Diabetes/Insulin Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InsulinJunkie93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have had diabetes for a quite a while now. My question is about how too much insulin makes your blood sugar low.

If I understand the process correctly, Insulin allows glucose to enter and be used by your cells. If this is the case, then wouldn't a lot of insulin mean that you have more glucose in your cells? I don't understand how this makes you low? I know that this means that there is less sugar in you blood, but if that sugar is in your cells then why would you feel weak and tired?

I know that I have to be confused about how insulin actually works, or how your body responds to having less sugar in the blood and more in the cells... or both...?

I would appreciate any clarifications :)

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably just wikipedia it, but in short insulin is going to make glucose (sugar) disproportionally go into certain cells (like skeletal muscle and fat cells) and take it out of your blood so that it is not available to other cells that are not affected by insulin (like in your brain).

Hello,

I have had diabetes for a quite a while now. My question is about how too much insulin makes your blood sugar low.

If I understand the process correctly, Insulin allows glucose to enter and be used by your cells. If this is the case, then wouldn't a lot of insulin mean that you have more glucose in your cells? I don't understand how this makes you low? I know that this means that there is less sugar in you blood, but if that sugar is in your cells then why would you feel weak and tired?

I know that I have to be confused about how insulin actually works, or how your body responds to having less sugar in the blood and more in the cells... or both...?

I would appreciate any clarifications :)

Not the place for medical advice. There are hundreds of thousands of links just one click away on google go read.

Status
Not open for further replies.