Description of Duties

Started by breenie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

breenie

Weenie 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey folks,

So I'm workin' on my VMCAS app, and it's pretty easy to enter in my description of duties for employment and volunteer work, but I was wondering how you all handled shadowing? It's pretty lame just to put "observed dr. so and so while they performed x,y, and z," but I don't want to be over the top or anything. How did you guys describe your shadowing experiences?
 
I basically just said "shadowed Dr x twice a week for x months on both surgery days and outpatient visits. Occassionally assisted with minor restraint of patients." something like that but a little better worded. I don't think it matters too much what you say there, your space is limited. I think they just want to see that you were actually involved with a veterinarian, not what you know how to do. Plus they know that some states students aren't allowed to do anything other than shadow, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
 
I wrote basically what you and gellabella both put. I said how often i shadowed, what i observed, and described the basic duties that i was allowed to do. Then i think i wrote about the top 2 procedures i observed just so they realize that i have seen more than just spays/neuters
 
If I observed it, I prefaced the description with "observed the following". If I did it, I list the activities that I engaged in. There's a really small amount of space, so I couldn't put in as much detail as I would like, which is really frustrating. I elected to leave out tasks that I repeated later down the line. For example, if I gave vaccinations at one clinic, I didn't mention it for another one if I had something more interesting like flashing clamps during OHE.