Dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryinghard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm new guys. i'm not even in medical school, but am trying to make my way.

hey, can you tell answer one thing.. what's the deal with dermatology..how come there's no category devoted to dermatology.

also, what's the deal with the match system. i heard you will get at least one of your choices...and that no one will be left without a place to go.

does this mean that if you select 10 of the best derm residencies you will get one? or does it mean..you might get something not on your list, like general practitioner?

are there things that you can do to maximize your derm chances...cause i know its way too hard to get in, and very competitive. should the average guy like me just give up derm dreams.

can you just select derm, and apply for all 25 programs...will this help you get at least one?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as the match goes you are absolutely not guaranteed to match at all. The number of people applying to Derm is far greater than available slots and as such in Derm the unmatch rate is quite high.Many Derm applicants realizing this also apply to internal medicine programs which allows them to have a fallback option.Applying to many programs is helpful but most applicants do this.There is a board dedicated to Dermatology residency applicants at ezboard.com .. the id for the board is Dermatology

To maximize your chances.First get into a reputable medical school then do well in your classes and boards and get involved in basic science or clinical research projects related to derm.Most crucial get to know members of the dept who can support your application.Politics plays a important role.good luck

I am also establishing a board for osteopathic dermatology residency related discussions. This board will be moderated by DO derm residents.

Dermatology Training Discussion Forum

Osteopathic derm is a smaller group and even DO students don't know where to begin in applying to osteopathic dermatology residency.

I am hoping to increase the communications between DO residents and students with the use of this new board