Rad Onc vs derm vs others .. Help!

Started by soulcity
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

soulcity

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would appreciate some advice on choosing a specialty...

I am a third year med student in US allopathic school. I have been dead-set on going into Rad Onc even before med school. I have a decent Step 1 score (~250) with multiple first author publications in Rad Onc field. I also have some pretty strong connections in this field.

In third year, I loved Surgery and hated IM. I loved the OR and the acute aspect of Surgery. It helped that my Surgery attendings were awesome and allowed me to do so much than I could have imagined. I pondered on surgical subspecialtie but I don't think I can pursue it at this point in my life as I am much older than my current classmates and I envision starting a family soon. Now I am starting to ponder whether Rad Onc is the right field for me, because I don't get the same "rush" of excitement about this field compared to when I am in the OR or doing procedures. To this end, I was wondering if a field like Derm could be a feasible option for me (fellowship in Mohs?) as it could be a perfect combination of my interest in cancer and surgery without the demanding life of a surgery resident/attending. I am worried, because my CV "screams" Rad Onc, and I have no Derm-related research/work experience.

I would appreciate any input/advice.
 
Would appreciate some advice on choosing a specialty...

I am a third year med student in US allopathic school. I have been dead-set on going into Rad Onc even before med school. I have a decent Step 1 score (~250) with multiple first author publications in Rad Onc field. I also have some pretty strong connections in this field.

In third year, I loved Surgery and hated IM. I loved the OR and the acute aspect of Surgery. It helped that my Surgery attendings were awesome and allowed me to do so much than I could have imagined. I pondered on surgical subspecialtie but I don't think I can pursue it at this point in my life as I am much older than my current classmates and I envision starting a family soon. Now I am starting to ponder whether Rad Onc is the right field for me, because I don't get the same "rush" of excitement about this field compared to when I am in the OR or doing procedures. To this end, I was wondering if a field like Derm could be a feasible option for me (fellowship in Mohs?) as it could be a perfect combination of my interest in cancer and surgery without the demanding life of a surgery resident/attending. I am worried, because my CV "screams" Rad Onc, and I have no Derm-related research/work experience.

I would appreciate any input/advice.

From my vantage point it is not a difficult situation particularly because you stated you are older, and you also want a family (according to your other thread on recent breakup with ex bf)

A girlfriend of mine says often: “There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart......pursue those.”

Family?
Surgery? (age might be an issue wrt performance depending on specialty)
Rad Onc ?

which area of medicine affords you a better quality of life for raising a family and accommodating a mature age?

Frankly, your strong connections in Rad Onc, love of Rad Onc, desire to have a family at a mature age scream Rad Onc. Training in surgery now would thwart your dream of having a family and would kick anyone in the butt at a mature age.

go for family. Priceless

$0.02