Desperate Times Plz tell me what you think

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahblahblap

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating a career change. What are my chances of getting into Medical school.

I am a Junior at the University of Michgan - Ann Arbor.
My cumulative is a 3.013

Grades
Biology (MCDB) C+
Biology (Ecology + Evolution) A- after taking it over D+ originally
Physics 1 Calc Based - C+
Physics 2 non-calc based - B+
Organic Chemistry - B
Organic Chemistry 2 - B
Physical Chemistry - Not completed but probably C
Biochemistry - Not completed but probably C
Calc I - B-
Calc II - B

Those are the main pre-med classes.

I have 1.5 years of research so far. One publication. Maybe two in January.
I am an RA.
I am apart of numerous student organization of which include Kgrams, a student association, and a student group that promotes health in underrepresented areas.
I have helped start 2 minor projects. (companies basically one deals with expert witness testimonies and one is a scheduler online)
I also occasionally volunteer with a doctor. He is one a home-care physician who makes house calls.

I am also economically disadvantaged. I grew up in low-income subsidized apartments. I was also apart of the national free lunch program at school as I couldn't afford lunch at school.

I hope to do very well on the MCAT. Hopefully a 34. iA.

Honestly what are my chances ?

What about for MPH ? and Dental School ?

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing pretty bad. I wouldn't count on that 34 if you're going to put the same effort into the MCAT.

You need to retake anything with a "C" grade if you hope to get into anywhere. Not a single A on the first attempt is pretty bad. You can't even argue that you're better at certain sciences as opposed to others.

Dental school is not necessarily "easier" to get into. MPH you'll probably get in somewhere.

You're doing pretty bad. I wouldn't count on that 34 if you're going to put the same effort into the MCAT.

You need to retake anything with a "C" grade if you hope to get into anywhere. Not a single A on the first attempt is pretty bad. You can't even argue that you're better at certain sciences as opposed to others.

Dental school is not necessarily "easier" to get into. MPH you'll probably get in somewhere.
What about Post-Bacc ? Do I have a chance of getting into a conditional MD program ?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about Post-Bacc ? Do I have a chance of getting into a conditional MD program ?
I don't know what a conditional MD is, but you'd be better off getting a high trend on your senior year and doing an SMP.

I don't know what a conditional MD is, but you'd be better off getting a high trend on your senior year and doing an SMP.
Something like this

http://www.wfubmc.edu/School/Diversity/Postbaccalaureate-Premedical-Program.htm

Wake Forest University and Wake Forest University School of Medicine have developed a program to facilitate the entry of students into medical school from populations underrepresented in medicine and/or disadvantaged. The curriculum focuses on science and communication skills.

Admission to the Wake Forest University School of Medicine following successful completion of the program with an overall (B) average, meeting all program requirements and successful application process

I don't know how "easy" or "hard" it is to get into these programs, but you could give them a try. This is my assumption entirely, but I believe programs like these are mostly interested in people that are both minorities and disadvantaged. If you meet both categories, you're probably competitive. Again, this is just my assumption. I could be totally wrong.

If you can get a 34 MCAT, you'd probably get an acceptance to a DO school as you are, without the special program, especially if you can start earning some high grades in a few upper-level Bio classes and Biochem (which, due to being a med school course, it will not look good to get your predicted C).

For a shot at MD, though, the Wake program looks good for getting you prepared to be competitive in med school, provided it isn't cost prohibitive and you can get into it.

For denatal school chances, check out SDN's pre-dental forum.

An MPH will not help you gain a med school acceptance since you already have research, and as it's not a hard science program.

I had three people I knew that went to U of M that had about a 3.0 +/-.2 and got into DO schools with about a 30 +/-2 MCAT

this was about 2 years ago.