Determining Strength of program in Sub-specialty placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cards21aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how the current 4th years or interns are going (went) about figuring this sort of thing out during the process of looking into different IM programs. I have looked through some program sites that show where the recent grads of the medicine program went, but it doesn't specify how many people applied into a sub-specialty.

I guess the question is really how to assess a program's relative strength/weakness when it comes to placing their residents in fellowship. I imagine that much of this information can be teased out during the interview process, but can anyone offer some thoughts on what can be done before submitting ERAS? Thx!!

Members don't see this ad.

ive actually been asking at the programs how many ppl didnt match and in what subspecialities.

ive actually been asking at the programs how many ppl didnt match and in what subspecialities.

another thing to ask is if the specialties give preference to grads from their own IM program. you have the best shot at landing a fellowship in your own IM department (assuming you impress people and not repulse them).

It will honestly be a little hard to find out this info.
I think the programs that are more proud of their fellowship placements tend to trumpet that, and to post them on their web sites, but that's just a generalization.
I think asking how many people didn't match in GI and cards (or your desired specialty) would be helpful. You may want to ask this to a current upper level resident, and not the PD, when you are interviewing.