Dermpath???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrea17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any experience getting into dempath? What should i do to get a position? how difficult is to get it? please be realistic...

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

It's tough but people do it all the time so it's far from impossible. Chances are improved by

1) Doing residency at a place with a dermpath fellowship

2) Having an interest in dermpath and knowing people in the field

3) Publishing or researching in the field.

4) Badmouthing dermpath to every dermatologist you meet.

yaah said:
It's tough but people do it all the time so it's far from impossible. Chances are improved by

1) Doing residency at a place with a dermpath fellowship

2) Having an interest in dermpath and knowing people in the field

3) Publishing or researching in the field.

4) Badmouthing dermpath to every dermatologist you meet.

Dermpath from the pathology standpoint is melting away. You are competing with dermatologists, and more and more regardless of your training, skill or background, pathologists are losing out. Dermatopathologists have really turned Judas Iscariot and sold out not just trainees in pathology but us practicing pathologists as well. Practices are becoming less and less profitable with efflux of bread and butter dermpath cases to dermpath mills, commericial labs, to grinder academic programs like UCSF and the increasing ability of dermatologists to read their own slides. Honestly, if you want to practice dermpath go into dermatology. Its funny, alot of academic path programs will host a dermpath lecture series for dermatologists, but path residents wont be invited or even made to feel welcome to attend. I remember one dermpath (a fellow pathologist even) attending at an institution that will go unnamed actually tell a path resident to leave the derm lecture and go back to gross in small biopsies if he had so much free time. F*cking Judas, I hope they burn.

judas.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
The dermpath folks here are dermatology trained and from what I hear (haven't done a dermpath rotation yet - not till next year) they treat the derm residents much better but make us do the work in terms of tracking down problem cases, calling clinicians, etc. I am really not at all interested in derm path although it does make you more marketable. I think instead of worrying about classifying melanocytic lesions though (which is basically why people want to hire dermpaths for their private practice - everyone can diagnose BCCs and AKs) someone should just publish a paper where everything is either called benign nevus or melanoma (recommend wide excision) and be done with it.

yaah said:
The dermpath folks here are dermatology trained and from what I hear (haven't done a dermpath rotation yet - not till next year) they treat the derm residents much better but make us do the work in terms of tracking down problem cases, calling clinicians, etc. I am really not at all interested in derm path although it does make you more marketable. I think instead of worrying about classifying melanocytic lesions though (which is basically why people want to hire dermpaths for their private practice - everyone can diagnose BCCs and AKs) someone should just publish a paper where everything is either called benign nevus or melanoma (recommend wide excision) and be done with it.

I saw a surg path fellow humiliated so badly by a dermpath attending at signout while the dermatologists laughed that the Surg path director had to intervene. I almost went f*cking wild bunch on that crew. Pathology residents are treated COMPLETELY differently than the dermatologists on the same team by the attending. Damn, Im so jazzed at the moment I would beat serious a$$ if I had a dermatologist close by....ok Im done posting tonight. Pure hate has overtaken me.

LADoc00 said:
Damn, Im so jazzed at the moment I would beat serious a$$ if I had a dermatologist close by....ok Im done posting tonight. Pure hate has overtaken me.

No doubts whatsoever......Eminem,........... undercover!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

But seriously, humiliate?? For what ****ing reason?.......so what if you can t tell the classification of grade 4 **** melanoma or whatever.....its not the end of the damn ****ing world......

geez quant, it's all about **** this and **** that with you tonight. **** **** ****ity **** **** **** :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
geez quant, it's all about **** this and **** that with you tonight. **** **** ****ity **** **** **** :laugh:

I dont hold back anything.....well the anti cursing mechanism also helps....

LADoc00 said:
I saw a surg path fellow humiliated so badly by a dermpath attending at signout while the dermatologists laughed that the Surg path director had to intervene. I almost went f*cking wild bunch on that crew. Pathology residents are treated COMPLETELY differently than the dermatologists on the same team by the attending. Damn, Im so jazzed at the moment I would beat serious a$$ if I had a dermatologist close by....ok Im done posting tonight. Pure hate has overtaken me.

