• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

kkolwath

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
I am 36 years old and I was recently in a post bacc program but at the end I received a D in Anatomy. I had just come back from burying my father and failed the first lab practical, I was solid during the rest of the semester, but that first grade brought my average down to a 67%. I appealed my decision to the Dean of Student Affairs, but she said that I should look at other careers because in her opinion I can't handle the demands of medical school. Which is a load of bull, dang I just buried my father. I have wanted to be a physician all my life and I feel like my dream is slipping away. I have both a BS in Biology and a MS in Physiology, however my mcat scores suck and I have taken it more than 2X. I recently went to a health advisor and he suggested that I get tested for a reading disorder. My question is do anyone know of any postbaccs that I may qualify for or have I blown my chance to become a doctor.

P.S. Carribean is out of the question, my mom is not in the best of health and I need to stay in the states.

DrSumdae

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Try searching at the AAMC website. Sorry about your father :(

Just a thought: have you thought about becoming a physician assistant? are your MCAT scores good enough for DO schools?

Heinz57

10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am 36 years old and I was recently in a post bacc program but at the end I received a D in Anatomy. I had just come back from burying my father and failed the first lab practical, I was solid during the rest of the semester, but that first grade brought my average down to a 67%. I appealed my decision to the Dean of Student Affairs, but she said that I should look at other careers because in her opinion I can't handle the demands of medical school. Which is a load of bull, dang I just buried my father. I have wanted to be a physician all my life and I feel like my dream is slipping away. I have both a BS in Biology and a MS in Physiology, however my mcat scores suck and I have taken it more than 2X. I recently went to a health advisor and he suggested that I get tested for a reading disorder. My question is do anyone know of any postbaccs that I may qualify for or have I blown my chance to become a doctor.

P.S. Carribean is out of the question, my mom is not in the best of health and I need to stay in the states.

Wow - so sorry about your Dad. Life still happens despite school stress... Can't you retake the course? I'd retake the course, do well, take some serious study time and a Kaplan course for the MCAT, do well, and apply to med school. There will be chances to explain a D grade, and your reason is a good one. Why did your health advisor tell you to get tested for a reading disorder? I agree with DrSumdae, look at DO schools, too. Good luck! :luck:

About the Ads

blackadder

my old office view
10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
i agree with the above posters. if this D is the only blemish on an otherwise good transcript, I think your (totally legit) explanation will take care of things. be well and best of luck.

Inkabellous

10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Apply and see what happens. You have nothing to lose. If the rest of your application is solid, one D should not kill your chances.

lawnboy313

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Gamehendge
Status (Visible)
Sorry about your Dad. Was wondering--why didn't you withdraw from the class after your first lab practical? If that first test nixed your entire grade for the class, you would have known you were going to get a poor grade plenty in advance and could have withdrawn from the class before the grade was put on your record. I'm surprised your post-bacc advisors didn't suggest something like that.

Also, without knowing your actual GPA or MCAT(s), its hard to tell what your actual chances are...want to provide more details?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.