Determining # of residency apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChaseD702

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as an IMG i have heard many classmates and colleagues state they applied to several HUNDRED residency spots. I assume they were exaggerating, but some seemed dead serious. My calculations, this would be more expensive then the tuition payments!

How would one determine a reasonable amount of applications if concentrating on non-competitive spots (low step 1 score)? Whats the best advice if not a lot of funds to work with?

Members don't see this ad.

So, as an IMG i have heard many classmates and colleagues state they applied to several HUNDRED residency spots. I assume they were exaggerating, but some seemed dead serious. My calculations, this would be more expensive then the tuition payments!

How would one determine a reasonable amount of applications if concentrating on non-competitive spots (low step 1 score)? Whats the best advice if not a lot of funds to work with?

More money spent now to maximize your chances saves you from having repeat cycles in the future if you don't match.

Reactions: 5 users
More money spent now to maximize your chances saves you from having repeat cycles in the future if you don't match.

Doesn’t it come to $30/app (after the first handful)? So 100 apps is +/- $3000? Thousands of apps is certainly not doable. I can barely make tuition payments as is, not sure how to go about this process.

Doesn’t it come to $30/app (after the first handful)? So 100 apps is +/- $3000? Thousands of apps is certainly not doable. I can barely make tuition payments as is, not sure how to go about this process.

You said in another post that you have a low step one score. You're also an IMG. You should maximize your chances to match the first time. That may mean applying to 200 spots. It'd be cheaper than not having a job for a year and reapplying.

Reactions: 2 users
You said in another post that you have a low step one score. You're also an IMG. You should maximize your chances to match the first time. That may mean applying to 200 spots. It'd be cheaper than not having a job for a year and reapplying never getting a residency position and not being able to practice medicine in the US.
FTFY.

Seriously. You (OP) have 1 shot at this. You need to go in with all guns blazing. That means figuring out how to pay for the applications/interviews you need to ensure that you match.

Look into residency/relocation loans (assuming you're a US citizen). Credit cards. Family. Whatever it takes.

Reactions: 4 users
I know you said low step 1 and non competitive specialties. Which specialties are you referring to because there have been some US students that have failed to match FM and IM. Don't take anything for granted when it comes down to what people consider non-competitive. You apply with what you can afford, but from the people I spoke w/ psych, they literally applied to all of the programs and some only got 3-4 interviews.

Study hard for step 2 and pass both CK and CS first. If you have a failure on either of those, then depending on how bad your step 1 score was you might just give up--unless there's something amazing in your application like an LOR from A Nobel laureate, you won't match no matter what you do in that situation as there is no shortage of IMGs with failures and then borderline scores for programs to choose from if they want one for some reason.

If you do pass those tests, then yes, you almost certainly need to apply to several hundred programs.

Reactions: 1 user