I would *misplace* their cases for a few days. Then roll my chair over their slides and have to get some recuts... and *accidently* step the whole block.

DrBloodmoney said:
I would *misplace* their cases for a few days. Then roll my chair over their slides and have to get some recuts... and *accidently* step the whole block.

Or show up to derm grand rounds with a ski mask, a can of mace and a baseball bat.

LADoc00 said:
Or show up to derm grand rounds with a ski mask, a can of mace and a baseball bat.

shh shh shh shh shh...ahh ahh ahh ahh ahhh

I have heard of multiple dermpath guys in the midwest who make big bucks and have little competition from derm. Is this just a western phenomenon you speak of?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have always been into Derm... but I like Dermpath much better because you don't have to deal with all the clinical crap... anyway I do intend to attempt to get a Dermpath fellowship... i start my path residency this july. The dermpath I am with right now is involved in a huge dermpath practice with labs across the country and the majority of the docs are from dermatology.... however there are quite a few from pathology. Anyway, the doc I'm with did an anatomic path residency then a dermatology residency then dermpath fellowship to get where he is now.
I guess the bottom line, as is with all of medicine is that you have to plan far in advance and now what you want and direct yourself towards that goal. From what i hear, You could always pay $10,000 a year to do a fellowship with Ackerman in NY ....

LADoc00 said:

I was looking at the rank lists for the various programs and it looks like pretty much no one goes into path from Stanford/UCSF/Harvard etc...while tons of people from those places go into Derm, rad onc, rads, optho etc...that might have something to do with it. They might just see path people as "not worthy", just like they see Path as not a worthy specialty.

SoCalRULES!!!!! said:
I was looking at the rank lists for the various programs and it looks like pretty much no one goes into path from Stanford/UCSF/Harvard etc...while tons of people from those places go into Derm, rad onc, rads, optho etc...that might have something to do with it. They might just see path people as "not worthy", just like they see Path as not a worthy specialty.

WTF are you talking about. I have many a friend who are alums of UCSF, Stanford and HMS who are pathologists, its a small field compered to rads or derm. In terms of numbers, you need dozens of front end primary care types to feed one pathologist enough cases.

WTF to you,

Stanford put six in derm and six in rads and zero in path.

Harvard put 6 in derm, 6 in rads, and 1 in path

Columbia put 3 in rads, 3 in derm and 0 in path

Duke put 11 in rads and 4 in derm and 0 in path

C'mon there's not that many more rads and derm spots than path!

Penn put 3 in derm and 4 in PATH but 17 in rads.

Get real

Here are the number of spots for each in 2004.

Derm 263 (1 unfilled)
Rads 975 (5 unfilled)
Path 477 (39 unfilled)

So your argument is that smart people or people who go to elite schools (and therefore are clearly entitled to get any competitive specialty of their choosing) don't have to "settle" for path because they have "better" options? So rads and derm is like the filet mignon while path is rump roast?

I can see how this mentality may influence some people to apply for certain specialties over others. Maybe some people are so self-conscious that they put too much stock on others' perceptions of them and let that dictate their career decision. Well, I guess, now, the yardstick for judging how cool and worthy a certain specialty is the number of folks from the prestigious institutions who match in that specialty. Wow, what an earth shattering concept! I guess pathology will continue to soar since all the students at the 120th best medical school will have to "settle" for applying to pathology.

Look man, I have had some people ask me why I didn't apply to one of the more competitive specialties given my credentials. They probably think of me as some idiot who passed up a better opportunity (stupid ****ers). Nonetheless, I chose the field I liked and that I was most interested in. Skin bores me (which is a tragedy because if I liked skin, I could've matched in derm and ended up making 2-3 times as much money when all is said and done). Rads is not scientific enough for me.

Sure pathology may not be the most glamorous, sexy field. Sure I may get **** for choosing pathology instead of let's say derm or rads. But to those folks, I extend a spoon and they can go to town on the dingleberries and klingons in my asscrack.

