Determined even with VERY LOW GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardio8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated last summer and immediately got a full time job at a Bank. My GPA is not fantastic. Cumulative GPA is about a 3.0-3.1 and my science GPA is roughly a 2.9.

I am trying to find clinical volunteer activities that I can do around my work schedule which is 8-5, but surprisingly in this city they want volunteers in the exact hours I cannot do.
As for physician shawdowing, I have a great opportunity which I may consider in about 6 months. Shawdowing a cardiologist in PR full-time. He is a family friend, and this is actually the branch of medicine I would like to pursue. Reason I am not jumping on this immediately is because I would be moving to PR and not have income. I am trying to pay off all my debt before I consider this move.
Considering my situation, I know I have to shine in volunteer experience and MCAT score to have a fighting chance in being accepted. How many hours should I set myself as a goal to reach in the next year and a half/two years?

I have no research experience and I am not sure how to find opportunities in this since I am in a different city than my graduating university. Any suggestions?

Currently working full time and would continue until I receive an acceptance to a medical school (MD or DO) unless another opportunity arises. I am not particular as to which school accepts me since I know my GPA is extremely week. I know I want to pursue medicine and although it has taken a long time to finally realize what I want to do, I know I will excell in which ever school gives me that opportunity.

I am currently studying for the MCAT and plan on taking it sometime early next year. I am planning on applying for matriculation in 2014. I am also missing Orgo I and II which I know if I take will help improve my science GPA. Should I retake my Bio I and II and Chem's? I took them a while ago and got B's and C's on them which is no good, but I am not sure if retaking them would actually improve my application or hurt it.
I am setting my goal for atleast a 33 on my MCAT. Is this good enough with such a weak GPA?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!:D Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can do it! Just try to find ways to increase that GPA!!

Seems like you're missing a lot of science classes which is perfect.

Any class you have that is higher than a B, do not bother to retake. Since Orgo I/II is still up for grabs, focus on those and other higher level sciences (Biochem may be out but try classes like Microbiology, Immunology, Pathogens, Anatomy and Physio etc) And make As. You'd be surprised how getting a lot of A's in those sciences will help you out.

I suggest for you to have a great shot at MD, focus one year (including summer) on those upper level science classes, retake any classes B- or below (for back up as a DO/boosting GPA for MD) and start volunteering as much as you can (don't go out weekends or watch football, just have your head in books, volunteering, shadowing and maybe clinical hours if possible). 30+ credits of 4.0's will do wonders. Around January, look into applying a Special Masters Program (You'll need to rock the MCAT, at least 25+, but i suggest a 30+ for applications). Around the same time, start filling out your personal statement, getting your letters of recommendations in and writing up everything you will need for both AMCAS and AACOMAS. Then be ready to send in everything the minute those applications open June 1st.

If you don't get in anywhere, the SMP program will be a good back up for you to hold you over during your gap year. Focus on higher MCATs and getting straight A's is a MUST. if you fall below 3.75 during the SMP, you're pretty much screwed, so just a fair warning to you there.

If you don't want to chance the SMP, then use AACOMAs (DO) option for grade replacement and in a year or two of post-bacc, you should have the grades, letters and volunteering you'll need to get into a school.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't kid yourself thinking that awesome volunteer work will make up for the grades. If I were you, I'd pour all my time into retakes and what not to pump that gpa.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Don't kid yourself thinking that awesome volunteer work will make up for the grades. If I were you, I'd pour all my time into retakes and what not to pump that gpa.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Agree with this. Shadowing, volunteering and other ECs are a lot easier to make up for than a low GPA. Start getting nothing but As now, and worry about the extras when you have a GPA and MCAT that makes schools want you. :luck:

Your priority list.

1)MCAT
2)GPA
3)GPA
4)volunteering/shadowing

Take a couple of night classes if possible to get your GPA up. You should def aim for at least a 33 on MCAT.

I graduated last summer and immediately got a full time job at a Bank. My GPA is not fantastic. Cumulative GPA is about a 3.0-3.1 and my science GPA is roughly a 2.9.

I am trying to find clinical volunteer activities that I can do around my work schedule which is 8-5, but surprisingly in this city they want volunteers in the exact hours I cannot do.
As for physician shawdowing, I have a great opportunity which I may consider in about 6 months. Shawdowing a cardiologist in PR full-time. He is a family friend, and this is actually the branch of medicine I would like to pursue. Reason I am not jumping on this immediately is because I would be moving to PR and not have income. I am trying to pay off all my debt before I consider this move.
Considering my situation, I know I have to shine in volunteer experience and MCAT score to have a fighting chance in being accepted. How many hours should I set myself as a goal to reach in the next year and a half/two years?

I have no research experience and I am not sure how to find opportunities in this since I am in a different city than my graduating university. Any suggestions?

