• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

andie2

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I have an interest in dermatology, and I know this is the field I want to get into eventually. I have 2 and half more years of undergrad left. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get my esthetician license for the experience, but also be able to make more money than minimum wage...any thoughts?? Thanks :)

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Honestly, wouldn't help you one single bit, quite possibly the reverse. Get into a medical school, study like crazy, get some research experience, very solid LoR's and a really good USMLE score, and then you can start thinking of applying.

Esthetician license will NOT help you, and working while in med school wouldn't either.

Green Pirate

Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
PathOne is right... one step at a time. Worry about getting into med school first, and then worry about building up your resume for a derm residency.

One thing that might help is, if your undergrad has a medical campus, get in contact with the derm department there (if there is one), and perhaps do some research with them or shadow some dermatologists around. If you end up actually going to there for medical school, you could continue your research with them, and then when it comes time for residency, assuming you have all other factors in order, you might be able to match there. Either way, building some contacts in the derm field might help.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.