SoCalRULES!!!!! said:
Duke put...0 in path
I know of at least one from Duke who matched in pathology this year. And the year before that 3 from Duke matched into path.

Do you have the Duke's match list from 2005 that would prove otherwise? If so, please provide a link.

AndyMilonakis said:
So your argument is that smart people or people who go to elite schools (and therefore are clearly entitled to get any competitive specialty of their choosing) don't have to "settle" for path because they have "better" options? So rads and derm is like the filet mignon while path is rump roast?

I can see how this mentality may influence some people to apply for certain specialties over others. Maybe some people are so self-conscious that they put too much stock on others' perceptions of them and let that dictate their career decision. Well, I guess, now, the yardstick for judging how cool and worthy a certain specialty is the number of folks from the prestigious institutions who match in that specialty. Wow, what an earth shattering concept! I guess pathology will continue to soar since all the students at the 120th best medical school will have to "settle" for applying to pathology.

Look man, I have had some people ask me why I didn't apply to one of the more competitive specialties given my credentials. They probably think of me as some idiot who passed up a better opportunity (stupid ****ers). Nonetheless, I chose the field I liked and that I was most interested in. Skin bores me (which is a tragedy because if I liked skin, I could've matched in derm and ended up making 2-3 times as much money when all is said and done). Rads is not scientific enough for me.

Sure pathology may not be the most glamorous, sexy field. Sure I may get **** for choosing pathology instead of let's say derm or rads. But to those folks, I extend a spoon and they can go to town on the dingleberries and klingons in my asscrack.

Bravo brother......

Choosing a specialty based on an individual *choice* is not something a two bit mudbutt would EVER understand.....

AndyMilonakis said:
So your argument is that smart people or people who go to elite schools (and therefore are clearly entitled to get any competitive specialty of their choosing) don't have to "settle" for path because they have "better" options? So rads and derm is like the filet mignon while path is rump ............

That was great stuff, Andy. However, I wouldn't bother with this chump...SoCalRules has not a damn clue of what medicine is. Hell, you are talking to a pubescent, zit-faced, 10th grade virgin that is fixated with getting into medschool since his daddy would have his nuts chopped off if he didn't ...he should rather be spankin' his monkey discovering his self or in the bush smoking a doob. Instead, he surfs the web in search of finding the highest paid jobs and dreamin' about all the loot he's gonna make

SoCalRules, stop stirring the pot...you don't know jack $hit about this profession. Pathology is the brains of medicine...the most intelligent people I've met were pathologists. Pathology attracts the most intelligent, passionate, and modest individuals! They are "The doctor's doctor!" Now get your spoiled a$$ off the web and get yourself some beaver, you're only a teenager once! And please, lose the signature...enough of this rich, spoiled, pretentious white suburbanite claiming to be a gangsta $hit.

Actually Harbster, he happens to be quite knowledgable about pathology as a field and profession.

I can't imagine how much $$$ derm would have to provide before I would do that as a career. The month I spent in it was simply not interesting to me. Dermpath, I can't necessarily rule it out. I don't really like it right now, and I am fairly sure I don't want to ***** myself out to the dermpathologists to suck up for a fellowship spot, but I can't rule it out. There are a lot of neat diagnoses to make in dermpath.

yaah said:
I can't imagine how much $$$ derm would have to provide before I would do that as a career. The month I spent in it was simply not interesting to me. Dermpath, I can't necessarily rule it out. I don't really like it right now, and I am fairly sure I don't want to ***** myself out to the dermpathologists to suck up for a fellowship spot, but I can't rule it out. There are a lot of neat diagnoses to make in dermpath.

How many dermpath fellowships are out there? I don't want to be a ***** either, but if I am I will wear protection for sure.

yaah said:
I can't imagine how much $$$ derm would have to provide before I would do that as a career.

I would seriously need at least a million a year, and I don't know if I could keep it up for 30 years. Derm is one of the most boring specialties I've encountered. Most anything else would be better, even if it meant incredibly long hours or more stress.

