Academic Dishonesty — in desperate need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kabd

Reaction score
Currently, I am a second year undergraduate majoring in bioengineering. I am in a bit of a predicament and am in need of advice. I made a stupid mistake and received a grade of ‘XF’ in organic chem 2 in the summer prior to my second year. I had a 4.0 my first year, and the academic infraction counted towards my GPA as an F. Currently my GPA is sitting at a 3.7, however, aside from the GPA my main concern is how this ‘XF’ will affect me. I am able to have the ‘X’ expunged, leaving the ‘F’ on my transcript, however, when applying it is likely that I will report the infraction although it is no longer on record (schools expect it to be reported regardless of whether or not there is documentation to substantiate it), but I am also technically able to go through the process without reporting it. Since this incident occurred, I have lost all hope in terms of applying to dental school. I understand I have 3 more years of coursework to overshadow it, but it will forever haunt me as I’m sure a large majority of applicants won’t have an infraction at all. Prior to this I have been a part of 2 publications, co-author of one and first-author of another, in the field of nanotechnology. I currently do research at the UM School of Dentistry, working on nanoparticle applications for therapeutic drug delivery. I also have many shadowing hours at a private practice, along with volunteering hours for multiple organizations in my local area. I am only a second year right now, but I feel as though I have been set back tremendously and I am seeking advice from anyone on how I should navigate my current situation and what my stance is for dental schools when I apply in future.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, I am a second year undergraduate majoring in bioengineering. I am in a bit of a predicament and am in need of advice. I made a stupid mistake and received a grade of ‘XF’ in organic chem 2 in the summer prior to my second year. I had a 4.0 my first year, and the academic infraction counted towards my GPA as an F. Currently my GPA is sitting at a 3.7, however, aside from the GPA my main concern is how this ‘XF’ will affect me. I am able to have the ‘X’ expunged, leaving the ‘F’ on my transcript, however, when applying it is likely that I will report the infraction although it is no longer on record (schools expect it to be reported regardless of whether or not there is documentation to substantiate it), but I am also technically able to go through the process without reporting it. Since this incident occurred, I have lost all hope in terms of applying to dental school. I understand I have 3 more years of coursework to overshadow it, but it will forever haunt me as I’m sure a large majority of applicants won’t have an infraction at all. Prior to this I have been a part of 2 publications, co-author of one and first-author of another, in the field of nanotechnology. I currently do research at the UM School of Dentistry, working on nanoparticle applications for therapeutic drug delivery. I also have many shadowing hours at a private practice, along with volunteering hours for multiple organizations in my local area. I am only a second year right now, but I feel as though I have been set back tremendously and I am seeking advice from anyone on how I should navigate my current situation and what my stance is for dental schools when I apply in future.

Thanks
So it sounds like this was just a few months ago. What did you do? I think there are various ways this could go based on what you actually did/what happened.

Nevertheless, you're going to want to put many years between this and might consider taking a gap year (i.e. applying after you graduate, vs. after junior year, which is the "traditional" path) to put more time between this and your application and to show that the student you were a few months ago is no longer the student you will (hopefully) be at the time of application. Also you're going to need to retake that and AADSAS doesn't do grade replacement so just keep that in mind.

Also all your stuff about not needing to report it because it's no longer on your record but that you will likely report it - just report it. Own up to it and show how you've grown when you apply. Definitely don't try to hide it or not mention it, because if this is found out, your acceptance(s) may be revoked or you might be dismissed (worst case, but don't risk it). You don't know what is on your record/not on it, and you don't know who talk behind closed doors.

tl;dr: What did you do; put as much time between it and your app as you can; own up and show how you've changed

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input. I most definitely will report it, I can’t see myself pursuing a profession where others entrust me with their own health when I can’t even hold myself accountable. I also retook the course almost immediately in the second summer term and received an A-.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean it all depends on what the infraction was. Of course academic infractions are never good but there are people in admissions that understand we are human beings, and if you’re a younger person then many mistakes can be attributed to lack of experience.

Regardless, if dental schools expect you to report it, you do report it. The vast majority of the time they won’t disregard you over the IA, what is the most important part though is the essay where you explain what happened. Be straightforward and talk about what you learned from it. Also write about what you’ve changed about yourself (mindset, study habits, etc) to prevent this from being an issue moving forward.

And I say this to everyone regardless of whether or not they have an IA, but do have a plan B. Personally I’m a premed with a minor IA according to SDN advisors but I still have accelerated nursing as a backup plan, because med school is that competitive.

That XF is a blessing. You just don't know it yet.
Forget Dentistry! It is a a profession going to it's death bed.
Go into nanotechnology! That is the future! There will be lots of money to be made in that new and exciting world.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.