Detroit Mercy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurodent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who going to Detroit Mercy?
Can anyone provide some information on the overall admissions process there... update...interviews...class filled or not... etc...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a DS2 at UDM.

I'm not an expert on the admissions process but I can tell you how it worked for me.

I took my DAT in Nov '01, I sent out my applications in Dec '01. I was contacted by UDM in Jan '02 requesting Letters of Rec. a picture and the application fee. After this they started sending a monthly update as to what information they had and what information they still needed. I had my interview on Feb 18, 2002 and received an email from the director of admissions on Feb 19 stating that my acceptance letter was on the way but that she wanted to let me know right away (I had expressed concern about when I would know in the interview). I'm sure this quick turn around is fairly atypical.

One of my classmates had been on the waitlist and was accepted the first day of our orientation. In fact he had just dropped his girlfriend off for our orientation and was still in the parking lot when the dean called him. He was the only person at orientation to be dressed in jeans and a t-shirt.

The interview itself is low stress. I was interviewed by an upper level clinical instructer but I know that some of the first year didactic instructers also do interviews. The interview was conducted in the cafeteria, it lasted about 30-45 minutes it was more of a discussion than a formal interview. In fact he didn't even bring up my most embarassing stat; I did and he completely glossed over it. For the record, I failed Ochem II but took it again the next semester with a different professor and got an A-.

I have no idea if the class is filled or not but here is the person who would know. You can reach Karen LaRose-Neil (Director of Admissions) at (313) 494-6650 or [email protected] . She is easier to get in contact with through email.

I hope this has answered your questions. If you have more feel free to ask.

Dan Roberts
DS2
University of Detroit-Mercy

Thank you very much, you were very helpfull. I am waiting to hear from UDM, I would really like to go there. I have been receiving the monthly updates, and they required one more letter from a science Prof, which I managed to send to them 2 weeks ago.
However, they sent me a letter stating that my aplication was inactivated because they had not received the final letter. I emailed Ms laRose-Neil, assuring her that the letter is on its way and to please reactivate my application, and that I was still very interested in attending UDM. I am still waiting to hear from her.
I hope they reactivate my application and offer me an interview.

I would welcome any advice.
Thanks