Come on everyone!! we have seen SOcalrules go on and on about this crap before. He obviously dose not listen to a word anyone says but still posts on this forum. He is an IDIOT its that simple. Its always rads rads rads or derm derm derm. Who cares get a life. If these fields are so f'ing great then keep it to yourself, why the constant advertisement. Your just a little dork with a chip on your shoulder, who probably has never touched a member of the opposite sex (besides in clinical rotations with supervision). Buzz off and get a life. if thats still possible.

Its a very common misconception dermatology is somehow the key to mad bank, they do okay but no where near a solid pathologist, surgeon, radiologist or rad onc. Most of their jobs start to top at 200 and to get further they have to journey into cosmetics, which in relation to their business skillz can either suceed or fail miserably.

Its interesting, most academic dermatology department lose MAD $$$ for the hospital. I think it was so bad at Davis Med Center that the new chair of Dermatology took all the skin biopsies to Derm department, away from Path (!) just to bring his dept. into the black.

SoCalRULES!!!!! said:
WTF to you,

C'mon there's not that many more rads and derm spots than path!

Get real

Here are the number of spots for each in 2004.

Derm 263 (1 unfilled)
Rads 975 (5 unfilled)
Path 477 (39 unfilled)
WTF?!? Where did you come up with those bull**** matchlists? I know for a fact that at least one is dead wrong....watch your credibility dude, check your facts before broadcasting BS.

LADoc00 said:
Its a very common misconception dermatology is somehow the key to mad bank, they do okay but no where near a solid pathologist, surgeon, radiologist or rad onc. Most of their jobs start to top at 200 and to get further they have to journey into cosmetics, which in relation to their business skillz can either suceed or fail miserably.

Its interesting, most academic dermatology department lose MAD $$$ for the hospital. I think it was so bad at Davis Med Center that the new chair of Dermatology took all the skin biopsies to Derm department, away from Path (!) just to bring his dept. into the black.
Hmm...interesting.

I just spoke with one of our med students who is contemplating derm vs. rads vs. path because he is a "visual person" and "doesn't want to get bored" with his specialty. I tried to set him straight on the derm thing...but I could see the $$ in his eyes as they glazed over...too bad he's been innoculated already.

yeah, only the 2004 list is available on that link. according to that list 3 people matched into path last year.

cytoborg said:
Hmm...interesting.

I just spoke with one of our med students who is contemplating derm vs. rads vs. path because he is a "visual person" and "doesn't want to get bored" with his specialty. I tried to set him straight on the derm thing...but I could see the $$ in his eyes as they glazed over...too bad he's been innoculated already.

Wow - someone who "Doesn't want to get bored" with their specialty should probably consider something other than derm. After a one month rotation I feel like I saw 95% of the things they see day to day. Derm is one of the more routine specialties out there.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Y'all are just jealous 'cos you didn't match to or go to Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, Duke OR Upenn for med school :rolleyes: You're all just jealous!! :laugh: We should all aspire to graduate from Stanford/Harvard/Columbia/Duke/Penn derm or rads. That's all that America needs from its doctors.

SoCalRULES!!!!! said:

Rads is VASTLY better than derm for pay, like by 2x! and the hours are really
comparable. Med students are lemmings.
1. Spinal Ortho 1 million+
2. Neuro Surgery 900K
3. Radiology 900K
4. CV Surgery/Interventional Cards 800K
5. Plastics 800K
6. Rad Onc 780K
7. Ortho Subspeciality 750K
8. Ophtho Retinal 700K
9. HemeOnc 685K
10. Anesthesia Pain Management 650K

Derm isnt even top 10, in fact its not even top 20 I think.

