DGSOM vs Pitt vs Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gratitude3333

Reaction score
Hi guys, so as the cycle closes out these are my top three choices. I have been accepted at the DGSOM, and will hear from Pitt and Sinai soon. I also have been accepted at UIowa and Case but am almost positive I would attend the DGSOM over both of these, pending any amazing financial aid offers. Which school will give me the best chances of a job in academic medicine, specializing in either psych or neuro? I love basic science research and am contemplating switching to MD / PHD. My ideal job would be 50/50 split of clinical care and basic science research regarding the mechanisms and biological substrates of mood disorders. I know that MD / PHD is typically 80 / 20 research and clinic. I am not looking to run my own lab but would rather work in an established lab on my own project.

UCLA:
(+) closest to my family in the bay area
(+) weather (have seasonal affective disorder)
(+) gives me connections for staying in CA for residency if I decide that is important to me
(+) big class, allow me to meet a lot of people
(+) best ranked out of the three schools
(+) in-state tuition (altho that doesn't mean much given the high COL in LA... haha)
(-) would have to apply like a normal applicant to their MSTP program, obviously no guarantees I will get in

Pitt:
(+) very strong biological research in psych. my dream mentor works there
(+) am interviewing for the PSTP program, which gives students priority access to research mentors / has great publication output statistics
(+) if I want MD PHD and am in the PSTP program, was told by the dean that it is very easy to switch into. would be different from applying internally to MD PHD at any other MD school, which of course would be very competitive.
(-) no connections to anyone in PA
(-) weather

Sinai:
(+) close to my partner of two years, who will most likely be an M1 in NYC after this cycle
(-) not a big fan of NY personally

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like UCLA would make you happiest. Great weather + amazing opportunities. I think you could also do a 50/50 split without a PhD. I'm hoping to have a similar time split.

Full disclosure I'm planning to matriculate to UCLA in the fall.

All three schools are very strong in the neurosciences and will be able to get you to academic neuro or psych with ease. They are all prominent and prestigious schools on approximately the same level (maybe the slightest edge to UCLA, but there will also be some regional bias involved) and you shouldn't really let that factor into your decision at this point. As the above poster said, it is totally not necessary to do a PhD in order to be a physician scientist. It helps for certain situations, but not having a PhD does not lock you out. There are options like doing an MS in a research field that will give you the skills you need to be a well-equipped and productive researcher, especially since you don't see yourself running your own lab.

At any of these schools, you'll have the namebrand and academic firepower to do anything you want. The question now becomes where will you fit in the best and where will you be happiest? If you maximize your own happiness and well being, you'll be the most successful that you can be. That (and finances) are how you should go about making your decision.

Best of luck, I'm sure you will do well wherever you choose to matriculate

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Just wondering, approximately when did you receive your acceptance from DGSOM?

Congratulations! Just wondering, approximately when did you receive your acceptance from DGSOM?

Hey there! Accepted on 12/4, interviewed 9/25. OOS but connection to CA (went there for hs), LizzyM 75. Def get you asking this bc it felt like it took forever to hear back. Good luck, wishing you some (good) news soon!

Reactions: 1 user