Derm anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sabreman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there interested in derm? I'm going to go broke applying to 45 programs, but that seems to be the way to go to get enough interviews to match. I was hoping to catch a few people here who aren't on the other main boards. Good luck everyone on getting interviews where you want!

Members don't see this ad.

how much does it cost to apply to each program? What is it about derm that is so appealing to people? Is it the sensible hours and good $$?

Members don't see this ad :)
Derm is so popular not just because it has the best lifestyle (most zit-pickers work 4 days a week), but because it is the most flexible specialty. You can spend your days doing 50 skin checks and lots of biopsies, you can do nothing but Moh's surgery, you can become a millionaire doing liposuction, dermabration, laser resurfacing, and facelifts, you can spend your hours treating hard to manage medical condtions like mycosis fungoides and pemphigus, you can mix in as much derm path as you like, or you can set up a practice where you do a little of everything. You are almost guaranteed to find a niche you like.

liposuction? I thought that was done by a plastic surgeon...

facelifts? don't ENTs fellowshiped trained in facial plastics or plastic surgeons do those?

Ha! Little known fact, dermatologists don't just prescribe retin-A and steroids. In derm you get to do complicated facial reconstructive surgery (can't leave that 30 y/o woman with a big hole in her face after a basal cell), including skin flaps and full thickness grafts. Dermos also can be trained to do blepharoplasty and facial liposuction if your residency program is heavy into cosmetics. It's all up to you! :D

All things being equal I would not want a dermatologist performing any reconstructive or complex surgical procedure on me. They simply don't have the background or training in surgery to make me feel comfortable, especially for reoperative surgeries and for managing complications