Describe Yourself Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rurmann

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI all, I am working on the Albany Medical College secondary, specifically the "describe yourself" essay.

I have written one essay about living in a rural area, and one about rescuing a friend, but I then had a relatively unique idea.

I took a Gallup Strengthsfinder test in college, which gives me 5 top traits I could talk about. would it be frowned upon to draw off of those results maybe describing a situation that exemplifies each? should I include where these results come from or just use the traits without saying it was from a test?

or skip it and keep the other essays

quick-edit: In care you're curious, these are the top five, and I feel they are pretty apt for medical school

Achiever
People who are especially talented in the Achiever theme have a great deal of stamina and work hard. They take great satisfaction from being busy and productive.
Learner
People who are especially talented in the Learner theme have a great desire to learn and want to continuously improve. In particular, the process of learning, rather than the outcome, excites them.
Ideation
People who are especially talented in the Ideation theme are fascinated by ideas. They are able to find connections between seemingly disparate phenomena.
Competition
People who are especially talented in the Competition theme measure their progress against the performance of others. They strive to win first place and revel in contests.
Activator
People who are especially talented in the Activator theme can make things happen by turning thoughts into action. They are often impatient.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Instead of that, how about being introspective and from the heart?

Suppose your long lost Aunt Bea
old-lady-face-shutterstock_98308550.jpg

came to visit, and she asks you:
"So rurmann, sweetie, tell me about yourself?"

What would you tell her?????

Reactions: 5 users
Except Im not talking to Bea, im talking to someone on the adcoms, they dont want to hear that im a cat lover or plays excessive amounts of videogames.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Considering that at one point some half a dozen of the adcoms on here had cat photos as their avatars, perhaps they would like to hear you are a cat lover. How you took a stray in, a wild cat and made it your best friend, how you found the stress from the world was relieved with the simply gesture of caring for something that didnt care about your grades, or your job, or anything else. (My Braveheart is now dead 2 years)

I know this is a year old but I was really struggling with this "Describe yourself" prompt.
I asked for clues and a family member suggested "Write about your dog, how you adopted him, etc". I brushed it off like yea ok, this is medical school, nobody wants to hear about my dog...
But alas, maybe they do...

I’m gonna talk about my tinder adventures.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
“The first time I got ghonorrhea...”
“It was a dark and stormy night. Her name was Juanita. I met her at the local Chinese-cereal fusion restaurant for some ‘Captain Crunch Fu Yung.’ The omelette-like dish was drenched in berry flavored milk which moistened more than just our appetites....”

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
“It was a dark and stormy night. Her name was Juanita. I met her at the local Chinese-cereal fusion restaurant for some ‘Captain Crunch Fu Yung.’ The omelette-like dish was drenched in berry flavored milk which moistened more than just our appetites....”
I read this and it made me cringe, then I realized I am the one who wrote it. Yikes.

Reactions: 1 users