Keck USC vs. DGSOM UCLA (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dope.uh.mean

Reaction score
Trojans or Bruins?? I'm super grateful for the opportunity to consider either schools, though I must seriously note that a waitlist (at UCLA) is not a guaranteed acceptance. I just want to be fully prepared for if the time comes (and I hear that UCLA has pretty good waitlist movement, so fingers crossed!). I am a CA resident, so staying in LA has been the dream scenario from the get-go!

Keck USC
Pros:
  • Super close to home (~15 min drive), and closer to SGV where the better (and cheaper) food is at ;)
  • Clinical experiences at LA General, CHLA, and Keck Medicine
  • T30 ranking
  • Great cancer center with cutting edge research (thinking about oncology)
  • P/F 18-month preclinical phase
  • Seems to have a very friendly student body with extremely faculty/admin (I love Dean Arias)
Cons:
  • Tuition (~72k/year); though I have not heard anything about fin aid or scholarships yet, so assuming full sticker price; but would probably live at home (financial pro, but mental health maybe con? idk, still thinking about whether or not to live at home)

DGSOM UCLA (WL)
Pros:
  • T20 ranking
  • P/F all four years
  • 1 year preclinical, 1 year clerkship, 1 year discovery (where you can also get a dual degree, thinking about MBA, MPP, or MSCR). I still don't know how to feel about 1 year preclinical and the fact that I believe STEP 1 is taking with STEP 2 after clerkship phase. Can someone please elaborate on this?
  • Also has a great cancer center and cutting-edge research
  • The students there seemed super chill and made it basically look like med school at UCLA was so easy
  • Lower tuition (~52k/year)
Cons:
  • High cost of living, especially since I must move out.

Summary: Should I fully commit to USC or still hold out hope on UCLA's waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t have anything substantial to add because I’m in the exact same boat haha. But for moving out, I think it’s better to move out and it’s what I plan on doing even though it would be cheaper to live at home. Living at home is never “free” cuz you pay with your sanity :)

Also from the AMCAS traffic rules website it says:
  • If an applicant selects “Commit to Enroll” to a school, all other schools where the applicant also holds an acceptance or alternate-list offer will be notified but will not know the name of the school selected.
  • Selecting “Commit to Enroll” does not automatically withdraw applications from other medical schools. Applicants must communicate directly with all schools about their final decision according to each school’s specific policy.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about UCLA specifically, but there are quite a few schools that have you take Step 1 after rotations. It matters less now that Step 1 is p/f, but there is this article that talked about how Step 1 scores went up when moved to after clerkship. Anecdotally, some people find it easier after rotations and clinical exposure because the material is more relevant and applied and you also are likely studying for shelf exams along the way. Overall, I think its one of those things that is a net neutral. I would consider how much dedicated they give you for both step exams though

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Your analysis seems spot on. Other thoughts: Westwood and the surrounding area are more desirable than USC's location in terms of campus and proximity to L.A.'s cooler cultural and entertainment hotspots. UCLA is a stronger school all around, and the redesigned curriculum seems legit. USC is notoriously cheap with merit aid, so the cost is a big factor in UCLA's favor imo.

I'm biased because I practically grew up on the UCLA campus many, many years ago and am allergic to anything involving "Tommy Trojan" and the incessant marching band drone of Conquest at football games. So, grain of salt and all that. :)

If it were me, I'd hold out as long as possible for UCLA.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user