Determining s character of an atom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anondukie

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
While determining the s-character of an atom in a molecule, should I only pay attention to the hybridized orbitals? For example, in the following question, I knew that two orbitals were sp hybridized (and should have 50% s character) but I also accounted for the two unhybridized p-orbitals because the question asked for the s-character of the atom in its entirety. How would you answer the question?

“The s character of the carbon atom in HCN is:"

A) 25% s and 75% p.
B) 50% s and 50% p.
C) 33% s and 67% p.
D) 75% s and 25% p.

I'm attaching the Lewis Structure to make it more convenient. Thanks!
 
Thanks guys! Aldol, I was doing weird averages where I ended up with more than 1 s and 3 p orbitals (now that I think about it). You're absolutely right!