Designs for Vision micro 3.5 EF loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRJK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a first year plastics resident trying to decide between the DFV micro 3.5 EF or DFV 3.5EF loupes.

I like the thought of the lighter weight of the micro version, but haven't come across anyone using them, probably because they are quite new. Does anyone have any experience with the micro 3.5 EF loupes?

Members don't see this ad.

They certainly look ridiculous, if that helps your decision at all

They certainly look ridiculous, if that helps your decision at all
What did you go for? Quite a few people I know use the older 3.5EF so might go for those as a safe bet, but the thought of something lighter does appeal. Just can't find any reviews or feedback regarding the micro 3.5EF loupes

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you go for? Quite a few people I know use the older 3.5EF so might go for those as a safe bet, but the thought of something lighter does appeal. Just can't find any reviews or feedback regarding the micro 3.5EF loupes

the older DFV 3.5EF is very popular amongst our plastics surgeons, if being part of the club is important i would go with whatever your fellow residents have. I think in terms of optical quality DFV are not worth the cost. Zeiss loupes have the best optics out of all i've tried (DFV, keeler, orascoptic, heine), the downside is that they are flip-up and therefore slightly heavy. I went for Zeiss loupes because they were best for me YMMV

Never tried them. I've used by DVF 2.5x loupes ever since my PGY-2 year. Worked for me even through all the cardiac/congenital peds anastomoses.

Reactions: 1 user
2.5x probably works for most things, but 3.5 will be useful for a small number of indications, (micro, replant, eyelid ****, facial nerve ****?). Anyhow, the old school 3.5 EF is heavy and gives me a headache/sore neck after about 3 or 4 hours. If you can get em lighter, then get em lighter.

The truth is, most programs end up doing micro under the scope anyhow, so a 3.5 may be overkill. Take it from someone who's been replanting and digital nerve exploring/repairing since intern year. Our program is insanely micro-heavy.

I just don't get it. I've trialed 3.5x DFV loupes but just didn't seem to need them. It might help that I have really good vision. I seem to manage fine even when suturing with 8-0 Prolene and my 2.5x DFV loupes. When I was in the lab I used 9-0 Prolene.

For micro anastomoses you'd be using the microscope anyway.

I've got the micro 3.5x EF loupes and use them for cardiac. The lower weight compared to the 3.5x made a huge difference in terms of comfort, especially with longer cases.

Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts. I did eventually get the DFV micro 3.5EF loupes, and am loving them.

The standard 3.5EF I got to trial as the rep had a pair that fitted me quite well, but personally found them a bit heavy, and although the field of view was larger, I find the micro version absolutely fine for what I do, mostly hands stuff at the moment.

Compared to the 3.3 Zeiss loupes, I think the Zeiss definitely had better optics, not so apparent while operating, but definitely when looking at a book or gridlines, the DFV loupes aren't quite as sharp edge to edge like the Zeiss loupes. If only Zeiss made a light, TTL version of their loupes...

I don't know about the 3.5x, but just getting a new lighter style in 2.5x vs the old timey Buddy Holly look is a vast difference in weight. I got the Nike wrap around ones and they are easily half as heavy and provide full protection without the dumb side clip ons.

IDGAF what is "accepted" in terms of style. I will save my neck.

I have a steep prescription so I just have to use the buddy holly glasses.

DFV 2.5
DFV 3.5EF

I spoke with a rep who told me the micros have slightly less field.

For my neck, I set the focal distance farther away so I have to stand up straighter. The 3.5s are heavy though... im worried about nasal pressure sores.

I have the "Buddy Holly"-style of 2.5x DFV loupes but I'm used to them (I purchased them in 2007) and am used to my clunky old headlight, so I don't have any neck pain when I operate.

Reactions: 1 user