Currently working full time and would continue until I receive an acceptance to a medical school (MD or DO) unless another opportunity arises. I am not particular as to which school accepts me since I know my GPA is extremely week. I know I want to pursue medicine and although it has taken a long time to finally realize what I want to do, I know I will excell in which ever school gives me that opportunity.

I am currently studying for the MCAT and plan on taking it sometime early next year. I am planning on applying for matriculation in 2014. I am also missing Orgo I and II which I know if I take will help improve my science GPA. Should I retake my Bio I and II and Chem's? I took them a while ago and got B's and C's on them which is no good, but I am not sure if retaking them would actually improve my application or hurt it.
I am setting my goal for atleast a 33 on my MCAT. Is this good enough with such a weak GPA?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!:D Thanks!

1) Get that GPA up first -- your sGPA really needs to be at least a 3.1 or so for DO programs (3.4+ for MD) to be given serious consideration
2) Score well on the MCAT (34+ for MD, 30+ for DO given your academic weakness in the past and that's assuming you get your GPA up into that marginally competitive range)
3) Get your ECs in line -- this is your LAST priority until your sGPA is above the aforementioned minimal ranges (depending upon your goals)
4) Apply and conquer!

Thank you all for your responses!!

I am working 8-5 now and I am actually accepted into FSU but they don't have any biology classes after 5pm, so my only choice is the community college in town. I have looked and they do offer classes after 5 which is perfect. I have taken some upper division science classes, but there are a few that I know I can add to improve my GPA.

I have looked into SMP and there is a school in Florida, but wow!!!! it's around 30k a year!!! That is crazy, so I think I would consider going out of state. I don't know if the tuition would be different then what they have on the websites since I would be out of state. I would like to do a SMP that is 1 year, mainly because I probably will not be able to enroll (if accepted) until 2014 and I am already 24. Time is surely ticking.

I have attached my unofficial transcript to whoever is brave enough to scroll through them and see what I have and how to go from here...I know there are some people that would say I am crazy in trying to pursue medical school with my grades, but like I originally said, I am determined!

Edit: Attachment deleted

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses!!

I am working 8-5 now and I am actually accepted into FSU but they don't have any biology classes after 5pm, so my only choice is the community college in town. I have looked and they do offer classes after 5 which is perfect. I have taken some upper division science classes, but there are a few that I know I can add to improve my GPA.

I have looked into SMP and there is a school in Florida, but wow!!!! it's around 30k a year!!! That is crazy, so I think I would consider going out of state. I don't know if the tuition would be different then what they have on the websites since I would be out of state. I would like to do a SMP that is 1 year, mainly because I probably will not be able to enroll (if accepted) until 2014 and I am already 24. Time is surely ticking.

I have attached my unofficial transcript to whoever is brave enough to scroll through them and see what I have and how to go from here...I know there are some people that would say I am crazy in trying to pursue medical school with my grades, but like I originally said, I am determined!

View attachment 21337

I would not take the Bio classes at a Community College, that would put you at a disadvantage (especially since you got accepted into a 4-year institution). I highly suggest somehow fitting it into your schedule or work something out (maybe take it next year).

I also dissuade you from continuing full time (or even part time) and you should take 15 credits of sciences. Also, the GPA is too low to be saved by extra curriculars. That Science GPA NEEDs to be above a 3.0 (and in a 3.2+ range for a DO school, 3.4+ for MD).

Unluckily, Florida has some of the more competitive medical schools to gain entrance thanks to the large number of students (especially from South Florida) applying into their MD programs (State schools such as FSU, USF and UF have a 3.8 sciGPA/32 average). If you want to compete on that level I suggest SMP.

Looks like quiting my job would be the best choice for my future....I just wouldn't know what to do about my bills. I am going to go sometime this week (have to ask for a day off from work) to FSU and sit down with an advisor. Try to figure out exactly what and how I would be able to take all these science classes.

Would taking any of my undergard science classes such as bio and chems over if I didn't receive a B or better be advised? I actually don't mind taking them over simply because it has been so long since I took these clases. It would be a great refresher.

It won't hurt and it will prepare you more for the MCAT. I just say don't bother since you could focus on Higher Level classes and other pre-reqs you're missing.

Higher level sciences with A's would look a lot better than intro classes you already passed with a B with A's. Also, advisors are notorious for discouragement, so be wary of that. I suggest DO for you, With grade replacement you're looking at a much shorter path than SMP. I only suggest SMP if you're absolutely passionate about MD because the last thing you want to do is perform poorly and be in debt 30+k for one year with an utterly useless degree.

Best of luck.

You are right, at least with my experience with advisors, they are so discouraging. It's pretty sad that people that are supposed to be there to help you and provide at least some form of motivation make you feel like you are wasting your time.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I truly appreciate it!

After taking a look at your transcript, DO is going to be your only shot.

