Diabetic Ketoacidosis, Notochord and more

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datgirl1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the lengthy post but I have some concept questions that I'm not too sure about. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated!

1) Why does diabetic ketoacidosis (high serum glucose levels) increase respiratory rate, decrease blood pressure and increase heart rate? I thought that high glucose levels would increase blood pressure but that's not the case.

2) Notochord (mesoderm derived) forms the vertebral column and skull (or spine), whereas the neural tube develops into the spinal cord. Is this correct?

3) Is there a difference between blood and plasma osmolarity? For example does aldosterone increase or decrease plasma osmolarity? I read somewhere that ADH is triggered if there is HIGH blood osmolarity, meaning that ADH would lower blood osmolarity. I thought that ADH would increase osmolarity.
I'm also confused about filtrate osmolarity cause I read that increasing filtrate osmolarity decreases filtration and decreases blood pressure. This doesn't make any sense to me.

4) Is it true that a ruptured blood vessel (hemorrhage) causes an increase in arterial pressure?

5) If partial pressure of water vapor increases in the atmosphere, why does partial pressure of oxygen and nitrogen decrease?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Question 1.
DKA is a condition where your insulin cannot take up glucose into the cells from the blood. If your cells cannot utilize the glucose present in the body, then body tries to use fat as a back up source. In the process, it produces acids and it causes a condition called diabetic ketoacidosis.

Acidosis simply means your serum CO2 level is high, so your body will try to get rid of it by breathing faster, so high respiratory rate.
Tachycardia and hypotension are listed as common symptoms of DKA, but I don't know the exact mechanism.

Question 2. I have no clue!

Question 3
ADH increases the amount of water reabsorbed in the kindey, consequently, the blood volume goes up. This means that the osmolarity will decrease, not increase. Maybe you were confused between osmolarity vs blood volume? Blood volume goes up, but osmolarity goes down.

Answering your question about blood/plasma osmolarity causing ADH release, I believe when your blood osmolarity is high, ADH is released. High blood osmolarity means you have lots of solute, but not enough volume, so ADH is released to counteract that. ADH will make the kidney to reabsorb more water back into the blood, so the blood volume goes up, and osmolarity goes down (decreased osmolarity means it's being watered down / diluted)

Questoin 4
I think it's the opposite, but I could be wrong.

Question 5
Seems like this is a mole fraction concept.
O2 and N2 are substances in question. When water vapor is mixed into these gases, mole fraction of O2 and N2 decreases.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I have some concept questions that I'm not too sure about. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated!

1) Why does diabetic ketoacidosis (high serum glucose levels) increase respiratory rate, decrease blood pressure and increase heart rate? I thought that high glucose levels would increase blood pressure but that's not the case.

2) Notochord (mesoderm derived) forms the vertebral column and skull (or spine), whereas the neural tube develops into the spinal cord. Is this correct?

3) Is there a difference between blood and plasma osmolarity? For example does aldosterone increase or decrease plasma osmolarity? I read somewhere that ADH is triggered if there is HIGH blood osmolarity, meaning that ADH would lower blood osmolarity. I thought that ADH would increase osmolarity.
I'm also confused about filtrate osmolarity cause I read that increasing filtrate osmolarity decreases filtration and decreases blood pressure. This doesn't make any sense to me.

4) Is it true that a ruptured blood vessel (hemorrhage) causes an increase in arterial pressure?

5) If partial pressure of water vapor increases in the atmosphere, why does partial pressure of oxygen and nitrogen decrease?

Thanks in advance!!

1) DKA increases respiratory rate bc your body is hyperventilating in order to get rid of excess CO2. DKA is basically lipolysis from Type I Diabetes --> hyperglycemia. Therefore, excess glucose is lost through the urine, carrying a lot of water along with it. Water loss --> hypovolemia --> decreased blood pressure. Your body tries to compensate by constricting the vessels and increasing the heart rate

2) Notochord is the nucleus pulpous of your intervertebral discs

3) There is a set point in term of serum osmolarity. Higher serum osmolarity above this set point --> increased ADH --> higher water retention at the PCT in your renal system --> serum osmolarity goes back to the normal set point. This regulation system is controlled by your hypothalamus.

As for aldosterone, that's another regulation controlled by your renal system. Basically, hypovolemia --> low blood flow through the juxtaglomerular cells --> increased renin + Angiotension I + Angiotension II --> increased aldosterone --> up regulate Enac --> increased Na + H20 retention while losing H+ and K+

4) Depends on the diff stages

5) Mole fraction concept

Reactions: 1 user