Surg sub elective -> applying IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Darrow O'Lykos

Hail Libertas! - PGY-0
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I'm a OMS2 still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I am interested in some of the surgical fields, as well as some of the IM subspecialties. I've been stacking up surgical research in preparation for potentially applying to ortho since I know it's more important for that route, but I may ultimately end up deciding to apply IM.

My school allows us 2 electives during 3rd year (1 fall, 1 spring). If I end up applying solely to IM in hopes of landing a ~mid-tier academic IM, is it going to be a red flag to PDs if I have a lot of surgical stuff in my app? Or can a spring elective in my field of interest + an appropriate PS and reflective LORs dissuade any notion that I'm someone applying to a surgical field and IM as a backup?

Thanks in advance.