Des Moines Podiatry Preview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pktgresch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently applied to the podiatry preview program at Des Moines for the summer. This statement on the website concerns me regarding requirements for acceptance into the program: "Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student, planning to enter sophomore, junior or senior year of college in fall 2012. (Other students are welcome to apply but should note that preference will be given to sophomores and juniors.)"

I will be entering my senior year after this summer, so it would appear that preference for acceptance will be given to other applicants; but that just does not sit right with me at all. One of the conditions of acceptance is the guaranteed interview when applying to the podiatric medical school, which for me will be this up and coming August. Why then would they prefer juniors and sophomore seven? Should they not be targeting seniors and potential juniors planning to apply at the end of the summer?

Any insight about the program would be greatly appreciated as I am excited about the program.

The link for the program: http://www.dmu.edu/admission/summer-podiatry-preview/?utm_source=DPM+Prospective+Students+Pod+Preview&utm_campaign=619b0d3256-CPMS_podiatry_preview3_5_2012&utm_medium=email

Also I realize that I probably should have shot an email to admissions atDes Moines but the deadline is passed already so it might not be relevantanymore; that and I have already blew them up with questions I do not think itwise to keep asking them!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it. You'll get a spot. This is an admissions tool, they are trying to impress you with the facilities here as much as you may be trying to impress the DPM faculty you meet.

I guaranteed interview is not an acceptance, so like dtrack said, it's just a way to get students in to see the facilities and entice them to come (which does work...)

If you want it, go for it, if you don't get it, don't sweat it at all. I'd be curious to see the percentage of students admitted that attend that...I don't know any in my first year class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for this program too. The website says the deadline is May 1st, but on a confirmation email from the admissions department said the deadline is May 27th and that acceptances will go out early June... I was confused about this, but I didn't want to stir the pot as they have my admission decision in their hands....

I was also confused by the wording in that paragraph, but I figured a couple of things, a lot of people don't know about podiatry, and probably don't hear about it until after taking the MCAT, and it doesn't hurt to apply and see what happens (I'm also a junior presently - at least for another hour and half when I have my last final).

I was accepted in the program last year. To be honest, my stats are not good. If I tell you, everyone would say I wouldn't have a chance to get in unless I have a great MCAT score. I have a strong passion for podiatry and it really showed with my resume and personal statement. I believe they're looking for potentials that know what they're getting themselves into with the profession, and those who show how badly they want the experience. If you really want it, keep checking on the application status. That's what I did, but I'm not sure if it helped my chances. I didn't think I would get accepted because I knew people with much better gpas applied who also probably have better resumes. The major perk about this program is that you will have a guaranteed interview whenever you apply. It just showed me that a person like me can have an opportunity to be successful and not give up.

I was accepted in the program last year. To be honest, my stats are not good. If I tell you, everyone would say I wouldn't have a chance to get in unless I have a great MCAT score. I have a strong passion for podiatry and it really showed with my resume and personal statement. I believe they're looking for potentials that know what they're getting themselves into with the profession, and those who show how badly they want the experience. If you really want it, keep checking on the application status. That's what I did, but I'm not sure if it helped my chances. I didn't think I would get accepted because I knew people with much better gpas applied who also probably have better resumes. The major perk about this program is that you will have a guaranteed interview whenever you apply. It just showed me that a person like me can have an opportunity to be successful and not give up.

When did you find out? Via email?

Just got an email: May 15th is when they are sending out acceptances. :xf::xf:

Got the email too,hopefully I will see you there!

Me too, waiting for the May 15 decision date. Looks like we probably will RAM into each other.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I really hope that assumption of mine wasn't wrong. Because otherwise, you're making fun of me right now.:laugh:

lol I know what you're talking about, though I still don't know what a kohawk looks like :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Just look behind you during a football game, because we're always kicking your ass! :D

Ahhhhhhhhh. Sometime in the next 24 hours-ish we find out! Anyone else pumped/nervous/anxious?!

Absolutely excited, tomorrow also happens to be the deadline for my profs to post my grades from last semester, and there going to be good. I have had a lot going for me lately, if i get this too i will be ecstatic.

Absolutely excited, tomorrow also happens to be the deadline for my profs to post my grades from last semester, and there going to be good. I have had a lot going for me lately, if i get this too i will be ecstatic.

:thumbup::thumbup: Our grades deadline was last Monday, but I finally got my last grade today (literally just checked). Woooo!!!!!

Haha I am constantly checking my email...

Still checking email and grades, none are up. Hopefully the profs and adcom at Des Moines have gotten their noon nap so they can raise their productivity a little lol

lol looks like i'm not the only one refreshing my emails. Hopefully we should hear back from them within the next couple hours.

How am I expected to be able to concentrate on my MCAT studying when I check my email and SDN every ten minutes?!

How am I expected to be able to concentrate on my MCAT studying when I check my email and SDN every ten minutes?!

You don't, plus it's 87 degrees out there, which means my dorm is super stuffy in this humid midwest weather.

You don't, plus it's 87 degrees out there, which means my dorm is super stuffy in this humid midwest weather.

Wooo! We have air conditioners at my school :laugh:

But also, I'm home for the summer and it's slightly cooler up in the great state of Minnesota. :D

I bet they're waiting until the end of the day to send out the emails so they don't get angry calls from people asking why they didn't get in. That must be a headache...

Wooo! We have air conditioners at my school :laugh:

But also, I'm home for the summer and it's slightly cooler up in the great state of Minnesota. :D

I bet they're waiting until the end of the day to send out the emails so they don't get angry calls from people asking why they didn't get in. That must be a headache...

Only two of our dorms are equipped with A/C, the rest are legacies from the 1930s.
Anyway, I hope they will send out the decision SOON. Hate this waiting game when I still have a paper to write.

