Depression and medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scienceman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've always struggled with depression and this has been a particularly difficult year for me in a lot of ways. I have been accepted to medical school recently which is something that I am extremely excited about, but I'm starting to really doubt my emotional strength. I have heard from people at interviews that depression is a real problem for medical students, given the stress and the long hours. I'm just worried that my issues with sadness and inability to make connections with people will cause me serious problems in the years to come. I know I'm smart enough and academically competent enough to make it, I'm just really worried that my problems with depression will hold me back. Is there anybody else concerned about this? Maybe it gets better once you're around other people with similar interests?

I'm so sorry if this is a useless thread. I don't want to waste anyone's time. I just could really use some words of encouragement right now.

You've made it this far, which is a pretty darn good indication you'll be able to make it through medical school too :)

I've always struggled with depression and this has been a particularly difficult year for me in a lot of ways. I have been accepted to medical school recently which is something that I am extremely excited about, but I'm starting to really doubt my emotional strength. I have heard from people at interviews that depression is a real problem for medical students, given the stress and the long hours. I'm just worried that my issues with sadness and inability to make connections with people will cause me serious problems in the years to come. I know I'm smart enough and academically competent enough to make it, I'm just really worried that my problems with depression will hold me back. Is there anybody else concerned about this? Maybe it gets better once you're around other people with similar interests?

I'm so sorry if this is a useless thread. I don't want to waste anyone's time. I just could really use some words of encouragement right now.

Don't focus on the stress and long hours. Focus on the opportunity you're being given to learn awesome stuff. Whenever I get stressed out about overwhelming amounts of school work (or anything, really) I just remind myself that tons of people before me have done it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't focus on the stress and long hours. Focus on the opportunity you're being given to learn awesome stuff. Whenever I get stressed out about overwhelming amounts of school work (or anything, really) I just remind myself that tons of people before me have done it.

Yep. Also, long hours+hard work != bad stress. Sometimes, keeping busy is a great way to stay content with your life as it represents continual growth and development.

Thanks to both of you for responding. I go on SDN a lot and am too shy to contribute, but I am familiar with both you guys and your opinions. I am in somewhat of a unique situation with these things. I lost a couple people in my life who I have always drawn on for strength, one was a girlfriend. Since then I've had such a hard time finding motivation to work hard in school. Maybe it's senioritis, I don't really know, but I am barely able to pass my easy classes now. I am seriously concerned that this will continue next year.

Thanks to both of you for responding. I go on SDN a lot and am too shy to contribute, but I am familiar with both you guys and your opinions. I am in somewhat of a unique situation with these things. I lost a couple people in my life who I have always drawn on for strength, one was a girlfriend. Since then I've had such a hard time finding motivation to work hard in school. Maybe it's senioritis, I don't really know, but I am barely able to pass my easy classes now. I am seriously concerned that this will continue next year.

I had a tough time staying focused when my last relationship ended too. I don't really have any advice for you other than talk to your friends/family and if necessary a professional. I was too stubborn to go see a psych, but I think I would've been depressed for a much shorter period of time had I gone that route.

OP, my advice to you, from experience, is you're going to want to establish a support system early on. It can be family, a group of friends, faculty at school, etc. My school has a lot of resources and people to talk to for students who feel like they're struggling, so try to find out if your future school has something like that. The upside of med school, despite the amount of material, is that your entire class is going through the same thing, so that is a support system within itself, even if you're not super close to most people in your class. Start small, focus on making a couple friends during orientation week or even at second look. Consider it a fresh start. New place, new friends, new you. Just don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. You can do it! Feel free to PM me if you want.

I have dealt with depression for most of my adult life (which, admittedly, has been fairly short - I'm only 23!). Meds and therapy do wonders, as does keeping busy. Even when depression is well controlled, it's always there in the back of your mind waiting to pop out when you have three hours or so alone doing nothing. My schedule this semester means I have four days in a row where I am up and working 16 hours + every day. It is exhausting and stressful, but there is literally no time to be depressed; there's too much stuff to do to feel bad about myself!

That said, there have also been times when I have collapsed from the stress. Having stress outlets isn't useful, it is VITAL. Exercise, eat well, talk with a therapist regularly, keep in contact with friends, get lots of sunshine, hug your pets every day, keep a gratitude journal (cheesy as heck, but it can be useful)...

One of the concepts I learned in a psychology class a few years back is the difference between eustress and distress. Eustress is the stress you feel when you're getting better and stronger - useful stress. Boot camp stress, study stress. Distress is the stress you feel when you have procrastinated on a major assignment, when you have left bills unpaid for three weeks, when you take on more than you can handle out of a false sense of pride or obligation. Don't let yourself get in the position to feel distress, but don't avoid eustress out of fear - it can actually be incredibly useful.

That's actually quite problematic - med schools can and will rescind your acceptance for a steep drop in your grades, especially if your excuse for them was "too depressed to find motivation to study". I think you need to start talking to a counselor. I'm sorry, I hate to add to your stress, but this could mess you up big time. Please don't wait til it's too late to take action, and get help. We'll always be there to help you out with the advice a therapist gives you as best as we can, but we can't do anything if a med school waves you off.

Some encouragement, though: I'm struggling with depression right now as an M1, and even though it is probably holding me back to some extent, I find the immense workload a helpful distraction - exhaustion and occasionally meandering attention are the only real detriments I experience. Med schools have many options to help you out if the depression really starts hurting you while enrolled there, and by the time you've earned a spot, they've decided you're valuable enough to work to keep on track. So, don't worry about med school yet. Worry about the right-now.

I understand where you're coming from because I've also struggled with depression. I think since you've successfully made it through undergrad, you should definitely try to take things to the next level by giving medical school a chance if you truly believe that becoming a physician will provide you some sort of satisfaction in life. I think not going for it and wondering "what if" will cause you more harm than going for it and deciding after first year(before you're too far into debt) that it's not for you. With that said, I think it's extremely important to find a therapist as soon as you move to your new town to help you through the tough times. I also recommend starting/continuing a healthy diet/exercise because studies show that that greatly helps with depression as well.

I wish you the best of luck and feel free to PM me if you need another person to vent to. :)

I really appreciate all of your advice. I have seen counselors before, and maybe it would be good for me to start again. It really goes against my nature to ask for help or to be dramatic. I can keep my grades up, I will focus more on that. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that I'm not the only premed/med student who struggles with this sort of thing.

Greg Plitt quotivation I, II and III. just search them on yt. I promise you they will help.

(mostly quotivation II)

The main thing is that you don't push yourself harder than you need to (ex. don't feel force to do too many ECs just because everyone else is). Also don't feel pressured to make friends with everyone (that is just impossible) just make sure you have one or two good friend you can turn too and can be an emotional support.

When in medical school, ask if they have a mentor system and keep meeting with your mentor. Make sure to talk about your uncertainties during medical school and I am sure he/she will steer you in the right direction. You may also want to see a psychologist because they will help you with the emotional issues (I don't know how much but it does help to talk to someone).

Make sure you express your problems with people you trust and get the help "as soon as a concern comes about." Just don't let it snowball because otherwise it may turnout bad.

You have shown that capability to academically succeed and the adcoms noticed this. So I am sure you have what it takes. Make sure you express your concerns when they happen and not later.

Congrats and Good luck!