Code:
SPECIALTY	Years 1-2 	>3	 Max 
	Allergy/ Immunology $158,000 	$221,000	$487,000 
	Ambulatory	  $80,000	             $112,000	$152,000
	Anesthesiology: Pedi$283,000	$311,000	$378,000
	Anesthesiology: Gen$207,000 	$275,000	$448,000 
	Anesthesiology: Pain$315,000 	$370,000	$651,000 
	Cardiology: Invasive $258,000 	$395,000	$647,000 
	Cardiology: Intervent$290,000 	$468,000	$811,000 
	Cardiology: Noninvas$268,000 	$403,000	$599,000 
	Critical Care 	$187,000 	$215,000	$320,000 
	Dermatology 	$ 195,000 	$308,000	$452,000 
	Emergency Medicine$192,000 	$216,000	$295,000 
	Endocrinology 	$171,000 	$187,000	$260,000 
	FP (with OB) 	$182,000 	$204,000	$241,000 
	FP (w/o OB) 	$161,000 	$135,000	$239,000 
	FP - Sports Medicin$ 152,000	$208,000	$363,000
	FP - Urgent Care	$ 128,000	$198,000	$299,000
	Gastroenterology 	$265,000 	$349,000	$590,000 
	Hematology/Oncolo$181,348 	$245,000	$685,000 
	Infectious Disease 	$154,000 	$178,000	$271,000 
	Internal Medicine 	$154,000 	$176,000	$238,000 
	IM (Hospitalist) 	$161,000 	$172,000	$245,000 
	Medicine/Pediatrics	$139,000	             $168,000	$271,000
	Medical Oncology	$198,000	             $257,000	$455,000
	Neonatal Medicine 	$286,000 	$310,000	$381,000 
	Nephrology 	$191,000 	$269,000	$447,000 
	Neurology 	$180,000 	$228,000	$345,000 
	Obstetrics/Gynecol$211,000 	$261,000	$417,000 
	Gynecology 	$159,000 	$213,000	$358,000 
	Maternal/Fetal Me  $286,000 	$322,000	$610,000 
	Occupational Medic$139,000 	$185,000	$290,000 
	Ophthalmology 	$138,000 	$314,000	$511,000 
	Ophthalmology Reti$280,000 	$469,000	$716,000 
	Orthopedic Surgery$256,000 	$342,000	$670,000 
	ORS - Foot & Ankl  $228,000 	$392,000	$791,000 
	ORS - Hand & Uppe$288,000 	$459,000	$770,000 
	ORS - Hip & Joint R$330,000 	$491,000	$715,000 
	ORS - Spine Surge $398,000 	$670,000	$1,352,000 
	ORS - Sports Medic$266,000 	$479,000	$762,000 
	Otorhinolaryngology $194,000 	$311,000	$516,000 
	Pathology 	$169,000 	$321,000	$610,000 
	Pediatrics 	$135,000 	$175,000	$271,000 
	Pediatrics - Cardiol$145,000  	$282,000	$607,000 
	Pediatrics - Critical$196,000	             $259,000	$398,000
	Pediatrics - Hemat$182,000 	             $217,000	$251,000 
	Pediatrics - Neurol $175,000 	$189,000	$362,000 
	Physiatry            $169,000 	             $244,000	$313,000 
	Podiatry 	            $128,000 	             $168,000	$292,000 
	Psychiatry            $149,000 	$169,000	$238,000 
	Psychiatry - Child  $158,000 	$189,000	$265,000 
	Pulmonary Medicin $215,000 	$288,000	$417,000 
	Radiation Oncology $241,000 	$385,000	$787,000 
	Radiology 	$201,000 	$354,000	$911,000 
	Rheumatology 	$179,000 	$229,000	$378,000 
	Surgery - General 	$226,000 	$291,000	$520,000 
	Surgery - Cardiova$336,000  	$515,000	$811,000 
	Surgery - Neurolog $354,000 	$541,000	$936,000 
	Surgery - Plastic 	$237,000 	$412,000	$820,000 
	Surgery - Vascular$270,000 	             $329,000	$525,000 
	Urology 	            $261,000 	             $358,000	$619,000

brainwashed. they're all brainwashed. god forbid a med student has an independent thought. derm derm derm. and this year, in my class, gas gas gas. oh god. please. you couldn't pay me enough cash to be a dermatologist. it's disgusting (but not cool-disgusting) and agonizingly routine. the worst part, of course, is the crappy holier-than-thou, kiss-my-ass attitude the derms get. god they are hateful.

and i don't care what anyone says. path IS sexy. :D

EUA said:
brainwashed. they're all brainwashed. god forbid a med student has an independent thought. derm derm derm. and this year, in my class, gas gas gas. oh god. please. you couldn't pay me enough cash to be a dermatologist. it's disgusting (but not cool-disgusting) and agonizingly routine. the worst part, of course, is the crappy holier-than-thou, kiss-my-ass attitude the derms get. god they are hateful.

