it.

Seriously, I don't know what more you want us to tell you. If you think it's bad/prolonged/worriesome, talk to someone. That's the first step. If you're looking for people to hold your hand, pet your head, and say "aww, there there, it'll be OK" then come to SDN. That's what we're (partially, along with telling you to 'quit yer bitchin') here for.

Studying in MS3 is hard to motivate yourself. In MS1/MS2, all you had to do was study. Now you have a bunch of other minor responsibilities. Now if you're having lifestyle issues besides motivation to study (which it sounds like you are) that's a more serious problem.

Thanks for the petting head bro, that helps too. Was mainly trying to see if anyone else is dealing with it, if it's normal part of M3, and just ride it out kind of thing. Seeing someone would probably help but worried about the stigma. But telling me it'll be ok and others calling me beta is motivating as well lol

Sounds like you and PND are both going through the phase of '(wannabe) alpha relegated to a beta role'.

That could be a support group, IMO.

The stigma of talking to someone? Why would it be anyone's business who you talk to and about what? That's the beauty of HIPPA. No one should be able to know that you are talking to a professional about life issues, if they do then somebody's got some 'splainin to do.

get enough sleep
grades are good
no interest in chasing at the first sign of resistance
(this has got me worried the most. i used to enjoy the hunt, but now i say **** it too quickly. every girl gives **** tests, if i just say **** it to all of them i'm in big trouble)

soorry man, that bs, you are not getting laid

Sounds like you and PND are both going through the phase of '(wannabe) alpha relegated to a beta role'.

The stigma of talking to someone? Why would it be anyone's business who you talk to and about what? That's the beauty of HIPPA. No one should be able to know that you are talking to a professional about life issues, if they do then somebody's got some 'splainin to do.

I think DMV-6 should have that, ehl oh ehl

Accepting you are a beta is the first part.

Listen I've been in your shoes and I can relate. Your school probably has free counseling! Do this, make an appointment tell them your problem! Ive done the same thing too and it helped me so much! You might not get much from here alone, but I think professional help would serve you well. :)

lol i have actually considered this

overachieving beta checking in

lol i have actually considered this

overachieving beta checking in

Bro you wanna co-coordinate student interest group wannabe alpha relegated beta (WARB).
Brb earning ERAS points
Brb umad?

lol @ all the misc lingo in this thread