Your cumulative GPA right now (according to the transcript) is 2.98 with 134 credits. This is misleading because AMCAS (MD school application service) will count the 2Fs and 1D that you replaced with grade forgiveness, because there is no grade forgiveness with AMCAS. Your GPA will then be 2.81 with 143 credits. This will be incredibly hard to bring to a level where you might have a chance at MD. For instance, a 3.2 is typically the bottom of the barrel for MD consideration (READ: anything below this will almost guarantee you'll be automatically rejected, but even with a 3.2 your chances are awful). To get a 3.2 with your current stats you would need 70 more hours at 4.0. To get to a 3.3 you would need 100 credits at 4.0. You would need 140 credits at 4.0 to get to a 3.4 (which is still considered "low"). Even if you accomplished a 3.4, you would likely still be looked at negatively because of your many many Ws, Cs, Ds, and Fs in the past.

DO schools do allow grade replacement, which makes your job a little easier. With your current 2.98 (in the eyes of AACOMAS only) if you replace that D+ with an A your GPA goes to 3.04. Replace another grade say your D, with an A and your gpa is 3.11. Within one or two semesters of only retaking classes you did below B-, you will have a respectable AACOMAS GPA.

Whether or not you can actually achieve those As is another story, I saw many courses where you repeated and still got a D or F, or repeated and still withdrew. If there was some reason that it happened then, but wont happen again, then you should go for it. If you are honest with yourself and you think you can't replace all those grades with something decent, you will be out of luck.

This is what the advisors should tell you, but they are so dang sick of hearing this sort of scenario that they've stopped helping those that can use good advice. Your 2.98 is something you can work with for DO, if you do what I said earlier with the retakes AND also get over a 25 on the MCAT (the higher the better). Don't think for a second that either accomplishment will be easy, or something you can bang out in a year. If you do slow and do it right, you still have a chance; if you try to rush and bite off more than you can chew, you're going to have a bad time.

Great advice, but remember some Low Tier medical schools may be forgiving and focus more on the last 2 - 4 semesters as long as you have a 3.2. Also if you pull a high MCAT (34+) with a year or two of 4.0's with hard science classes, they may at least grant you an interview.

But its a long, long shot. DO would make your life easier and in half the time. As Barley described it, you're looking at repeating undergrad all over again.

Your priority list.

1)MCAT
2)GPA
3)GPA
4)volunteering/shadowing

Take a couple of night classes if possible to get your GPA up. You should def aim for at least a 33 on MCAT.

1)MCAT
2)GPA
3)GPA
4)GPA
5)GPA
6) volunteer/shadowing.

Concur STRONGLY with this post. Even if you make straight As, it's unlikely that your GPA will get up to the 3.4+ (not 3.2) needed for the low tier schools (which also assumes you can pull a 30+ on the MCAT).

Do schools will be OK if you can take some of your re-takes and required courses at CCs, but I recommend that you don't do it one class/year. You want to show us that you can handle a heavy course load.

I recommend working and saving your money, and then trying an SMP or post-bac program.

Oh, and for ECs, try local hospice, clinic, or nursing homes. Think outside the box!...not everything has to be in a hopspital.

After taking a look at your transcript, DO is going to be your only shot.

Your cumulative GPA right now (according to the transcript) is 2.98 with 134 credits. This is misleading because AMCAS (MD school application service) will count the 2Fs and 1D that you replaced with grade forgiveness, because there is no grade forgiveness with AMCAS. Your GPA will then be 2.81 with 143 credits. This will be incredibly hard to bring to a level where you might have a chance at MD. For instance, a 3.2 is typically the bottom of the barrel for MD consideration (READ: anything below this will almost guarantee you'll be automatically rejected, but even with a 3.2 your chances are awful). To get a 3.2 with your current stats you would need 70 more hours at 4.0. To get to a 3.3 you would need 100 credits at 4.0. You would need 140 credits at 4.0 to get to a 3.4 (which is still considered "low"). Even if you accomplished a 3.4, you would likely still be looked at negatively because of your many many Ws, Cs, Ds, and Fs in the past.

DO schools do allow grade replacement, which makes your job a little easier. With your current 2.98 (in the eyes of AACOMAS only) if you replace that D+ with an A your GPA goes to 3.04. Replace another grade say your D, with an A and your gpa is 3.11. Within one or two semesters of only retaking classes you did below B-, you will have a respectable AACOMAS GPA.

Whether or not you can actually achieve those As is another story, I saw many courses where you repeated and still got a D or F, or repeated and still withdrew. If there was some reason that it happened then, but wont happen again, then you should go for it. If you are honest with yourself and you think you can't replace all those grades with something decent, you will be out of luck.

This is what the advisors should tell you, but they are so dang sick of hearing this sort of scenario that they've stopped helping those that can use good advice. Your 2.98 is something you can work with for DO, if you do what I said earlier with the retakes AND also get over a 25 on the MCAT (the higher the better). Don't think for a second that either accomplishment will be easy, or something you can bang out in a year. If you do slow and do it right, you still have a chance; if you try to rush and bite off more than you can chew, you're going to have a bad time.