Device auto-lock setting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potcake76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
After how many minutes of inactivity do the devices (eg, iPads) you use in the facility auto-lock? What do you consider a reasonable amount of time? 3 minutes? 10 minutes? Why?

Members don't see this ad.

I can go hours without touching our Epic Tangent monitors during an OR case and they don’t lock. It locks when I logout.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I can go hours without touching our Epic Tangent monitors during an OR case and they don’t lock. It locks when I logout.
Are you talking about devices that are owned by or connected to the facility? I should have clarified that I’m talking only about portable devices, such as iPads.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The exact amount of time so that when I finally come back to it and it’s off. 1 second longer than that

This is a weird homework assignment.
I’m sorry lol. I’m just trying to figure out what the standard is at other shops. Our iPads (which are only used in the OR) were recently set to auto-lock after 3 minutes and there’s been quite a lot of pushback in the name of patient safety. Some of our providers are suggesting that the time should be extended to 10 minutes. We just want to balance patient concerns with HIPAA concerns.

• Wow
I’m sorry lol. I’m just trying to figure out what the standard is at other shops. Our iPads (which are only used in the OR) were recently set to auto-lock after 3 minutes and there’s been quite a lot of pushback in the name of patient safety. Some of our providers are suggesting that the time should be extended to 10 minutes. We just want to balance patient concerns with HIPAA concerns.
What are these iPads used for in the OR? Is it the EMR that is used for charting?

What are these iPads used for in the OR? Is it the EMR that is used for charting?
Yes, the iPads are used solely for charting/documenting purposes by anesthesiologists in the OR.

Are you talking about devices that are owned by or connected to the facility? I should have clarified that I’m talking only about portable devices, such as iPads.

Yes. Hospital owned, attached to the anesthesia machine, and large (prob 22”).

Even 10min would be super annoying.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, the iPads are used solely for charting/documenting purposes by anesthesiologists in the OR.
If it is the anesthesia chart, then it shouldn't lock unless someone explicitly logs out or badges out (whatever your login technique is). Imagine sitting in a 12h case and having to log back into your computer or iPad every 3 minutes because you left it alone too long? Just imagine. It will undoubtedly distract from patient care. Last thing one needs is to have to keep logging into a computer. Even our pyxis will stay logged in for 1h without touching it.

Our computers in the OR that we use for our EMR and anesthesia record don't time out or log you out. They stay open until we badge out of them or try to badge into another at a different location. This is different from computers outside the OR. Those time out within 5-10 minutes of inactivity.

Reactions: 3 users
EPIC logs us out automatically in 15 min? at my shop and even that is very annoying. Definitely not 3 minutes.

Ours don't auto lock. Can you tell the hospital that you'll promise to log out when not in use for HIPAA concerns? Lol

Reactions: 1 users