DEROS and ETS Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArmyHPSP2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question, if my ETS date (May) is about 4 months prior to my DEROS date (Sept) can I ETS when I’m due or must I stay the full 36 months? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to fulfill all service commitments (unless you get a waiver) including commitments for training payback and DEROS. I had 1 year left on my commitment from training but voluntarily took a commitment to an overseas location which incurred a 3 year DEROS. The DEROS superseded my training commitment. In your case, your DEROS is the date. Typically they won't move you if you have less than 1 year of retainability left. If you intend to separate, the most likely scenario is that you will have to extend 4 month so that your ETS date lines up with you DEROS. They may give you a DEROS waiver tho, doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’m hoping to apply to a civilian residency and therefore would need to get out prior to July 1, 2026. Would it just be HRC who I’d ask for the waiver?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m hoping to apply to a civilian residency and therefore would need to get out prior to July 1, 2026. Would it just be HRC who I’d ask for the waiver?
I've been out for a few so I'm not sure at this point. You will likely need approvals at multiple local levels and all the way up the chain. I will say tho, I wouldn't hold your breath. If you were applying for a service connected residency, you'd likely get a waiver without any issues. But to leave to start a civ residency, it's going to be hard. Good luck

Edit: If you save all your leave and have enough terminal leave saved up, you might be able to make it happen.

Is your local commander the type you could approach with this info without causing a bunch of issues? They will likely give you a good idea right up front whether it's possible or not. If they say "No chance" then you can drop it right there. They will at least know who you will have to go through to get it done.

Well, at the time I’d be ready to seperate it would be a different commander. We shall see what happens! I’ll start saving leave! Should I ask for a waiver without mentioning a residency?

In my opinion, if you already plan to get out anyways, there is not much value in hiding any of this from your chain of command. When I was preparing to leave the service, I did my best to hide my intensions from anyone who I thought might make my life difficult if they knew I was leaving. I don't think that it helped my causes at all, it may have actually made my life unnecessarily difficult. I think in your case, you are going to need a lot of help a long the way to make it happen. I would start reaching out right away and let everyone know when and why. This way you can find out early if it is a HARD no, then you won't waste time and money applying this year.

Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it! Just to clarify, my DEROS is September 2026 so this is a few years away. I won’t apply to residency for another 2 years about. I was thinking about asking now to move it up to maybe July/June to allow better timing with the kids schools. Since we arrived in September, my kids are starting school 2 months late.

When I was Air Force, local leadership had "some" leeway to approve DEROS waivers. Someone told me within 90 days, but who knows what the actual rule is. You might have a good case here, I hope it works out for you.

It’s the military…prepare to be screwed.

IMG_9876.jpeg

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
I dont know about army, but air force is getting extremely strict with DEROS curtainment (might also just be due to the OIC at the time). I wouldn't count on being able to get a DEROS curtainment at the tail. I would save up a bunch of leave if residency is the main goal. On the flip side, you can always ask for a DEROS extension that will match up with a May timeline.

I reached out to my branch manager and switched it up to June 2026. Things actually worked out in my favor for once! Haha thanks all!

I reached out to my branch manager and switched it up to June 2026. Things actually worked out in my favor for once! Haha thanks all!
One more point and I will leave this alone. Make sure that this change trickles down to the local level. It should show on MPERS (is this still a thing?) or what ever your official record is so that your local leadership can't raise a stink at the end.