Designer Polymer Importance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In TBR on page 254 it talks about designer polymers and how we need to be familiar with sulfonated-polystyrene, carboxymethyl-cellulose, and diethylaminoethoxy-cellulose. Since it says to be familiar with those polymers, do I just need to know which polymers carry a negative and positive value?

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to say, since whether something will be positive or negative depends on the solvent or environment. If i were you, i wouldnt even try to memorize this. It's way out of scope.

Hard to say, since whether something will be positive or negative depends on the solvent or environment. If i were you, i wouldnt even try to memorize this. It's way out of scope.
Haha thank you. I attempted to memorize it, but I thought it wouldn't be useful. If this appears on my MCAT I am just going to give up lol.

Can you comment on how detailed the TBR books are? I don't have one but they seemed to have so much details? and can I ask which version of the books you used?

Can you comment on how detailed the TBR books are? I don't have one but they seemed to have so much details? and can I ask which version of the books you used?
Definitely!!! IMO they are very detailed, but they normally tell you what to focus on. I haven't taken certain pre-reqs, and the books have taught me a lot.

I bought their newest edition. If I could do everything again, I wouldn't purchase their CARS or Biology books (Too much detail). But I may praise them after the MCAT lol. If you have any other specific questions shoot me a PM!