Depression Research: What Models?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BNSN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergrad looking to get into MSTP programs next year. I will almost certainly end up at the University of Alabama at Birmingham MSTP (if I am lucky enough to get into anywhere, it will be UAB), so this is more of an academic question than anything, but what are the best depression research/depression treatment places in the country?

I know that the U of Michigan has some great depression research going on (especially with BDNF, stress, etc), but what are some other top-notch psychiatry places?

Also, what are the popular models in depression these days? It seems like all papers on depression that I see are dealing with BDNF, stress, etc. Is there much genetics research going on in depression? Are there any places with strong clinical research/drug programs?

Thanks! Also, for all of you psych residents, feel free to discuss the way depression is dealt with as an illness in psychiatry. I really, really want to become a psychiatrist, and I would love to hear how depression patients are.

And, lastly, as a very tangential question, if I want to end up as a psych resident at a place like McLean Hospital or MGH, how good do I have to be in med school? I know that psych is a non-competitive specialty, but surely the top programs in a non-competitive speciality are still hard? Will the PhD (if I get it!) help much?

Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad.

And, lastly, as a very tangential question, if I want to end up as a psych resident at a place like McClean Hospital or MGH, how good do I have to be in med school? I know that psych is a non-competitive specialty, but surely the top programs in a non-competitive speciality are still hard? Will the PhD (if I get it!) help much?

Yes, the top tier programs (like MGH/McLean) are still extremely competitive. Yes, the PhD will help, especially if you publish, but you will still be competing with other multiple degree applicants (MD/PhD, MD/JD, MD/MPH and the like).

Thanks Doc Samson!

The currently accepted model of depression is that everyone has it and needs medication.