Lets not go that far, but if you succeed in private practice and make a ton of $$$ which is possible in path then I think you can "do 2 chicks at the same time".

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.
Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.

EUA said:

yeah wtf is up with gas. gas was popular at my school too.

my roommate is in gas. he showed me some job listings a while back (forgot the url for the site) but i was like "Damn!" gas folks make a ton of bank. problem is they also pay a ****load of malpractice insurance too. but the lifestyle is great! lifestyle lifestyle lifestyle rah rah rah! yay yay yay! :rolleyes:

AndyMilonakis said:
yeah wtf is up with gas. gas was popular at my school too.

my roommate is in gas. he showed me some job listings a while back (forgot the url for the site) but i was like "Damn!" gas folks make a ton of bank. problem is they also pay a ****load of malpractice insurance too. but the lifestyle is great! lifestyle lifestyle lifestyle rah rah rah! yay yay yay! :rolleyes:

When I was applying for residency anesth. was a nearly dead a field, somewhere around 30-50 total AMGs entered training programs in 1999 or 2000, forget which. Deans were telling med students that NA/RNs would take over and you would be out of job. At one point, think it was 1982-84, anesth. was the most competitive residency to get into. Kinda of like the derm of today. Then in the 90s it began a slow and steady decline before completely collapsing around 98. Big programs were losing accreditation, the residents went from being the AOA type to the not being able to speak English type overnight. I was the lone voice of reason in my med school class telling people the field was ripe for a crazy comeback. People who could have matched into UCSF anesth. decided on goin to mid tier IM programs out of fear for not being to get a job, now they are dead ended in crap 130 grand positions with an HMO or at some VA. Meanwhile someone Russian immigrant who trained in anesth. when no one wanted to is deciding between 400 grand positions in Miami or San Diego and laughing all the way to the bank.

yaah said:
Wow - someone who "Doesn't want to get bored" with their specialty should probably consider something other than derm. After a one month rotation I feel like I saw 95% of the things they see day to day. Derm is one of the more routine specialties out there.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly...I have a little hunch that his "reasoning" is BS and he's fallen victim to the $ misconception LADoc has described.

yaah said:

I am starting to think a little about dermpath. I am on derm now and while I wouldn't want to do it forever (or do anything in clinical medicine forever :rolleyes: ), it definitely seems like there would be cool diagnoses.

The derm residents and faculty I have been working with are cool and all reacted very favorably about my interest in path. They seem to think it is better to be trained in derm than in path to be a dermpath, but I guess their bias makes sense. There are two dermpaths here - one trained in derm, and one in path.

beary said:
The derm residents and faculty I have been working with are cool and all reacted very favorably about my interest in path. They seem to think it is better to be trained in derm than in path to be a dermpath, but I guess their bias makes sense. There are two dermpaths here - one trained in derm, and one in path.

On one of my AP rotations, I was able to sit in on hours of dermpath signouts every week -- with derm residents and the single path resident who happened to be doing the rotation. The attending would go around the scope asking each resident to read a slide, and the derms by far were far superior. But I don't think it's because the derms were inherently smarter, talented or more beautiful than the path resident. I think it's because the derms knew all the strange and crazy skin diseases, whereas the path resident had to know about every system in the body. I as a med student couldn't even begin to pronounce some of those skin diseases. So I do think that derms have a leg up when it comes to dermpath, but only because they've been exposed to all the skin stuff. I think dermpaths coming from path would be better at diagnosing the strange derm manifestations of systemic diseases.

I figured out the meaning of everything.

From now on, I am a dermatopathologist-hematopathologist-hematologist-radiologist-soft tissue pathologist-lab director, now pay me 1 million dollars a year.

Mkkkayy??