Anyone else think they are no longer coming today?

I read their email again and it said: "we hope to notify all students of our selections by May 15"

Did anyone hear anything? I have had another day of anxiously waiting.

got nothing from em, they should have the acceptances out at the end of the week at the very least...?

Nope... I gave up on the refresh button earlier today.... Hopefully we know before the end of the week.

Keep your fingers crossed!!

Anyone heard back yet? Still didn't receive a thing from them. I hope they won't wait 'till next month.

not a word, if i hadnt just scored well on AAMC #11 right before I take my MCAT tomorrow I might be upset :laugh:

not a word, if i hadnt just scored well on AAMC #11 right before I take my MCAT tomorrow I might be upset :laugh:

Great job and GOOD LUCK tomorrow!!

I just emailed DMU asking for and estimated day they may send out the invites. If they email me back I will let everyone know.

Good luck PKT and thanks SLC!! I, as you might have guessed have also heard nothing...

DMU should just give it to us on this forum cause we obviously really want it, and isn't that their goal??

needless to say, the MCAT was hard and I feel like I did terrible. That may however be a good thing... who knows? Des Moines should not have thrown out the date of the 15th, it got me excited for a email saying :thumbdown: that has yet to come haha

needless to say, the MCAT was hard and I feel like I did terrible. That may however be a good thing... who knows? Des Moines should not have thrown out the date of the 15th, it got me excited for a email saying :thumbdown: that has yet to come haha

I'm sue you did great! Let us know in a month? Maybe it will inspire us 21st-ers to do excellently if you find out before.

Sadly I didn't make it. Hopefully I will see you at DMU as a student in the future. Let us know how it goes!!!

I'm sorry. :( It looks like the first year they did the program they had ~60 apps for only 6 spots. I imagine the applicant pool has grown since 2009, so less than 10% get a spot (if the numbers are similar) - ie it is beyond competitive and almost a luck-of-the-draw type of situation.

If accepted at DMU, are you going there 100%?

I'm sorry. :( It looks like the first year they did the program they had ~60 apps for only 6 spots. I imagine the applicant pool has grown since 2009, so less than 10% get a spot (if the numbers are similar) - ie it is beyond competitive and almost a luck-of-the-draw type of situation.

If accepted at DMU, are you going there 100%?

I can't say yes because I haven't been on all the campuses yet. When I am interviewing I will make the decision then.

Top 4 as of now:

DMU
AZPOD
CSPM
OCPM

Msion? Pktgresch?

@SLC: I'm thinking DMU, Scholl, and AZPOD for sure. Apply for NYCPM and Barry depending on what my MCAT score looks like. My adviser really wants me to apply to OCPM, but I really do not want to live in Ohio for four years.... (The only plus to Iowa the state is that it's ~4 hours from Minneapolis my hometown).

Nope, got my rejection. It's pretty funny that they first sent me an email under a different name, but they sent the rejection again with my name on it. A little sad, but I guess it's a pretty competitive process. Maybe they are not looking at stats but your interest in the field?

Nope, got my rejection. It's pretty funny that they first sent me an email under a different name, but they sent the rejection again with my name on it. A little sad, but I guess it's a pretty competitive process. Maybe they are not looking at stats but your interest in the field?
I too got a rejection, and it addressed me as Jenna. The second rejection email they sent me did not address me at all.. I could not have portrayed my self as anymore interested in the field as I did in that one page essay. I spent 8 hours with a local DPM today whom I consider a friend just because its fun; and truth be told I would have been bored other wise with nothing else to do.
All is good in the world though, I have a paid research internship to participate in this summer anyhow, starting soon. Their email said that I should still apply in the near future (paraphrasing) but I wonder if that was just a generic email they sent out like Jenna's. Needless to say, I will be contacting them after I receive my MCAT score on June 18th to see if it is even worth applying come August.
GL max, have fun please do let us now how it goes!

As stated above, if a ton of people apply, and there are only six spots, chances are slim. Not being accepted to this program is not an indicator of your chances of being accepted as a podiatry student at the school. Don't get down about it, put your efforts into the MCAT and get ready to apply to schools this fall.

I too got a rejection, and it addressed me as Jenna. The second rejection email they sent me did not address me at all.. I could not have portrayed my self as anymore interested in the field as I did in that one page essay. I spent 8 hours with a local DPM today whom I consider a friend just because its fun; and truth be told I would have been bored other wise with nothing else to do.
All is good in the world though, I have a paid research internship to participate in this summer anyhow, starting soon. Their email said that I should still apply in the near future (paraphrasing) but I wonder if that was just a generic email they sent out like Jenna's. Needless to say, I will be contacting them after I receive my MCAT score on June 18th to see if it is even worth applying come August.
GL max, have fun please do let us now how it goes!

You gotta be kidding me lol The one I got was under Jenna as well :eek: Anyway, I will just use this summer to finish my research and MCAT, then go ahead and apply in August. Hopefully I can secure interviews before school starts in September so that I don't have to travel back and forth.

Thanks guys. I'm sure it wasn't because you were less qualified than me, it's probably just so competitive that it was less about how good your essay/GPA was but more about how lucky you got when the selection committee met. I think based on what you've all said, this program seems to be more competitive than actually getting an interview at the school so hopefully that will encourage you to apply. Also I don't know where you are all from but I live pretty close to Des Moines so if region played any part of the selection process, it definitely helped me.

Let's just get those big MCAT scores and we'll all be golden once applications and interviews start up in nearly [eek!] two months.

Is there anyone watching this thread that got in? Have you heard anything from DMU in the last two weeks?????

When is the Preview? I move up there in late July