1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Desperate!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by PooyaH, May 29, 2008.

1. PooyaH

Pre-Dental
    Hi everyone,

I am applying to dental schools this June. However, I have a complicated situation and I really need some advice. The only negative aspect of my application is my GPA which is 2.8 and I know it's not competitive at all. Frankly, my GPA does not represent who I am and what I'm capable of! I went to school full-time as well as working about 50 hours a week due to some difficulties in my life. Basically, I've supported myself in a foreign country since I was 16 and I've always been struggling emotionally, and financially. But dropping out of school never crossed my mind! I have included my situation and what I went through briefly in my statement letter. On the other hand, everything else on my application looks good including my volunteer hours, research, and dental experience. I would say they're definitely above average. I am taking the DAT in July and I'm confident enough that I'll do fine.

Realistically, what are my chances and should I apply this year or should I wait and bring my GPA higher? Unfortunately, money is an issue for me and I don't want to waste all the time, money, and effort into it knowing I absolutely have no chance of getting in. Please let me know what you think, I'm really frustrated and stressed out!!!

Thank you!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ucla2134

Pre-Dental

Hi!!
    Don't be desperate. I think if dentistry is what you really want, then you can have it. But you have to show it to them. I am afraid that 2.8 is on low side and the chance that you get in if you apply is really low even with high DAT scores.
    As many SDNers will tell you that you should considered master program. Get in a master program and good DAT scores will put you in the game. Further, your life circumstance should be explained in personal statement so they can understand how you struggle.
    My 2 cents.

4. UCSF2012

UCSF2012 Tooth Rehab Student

Rehab Sci Student
    If you're saying you're an international student, then I say good luck on your apps.

So if you make it to the interview and they ask you, "If a 2.8 doesn't represent you, then what does?" How do you respond? What indication would you give them otherwise and why would they believe you?

Other than that, you may want to take the DAT soon, because you need to know if you can even apply this cycle.

5. PooyaH

Pre-Dental
    Well I do have a green card. But I know what you mean! I know if you lack in an area you need to shine in other areas. But to be honest, I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far! I know I never had a chance of focusing on school like other students did! But trust me, going to school full-time and working at two jobs and getting 4 hours of asleep on average over 4 years can make things difficult. I had a choice of quitting school and wait for a few years and then go back to school, but I saw that as a waste!!! Also, I did have a 3.87 GPA the first year of college before things went south!!! So it's not that I'm not capable of studying it's just that unfortunately the way my life's been, I've never had enough time to spend on school.

6. UCSF2012

Rehab Sci Student
    So what reason - other than pity - do they have to accept you? Their accepting you would pull their numbers down by a good amount. What can you do for them or dentistry that would justify this? If you can't answer these questions, then you may not be getting in. (answer it to yourself, not to me or anyone else)

7. jigabodo

Dentist

Dentist
    If you have a green card, you will be treated just as a citizen would.

Anyways, you gotta really, really kill the DAT to stand out and have a legit shot. Apply to 15+ would also help too.

Good luck. :)

8. PooyaH

Pre-Dental
    I exactly understand what you're saying. So would you say I shall wait a year and bring my GPA higher?

9. Jaba

Jaba S.mutans

I know a few ppl with your stats that got in... maybe apply to a few, you might get lucky. Just do it early!

10. PooyaH

Pre-Dental
    I know!!! I need to ace the DAT. If not this year, definitely next year! I'll give it a shot...better than nothing! At least this way I know where I stand.

11. Bruinlove

Pre-Dental
    I think you need "at least" 22+. Just study super hard. If you don't get it, do a graduate program and get 4.0.

12. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    I can only speak from what I know and I don't know about your chances specifically of getting in. No one does. Regardless of your reasons (and many schools do hate to hear "excuses") you are not a very competitive applicant unfortunately just because of the GPA. The average of the enrollee class of 2011 stats was a 3.54 GPA. It doesn't hurt to apply if you get over 20 on your DAT if you have about a grand and a half to blow. If not, definitely get into a masters program and try when you have a decent GPA in there. Unfortunately undergrad GPA is primarily what they look at. That said, you still have a chance...it's just a matter of how long it will take, this year or 2 years down the road. Many others have been there so don't worry, just take it as it comes.

Check this out for what I mean:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527700

13. UCSF2012

Rehab Sci Student
    You need something to stand out amongst the masses. You can do this with a high DAT score or a higher GPA. Some have military experience. Some have significant research experience at a MAJOR institution. Some went to do the Peace Corp. Some married a current student. (okay, maybe not that last one) Etc.

You can apply to some schools this year, but I'd focus on the more expensive ones that accept everybody. Give it a shot, but I'd invest more effort into standing out tremendously in future cycles.

14. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist

Just in case some are new to this, when UCSF says to focus on those that accept everybody, everybody probably only = 15% of applicants. Overall acceptance to dental school is around 38% of applicants. Last I checked, that's pretty low. No school is a safety anymore. UCSF, I am sure you know this, but some may take your post literally.

15. jigabodo

Dentist

Dentist
    UCSF doesn't like international students. :(

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    Jigabodo, I know this is unrelated but man, you DID smash the DAT. How in the world did you do that?

18. jigabodo

Dentist

Dentist
    I thought I studied pretty hard and efficiently. Used multiple resources and dedicated a good amount of time into it without much distraction.

I think having the right mentality during the test day also helped a ton as well.

Anyways, that DAT score is pretty useless to me now seeing how I got in already. Now I just gotta focus on how to do well in dental school!

19. Thaxil

Thaxil Senior Member

Dentist
    You just have to kill the DAT and explain your self well in your personal statement. Most schools will outright reject your application after you summit your secondary application fee; but a few will review and may take intrest, if you present yourself well. You also need to shell out the bucks to apply to many schools. If you do get accepted it is likely a private school and will cost you.

If you struggled through out your academic history - no acceptance
    If you showed improving tread, it may be possible

I was accepted in 2004 w/ 2.7 GPA, 24 all sci and 18 RC.