derm path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonpeel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering path for future residency and am particularly interested in derm path. Does anyone have any info on this specialty? How competitive is it to get in, when to apply for the fellowship, and how many spots are available per year for it? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Derm path is very competitive. It is available as a fellowship to both pathologist and dermatologists. You would have to start looking for a fellowship about 2 years prior to you finishing your path residency since most fellowships are not obtained through a match process many are filled very early. For example the cyto fellowship in my program is already filled for next year and has been for about 3 months or more. You would definately want to go to a residency program that has a good derm path program. Because your best bet for fellowship is always your own program or someone they know well. I am not sure how many spots are available. Check Freida maybe.

To do a derm fellowship you need only do the anatomic path part of path, but not a great idea if you don't get into a derm path fellowship. Best to do both AP and CP just in case.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. Any idea which derm programs are good and what I need to do to get in? Appreciate any input. :)

I don't know which are considered the best besides the Armed Forces Institute of Path. I am sure all the big named schools have great derm path programs.

To get in you had best be near the top in all your studies from med school to residency. Also, research with derm path folks. Fellowships are mostly about who you know. My program does not have a derm path fellowship yet we are working on it.